Food fundraising for Komani and surrounds
- By: Jacqueline Wijtenburg
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/Food-fundraising-for-Komani-and-surrounds
We, the undersigned civil society activist groups, leading business chamber and forums, faithbased communities and informal farming groups in Komani/Queenstown of the Eastern Cape publicly call on those in our town, and beyond, to donate to a local food security campaign as part of the fight against the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
So many in the Komani townships of Ezibeleni, informal settlements of Mlungisi, the villages of Lesseyton and the VANS area which are currently financially desperate and without food during this Corona Virus lockdown.
This food security campaign aims to mobilise grassroot people’s responses to the Covid-19 crisis and to the growing signs of hunger among citizens throughout these three areas. There are clear signs that many of our people are in distress and facing hunger due to the national lockdown declared by the President, forcing them into a position of being without a salary.
This campaign will strengthen the collaborative partnership among civic organisations at all levels to meet the daily food needs of people in communities during the lockdown period.
These civic organisations fall under the Let’s Talk Komani umbrella, representing all races and religions.
We call all residents, and especially arge businesses, foundations, educational institutions and faith-based organisations to extend a helping hand and generously share as much as you can.
Give what you can and let's raise R178 000 by 25 April for 500 food packs that will be distributed by well known civic associations (not politicians) to the most vulnerable families in Ezibeleni, Mlungisi and Lesseyton during Covid 19 crisis.
You can follow the progress on Let's Talk Komani's Facebook page
We urge our people to open their hearts to the plight of the poor and hungry and to give selflessly to those in need in this hour of human solidarity and compassion.
Let’s do all we can to help our people!
- Border-Kei Chamber of Business
- Muslim Community of Komani
- Black Management Forum Eastern Cape
- Komani Church Leaders Forum
- Komani Foreign Nationals Forum
- Queenstown Education Foundation
- Phakamisa Business Forum
- Farmer in the Enoch Mgijima area
- Queenstown Civic & Ratepayers Association
- Komani Residents’ Association
- Basic Services Group Komani
- VANS Community Group
- Various Public figures
We aim to hand out 500 food parcels that include substantial dry goods and fresh vegetables to boost the immune system.
We have collaborated with local food producers and manufacturers (including farmers), retailers’ distribution centres and a network of trust-worthy community volunteers in each of those areas to get food and hand soap flowing to those who need it most.
Reaching our target will mean that we will be providing nutrition and increased safety to a family in communities whose elderly are vulnerable and whose children normally rely on school feeding schemes for meal support.
By donating, these families will still be able to eat even as our economy recovers from the Covid19 lockdown.
Let’s Talk Komani will spend your donation on:
• Buying food at discounted prices (samp, rice, flour, beans, sugar, tea, oil and fresh vegetables
• Administration (with photo reports) of the distribution channels in Ezibeleni, Mlungisi, Lesseyton and the VANS area.
*As per the campaign creator’s request, funds raised will be paid directly to the relevant institution*
- May 17, 2020 - USD $ 53.79
- "Hey Jax, good luck with your work " - HA Apps
- Apr 26, 2020 - R 210.00
- "May God be with everyone during this difficult time." - Jamie de Wet
- Apr 20, 2020 - R 200.00
- "I hope this helps get food to those who really need it in this crisis. " - Adre Bartis
- Apr 18, 2020 - R 5 250.00
- "Towards this very necessary cause." - David & Ruth Miles
- Apr 17, 2020 - R 212.00
Let us begin to live more simply so that others can simply live" - Anonymous
- Apr 15, 2020 - R 52.50
- "Something to help with the effort to take care of our town's poorest" - Hennie de Beer
- Apr 15, 2020 - R 212.00
God bless" - Anonymous
- Apr 10, 2020 - R 512.00
Blessings" - Anon
- Apr 09, 2020 - R 525.00
- "A lot of people doing their small part adds up to making a massive difference to those who are in desperate need. " - Anonymous
- Apr 09, 2020 - R 210.00
- "We all need to help with what we can. " - Anonymous
- Apr 09, 2020 - R 210.00
- "" - Samantha Pohlmann
- Apr 09, 2020 - R 300.00
- "From the Pringle family, Victoria Park, Queenstown" - Cliff Pringle
Donations to dateR 704 011.09
Fundraising targetR 177 550.00
Funds raised offlineR 695 461.00 Donate
Food Fundraising for Komani and Surrounds Cause
We, the undersigned civil society activists, leaders of business forums and chambers and religious leaders in Komani/Queenstown of the Eastern Cape publicly call on those in our town, and beyond, to donate to a local food security campaign as part of the fight against the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.