- By: Mizia Davids
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/aakif-davids
My name is Lameez Davids (29). I am raising money for my nephew, Aakif Davids.
Aakif is 7 months old and lives in Lenasia, Johannesburg with his parents Fazil and Mizia and three sisters. He is diagnosed with severe combined immunodeficiency (SCID).
What is severe combined immunodeficiency (SCID)? SCID is a group of very rare, life-threatening diseases that are present at birth. The disease causes the child to have very little or no immune system. As a result, the child's body is unable to fight off infections.
The best treatment for this disease is a bone marrow transplant (BMT), which, in most cases, would cure the problem.
Without a bone marrow transplant, a child with SCID is at risk of developing a severe or deadly infection. While waiting for a bone marrow transplant, patients are treated with intravenous immune globulin (IVIG), which helps the immune system fight off illness. Antibiotics, antifungals, and antivirals are given to treat infections associated with SCID. Without treatment, most patients do not live beyond one year from birth.
Approximately one in 100,000 children are born with this disease. These children become very ill with illnesses such as pneumonia, meningitis, and chickenpox and can die within the first year of their life. With new advances in treatments for these children, however, children with SCID can be successfully treated.
Unfortunately, due to financial difficulties, we are unable to afford the bone marrow transplant. THE BONE MARROW TRANSPLANT OPERATION IS ESTIMATED AT R1.5 MILLION.
Gene therapy as a treatment for some types of SCID has shown promising results in clinical trials but has some risks so is not yet widely used. Research on gene therapy for SCID is ongoing. We lost our first child to the same disease. Due to lack of resources, an are desperately in need of any help an assistant would be highly appreciated.
We are raising funds for an urgent bone marrow transplant which is estimated to cost around 1.5million. Our government hospitals are not equipped to deal with this procedure, therefore, it has to be done in a private hospital.
The real amount needed is R2.5 Million. We have started this campaign with an amount of 1.5 million. We thank you for any donation that can contribute to saving his life.
- May 19, 2019 - R 507.50
- "May Allah grant him complete shifa Ameen " - Nadia
- May 16, 2019 - USD $ 7.40
- "I hope even this small amount can help. " - Anonymous
- May 13, 2019 - R 210.00
- "My prayers go out to you and your family. I pray that our Great and Almighty Lord will heal you and bring you safely and healthy back home " - Tammy
- May 11, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "May allah make it easy for this lil champ" - Anon
- May 10, 2019 - R 514.10
- "May God be with you Aakif and your family" - M Brown
- May 06, 2019 - R 500.00
- "You are in our prayers" - farouk
- May 02, 2019 - R 500.00
- "I wiil pray for you Fakkil" - C. Pretorius
- May 02, 2019 - R 5 000.00
- "Sending our prayrers" - Anonymous
- May 01, 2019 - R 102.82
- "May God bless everyone donating to the healing off your natural body " - God bless you
- Apr 30, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "Good luck" - Jonny
- Apr 30, 2019 - R 5 141.00
- "All lives matter" - Anonymous
- Apr 30, 2019 - R 1 010.00
- "God bless" - Corrie
- Apr 29, 2019 - R 101.50
- "Sterkte." - Stella
- Apr 29, 2019 - R 514.10
- "God Bless you all." - Noah K