Barry's Tour de France
- By: Barry Phillips
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/barrys-tour-de-france
“A journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step”
So says the ancient Chinese proverb. For Barry Phillips his journey of 1000 miles (1600 km) starts with a single push of a pedal in St Malo a chilly Channel port in the north of France on 30th May. His destination? Nice - on the Cote D’Azur of the sun blessed Mediterranean.
He will ride this iconic Channel to Med odyssey organised by Saddle Skeddadle - www.skedaddle.co.uk - with some 16 other cyclists. The first half passes through the quaint villages in the undulating farming landscape of rural France heading south to the banks of the Loire – France’s longest river and then into the rolling hills of the Dordogne.
Heading east, the second more challenging half begins in the mountainous region of southern France but the vineyards of the Rhone Valley, home to many world renowned wine regions like Chateauneuf-du-Pape, will be reminiscent of Franschhoek.
And 18 days later after an average daily distance of over 90km and a total ascent equal to almost twice the height of Everest the odyssey ends with a ride along the Promenade des Anglais in Nice and a very welcome dip in the warm waters of the Med!
Although it may be a bucket list ride for Barry he would like it to be a fundraiser for four Franschhoek NGOs – Kusasa, FRANCO, Franschhoek Hospice and Franschhoek SPCA. For Kusasa it will be for the cost of one child for a year at its Early Leaning Centre – R30000; for FRANCO it will be for skills development courses for school leavers; for Franschhoek Hospice it will help pay for a much needed car for its outreach programme; and for Franschhoek SPCA it will pay for 50 sterilisations for its absolutely vital and ongoing township sterilisation programme.
Barry has set himself an ambitious target - 120 sponsors each committing to pay R1 (more or less is equally welcome) for every mile of his 1000 mile journey. Will you be one of them? For more info go to https://www.barrystourdefrance.co.za/
To contribute, please click the 'donate' button next to the barometer!
- May 16, 2018 - USD $ 28.10
- "good luck, Barry" - Anonymous
- May 16, 2018 - R 1 028.20
- "to complete the proverb "and ends with a thousand blisters"! Wow very brave, good luck and have fun!" - Tom and Heidi C
- May 15, 2018 - USD $ 145.10
- "Va Va Voom Barry. We are in awe. Roger and Astrid" - Roger
- May 13, 2018 - USD $ 14.24
- "Good luck!" - T Adams
- May 12, 2018 - USD $ 81.64
- "Hi Barry! What a ride! You are amazing! God luck! All the best for you!" - Mike & Harriet
- May 12, 2018 - USD $ 85.89
- "Best of luck, Barry. We know you will do it." - George and Elma Perry
- May 11, 2018 - R 1 028.20
- "We know you can do it, Barry. You are amazing!! xoxo" - Monte and Gary
- May 11, 2018 - USD $ 85.49
- "Good luck Barry!!" - Leonard and Elree Seelig
- May 10, 2018 - R 855.18
- "Go Barry Go! We think you're crazy but good on you!" - Kitty and Michael
- May 09, 2018 - USD $ 16.72
- "Good luck Barry!" - Jill & Fraser
- May 09, 2018 - R 876.20
- "Good luck - hope it won't be too hot. Well done, Barry" - MarionG
- May 08, 2018 - USD $ 340.37
- "A really great project - well done! And enjoy all those "Midi" stops en route. Looking forward to hearing all about it when we next meet up." - Sean and Sara
- May 05, 2018 - R 1 738.77
- "Well done for taking the challenge. Enjoy" - Lyn and Jeffrey
- May 04, 2018 - R 1 000.00
- "Worthy causes Barry. Have fun." - Malcolm & Andrea
- May 03, 2018 - R 1 028.20
- "Have more fun" - Cheryl Roux
- May 03, 2018 - R 1 028.20
- "Have fun" - Cheryl Roux
- May 03, 2018 - USD $ 82.86
- "Good luck Barry, ride like the wind" - Jenni and Johnno
- Apr 30, 2018 - USD $ 42.66
- "Way to go Daddy...literally! - Part 2" - Sasha Phillips
- Apr 30, 2018 - R 514.10
- "Way to go Daddy...literally! - Part 1" - Sasha Phillips
Donations to dateR 106 346.12
Fundraising targetR 120 000.00
Funds raised offlineR 85 767.00 Donate
Barry Phillips - Tour de France
Barry Phillips cycling journey of 1000 miles (1600 km) starts with a single push of a pedal in St Malo a chilly Channel port in the north of France on 30th May. Although it may be a bucket list ride for Barry, he would like it to be a fundraiser for four Franschhoek NGOs – Kusasa, FRANCO, Franschhoek Hospice and Franschhoek SPCA.