Free to be Me
- By: Bernadette Francois
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/bernadette
My name is Bernadette Francois (47 years old) and I live in Roodepoort, Johannesburg.
I am raising funds to purchase a Motorised Wheelchair and assistive equipment.
I am a paraplegic and have been for the past 38 years. My condition is called Spinal Muscular Atrophy, which is a rare neuromuscular disorder characterised by loss of motor neurons and progressive muscle wasting. This means that I have limited use of my arms making it difficult for me to push myself in a manual wheelchair.
Ten years ago I was blessed to be employed by a company who recognised my challenge and purchased a motorised wheelchair for me. Since then I have been retrenched and I am now finding that my wheelchair has become old and problematic (control panel, batteries etc.).
Although she has served me well and we have been through lots together I really need to replace her soon before she gives up completely. I do not know how I would ever be able to manage with a manual wheelchair again.
Having a motorised wheelchair has given me a freedom that I could never have imagined. It means that I can go out on my own, unassisted. I can actually reach the stove to cook meals for my family. I can go out to work using public transport and not have to rely on people to transport me.
Having the power wheelchair means that I am able to provide for my family and that I am independent.
Sadly, the power wheelchair is not affordable for me and many others in similar positions. The cost of a wheelchair is around R32 000 and a memory foam cushion plus other assistive equipment around R10 000. This is where I need your assistance to raise funds for me to remain mobile and be free to be me...
- Jul 31, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Thank you or always making me laugh. And the best roti and brazed cabbage recipe!" - Stephan
- Jul 31, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Smile & Wave when you hv yr new wheels. Much Love" - Lavyrle & Tamiqua
- Jul 31, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Good luck and wave when you go by in your new wheels" - Neighbour
- Jul 31, 2019 - USD $ 14.09
- "You really deserve a new set of wheels Bern!" - Luzal
- Jul 25, 2019 - USD $ 36.06
- "No limits!" - Nick
- Jul 25, 2019 - R 203.00
- "Hoping this small donation helps towards your new wheelchair :-)" - Anonymous
- Jul 22, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Hot wheels" - Kim
- Jul 14, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Good luck " - Erika
- Jul 13, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Good luck on your journey.....shoot for the stars!" - Jo-Anne
- Jul 11, 2019 - USD $ 37.10
- "Good luck" - Anonymous
- Jul 10, 2019 - R 205.64
- "??" - Sa'adah
- Jul 10, 2019 - R 102.82
- "Go for it!" - Eva van Belle
- Jul 04, 2019 - R 210.00
- "Made with Love" - Pickles
- Jul 03, 2019 - R 1 000.00
- "????" - Anonymous
- Jul 03, 2019 - R 507.50
- "be free my friend!" - Cleo
- Jul 02, 2019 - R 110.00
- "Blessings" - Noah's mom
- Jul 01, 2019 - R 203.00
- "Xxx best of luck!" - Jana
- Jul 01, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Be Free to be you! Much Love" - Maz
- Jul 01, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "The freedom of wheels" - Scully
- Jul 01, 2019 - R 51.41
- "Free to be you" - Anonymous