Help Amen Walk Again
- By: Brian Yuyi
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/amen-makonese
*** UPDATE: 17th SEPTEMBER 2019 ***
** If you are reading this for the first time, please take a minute or two to see where we started from by reading the original appeal with these two updates **
Today was a great day! In fact, it was an excellent day for Amen. We have new news, good news, excellent news! Today, Amen went in to see the eminent Orthopaedic Surgeon and a Physician at Mediclinic Sandton per our last update. He has been found to be in robust health and great shape for the bilateral operation.
We urgently need the funds as we have tight timescales after today in which the operation can be done. This is on two fronts; the medical side based on today’s assessment and even more critical, on the cost side as the significant cost reductions we have secured are time-limited.
Please donate generously.
We are depending on you to get Amen walking again; at the very least by Christmas 2019.
Your continued support is deeply appreciated.
*** UPDATE: 9th SEPTEMBER 2019 ***
Thank you very much for your generous donations, support and encouragement since the launch of the campaign. Our ultimate goal remains to soon get Amen to walk again so he can he can be in position to get back to work after 3 years without formal employment which as you can imagine has been a tough stretch.
Other than donations, support has come in many forms. The good news is that through the efforts of some SABMiller Africa Alumni, we have found an Orthopaedic Surgeon in Johannesburg who can do the full procedure at a much lower cost of R324, 000.00. This is now our new fundraising target. That said, at our current level of R47, 300.00, we are still way off the target. We urge you to kindly donate to this worthy cause.
Amen will be seeing this new surgeon on 17th September for a complete re-appraisal of his condition. As soon as we can get in the funds, the operation should happen thereafter.
We will keep you updated as and when we get new information.
Thank you for your continued support.
My name is Brian Yuyi. I am launching this campaign to help a dear friend and former workmate get back on his feet. Back on his feet, literally! You see, a few years ago, my dear friend, one of the most tenacious, vibrant and energetic people I have had the privilege to know had the misfortune of suffering from a degenerative hip joint issue which rendered him unable to walk without the aid of crutches.
This really could have happened to anyone, but knowing Amen, you’d never know what he has been dealing with He has carried on as his usual bustling self as a prolific private entrepreneur and loving father to his family. The sheer resilience of Bra Mak, as we call him, in the face of adversity is the stuff of heroes, and this has inspired me to reach out to you, to help us get this amazing man back to his feet.
Amen requires bilateral hip surgery for a metal prosthesis to help him walk unaided again. I have come across very few people as positive and tenacious as Amen. A real fighting spirit to the core. Added to that, it has taken me nearly 2 years to convince Amen to agree to have other people outside his immediate family to help with this very expensive surgery. Per his usual demeanour, he was going to fight this come hell or high water using what he has at his immediate and own disposal.
Using his ability to make friends and network at all levels of life, Bra Mak managed to get onto a treatment list at a government hospital but a recent change in regulations scuppered three years of waiting and work. The only option is the private health route and thus this campaign.
The Orthopaedic Surgeon has indicated that he wants to carry out the bilateral hip surgery in two stages, six weeks apart. Theatre time will be scheduled as soon as we have raised all the requisite funds.
The funds will be utilised as follows:
Mulbarton Netcare Hospital 158 870.03
Dr Ravi Bhaga Orthopaedic Surgeon 50 000.00
Dr TW Fung - Specialist Anaesthesiologist 13 778.58
Corin PTY Ltd - Metal Hip Prosthesis 30 000.00
Subtotal for SINGLE Hip 252 648.61
Therefore, Estimated Cost for BILATERAL (Double) Hip Operation 505 297.22
Contingency @ 10% 50 529.72
GRAND TOTAL 555 826.94
Rounded Off FUNDRAISING TARGET 560 000.00
Backabuddy will hold the funds and disburse to all service providers as and when required.
This is to help our dear friend, brother, husband, father, uncle, to get back on his feet and walk unaided so that he can be as productive as ever.
Your kind donations will be held by the Backabuddy Organisation and paid straight into the various service providers accounts i.e. the Orthopaedic Surgeon, Anaesthesiologist, Netcare Mulbarton Hospital and other medical personnel as relevant. For further transparency, Pastor Lambert and Ms Cardoso have kindly agreed to audit the use of all donated funds. Your help is really appreciated.
*Funds raised will be transferred directly to the relevant medical practitioner.*
- Oct 18, 2019 - R 51 410.00
- "Hope it’s a life changer my friend " - D and H
- Oct 11, 2019 - R 2 056.40
- "All the best Amen" - Brian
- Oct 08, 2019 - USD $ 52.10
- "Best wishes" - Jon
- Oct 08, 2019 - R 514.10
- "To a speedy recovery..." - Anonymous
- Sep 29, 2019 - R 3 000.00
- "Best wishes " - FCK
- Sep 28, 2019 - USD $ 210.40
- "Be strong" - FP
- Sep 26, 2019 - R 10 150.00
- "Wish you a blessed success and life!" - Edwin
- Sep 23, 2019 - R 3 510.00
- "Hope it all goes well on your recovery! " - Mafalda
- Sep 22, 2019 - R 5 141.00
- "Dear Amen Chomma....I wish you strength and blessings through this ordeal-keep us posted so that we can come to visit you my friend...in our thoughts & prayers...Ally" - Alastair Hewitt
- Sep 21, 2019 - USD $ 167.13
- "All the best Amen" - Thabiso
- Sep 21, 2019 - R 3 084.60
- "You are in our thoughts and prayers Amen" - CWC
- Sep 20, 2019 - USD $ 428.46
- " Makonese family in Canada and UK our contributions towards this plea! Most grateful for setting this up" - Makonese Family UK & Canada
- Sep 20, 2019 - R 514.10
- "All the best and good luck for the procedure Amen!" - GC
- Sep 20, 2019 - USD $ 214.23
- "????????" - Natalia
- Sep 20, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Good luck Amen! I hope it all goes well." - Bethan
- Sep 19, 2019 - R 1 000.00
- "Best wishes brother! May God bless you (and Brian for this initiative)" - Lazelle T
- Sep 11, 2019 - USD $ 15.00
- "Praying for God's hand on your life ????????" - Joy
- Aug 23, 2019 - USD $ 12.35
- "All the best Sir!." - Sabuku
- Aug 22, 2019 - R 3 084.60
- "All the best Amen ???????? " - George Mutendadzamera
- Aug 22, 2019 - R 514.10
- "All the best Amen! Keep pushing forward." - Iwisi
- Aug 15, 2019 - USD $ 167.89
- "Get well soon" - Mainini Cleaner
- Aug 12, 2019 - R 1 010.00
- "Dear Amen, sorry to hear of your health but wishing you strength, from the 2JS feisty 9111 Terry Terry P" - Terry
- Aug 11, 2019 - R 2 056.40
- "Get well soon brother " - Anonymous
- Aug 11, 2019 - USD $ 151.95
- "Get well soon and all the best with your treatment " - John & Fik
- Aug 11, 2019 - USD $ 25.33
- "All the best " - Anonymous
- Aug 08, 2019 - USD $ 34.91
- "Good luck Amen! " - Thomas
- Aug 06, 2019 - R 500.00
- "May the Good Lord provide the means" - Allen
- Aug 05, 2019 - USD $ 213.43
- "Good luck Amen!" - Natalia
- Aug 05, 2019 - R 514.10
- "With so much love from yo mother... Mainini Clina Jr" - Clina Manwa Jr
- Aug 05, 2019 - R 2 010.00
- "The good lord watches over you. Don’t despair. God bless" - Ken
- Aug 05, 2019 - R 20 010.00
- "You are a true inspiration Amen" - KT
- Aug 04, 2019 - USD $ 14.23
- "So sorry Amen. Dear family friend to my sister Pretty Maphosa. Wish you all the best." - Vee Maphosa
- Aug 04, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Wishing you a speedy recovery Amen. Thanks Brian for this initiative " - Vilosha
- Aug 04, 2019 - R 2 056.40
- "Get better soon Amen!" - Catherine Day
- Aug 04, 2019 - R 1 015.00
- "What an incredible example you are to those around you, mostly your children. I hope this target is reached! " - Jessica Cardoso
- Aug 04, 2019 - USD $ 121.61
- "It is comming together" - Don
- Aug 04, 2019 - R 507.50
- "Get well bro" - PK
- Aug 04, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "Gods grace is sufficient for today. Stay strong " - Grace
- Aug 04, 2019 - R 1 015.00
- "I know him personally and what an amazing person he is. Keep on smiling!" - AMY
- Aug 04, 2019 - R 205.64
- "We walk by faith - not sight" - Faith sees
- Aug 03, 2019 - USD $ 7.16
- "All the best Mr Makonese" - Bleezy