SUPPORT A DIABETIC
- By: Anita Nortje
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/anita-nortje
My name is Anita Nortje, I am 55 years old, and I am raising funds to buy the Dexcom G6 glucose monitoring system.
I have been a type 1 diabetic for the past 43 years. I am married and have 3 sons. I am a runner and have completed 10 Two Oceans half marathons and lots of other races.
Controlling blood sugar levels is always a challenge. Because of being a diabetic for so long, I lost warning signs of low sugar and thus had a few comas the past year. I am training 5 days a week as part of managing my diabetes.
The Dexcom G6 'continuous glucose' monitoring system sends results to the app on my phone every 5 minutes; 24 hours a day. This will be especially helpful when I am running and late at night when I am at risk of falling into a coma.
Due to comas that can cause serious injuries as a result of low blood sugar, I need the Dexcom G6 that can warn me when my sugar levels are dropping, so that I can prevent future incidents.
Reaching my target will mean that I can live a quality life as a type 1 diabetic and not be caught off guard with dangerous low sugar levels and a possible coma. My medical aid does not cover the Dexcom G6.
Funds raised will be used for Dexcom G6 glucose monitoring for 1 year.
2 x Sensors per month - R2 530 x 12
4 x Transmitters per year - R5 060
- Jan 09, 2020 - R 7 197.40
- "Health to Anita" - PhilandPenni
- Jan 08, 2020 - R 2 570.50
- "To your health" - PhilandPenni
- Dec 24, 2019 - R 1 000.00
- "Blessings" - KandA
- Dec 06, 2019 - R 1 542.30
- "All the best. God bless." - Anonymous
- Dec 04, 2019 - R 210.00
Hoop dit help" - Me
- Dec 01, 2019 - R 411.28
- "All the best" - Anonymous
- Nov 30, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "Voorspoed en sterkte." - anonymous