YOLANDA VALENTINE OF FALSE BAY RECYCLING.
- By: Charlotte
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/big-waste-wake-up
Did you know that trash can be a lifeline?
In the suburb of Masiphumelele, outside Fish Hoek, Cape Town, families are struggling to make ends meet. We have an easy way you can help!
Yolanda Valentine inherited the False Bay Recycling buy-back centre on Lekkerwater Road from her father and has become a lifeline for 20 families who collect and sell recyclables to her for cash. Angels Resource Centre landed at her site and saw something few can see: that the sporadic street cleaning services and general neglect has created an amazing opportunity for those struggling to survive.
Angels Resource Centre (https://www.angelsinc.co.za/) trains and mentors entrepreneurs in recycling. The Big Waste Wake-Up programme was launched in 2017 and has successfully supported survivalist businesses in small towns across Northern Cape, where employment options are severely limited but where trash is a major problem.
To begin the process of change in the Peninsula, we’re partnering with Yolanda to help expand her options: from this point, she can pay more people, accept more items for recycling, and create a community hub where workshops in ecobricking, making furniture and art from upcycled items, and provide mentoring to entrepreneurs.
With your help, Yolanda will be able to manage a fleet of trolley-preneurs throughout Masi. All funds raised will be allocated to income generating assets, meaning False Bay Trading can pay a higher rate to the entrepreneurs for the recyclables they collect and also train more people in how to earn a living through recycling.
Please support the efforts by Yolanda and local entrepreneurs in cleaning up their environment by donating to this campaign
- Apr 16, 2019 - R 1 000.00
- "Well done Angels!" - Rotary Club Cape of Good Hope
- Feb 27, 2019 - R 510.00
- "Go Girl! So happy that this is happening." - Fran
- Feb 26, 2019 - R 212.84
- "Hope you reach your target soon" - Elton
- Feb 18, 2019 - R 308.46
- "Sounds like such a workable plan" - Suzanne
- Feb 08, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Well done Yolanda, good luck with your new business. " - Kay
- Feb 06, 2019 - R 102.82
- "Waste not, want not :-)" - AntonS
- Feb 06, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Congratulations Yolanda. We are very proud of you" - Lizelle Coombs
- Sep 26, 2018 - R 400.00
- "I've got someone in mind who'd I'd love to put through this program. Hope you reach your goal quickly and good luck with this great project! I'll follow with interest." - Adrienne Pace
- Aug 20, 2018 - R 102.82
- "Lizelle Check-in.." - Lizelle
- Aug 20, 2018 - R 257.05
- "The journey to success starts with an Angelbrick" - Charlotte Thornton
Angels Resource Centres
Our vision is to establish sustainable small businesses through the upliftment of rural and survivalist entrepreneurs. Many of these entrepreneurs are talented and have great ideas, but face challenges that are greater than their current capacity.
Our mission is to deliver programmes that tackle these challenges head-on and focus on developing the critical entrepreneurial skills that are often overlooked, but needed for these entrepreneurs to succeed. We want to create a world in which people identify their own solutions and can provide for their communities.