Cape to Cairo Challenge
- By: Simon Manda
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/cape-to-cairo
My name is Simon Manda (45) and I live in Johannesburg. I am the Fundraiser and Media Liaison for the Challenge.
In early 2018, Megan Werner founded U-Dream Global, a non-profit organization and ambitious aviation outreach initiative that fosters visionary thinking, inspiring young people to pursue their dreams while promoting and supporting innovation, technology and entrepreneurship as necessary key drivers for Africa’s development and transformation.
Under the guidance and supervision from The Airplane Factory, U-Dream mentors and five team leaders from Denel Aviation, twenty inexperienced teenagers from diverse backgrounds across South Africa, built a Sling-4 aircraft in a highly controlled environment within three weeks in June 2018.
Following final inspections and flight certifications, Megan and various teen co-pilots are now set to fly the light aircraft from Cape Town to Cairo and back from June 2019, visiting several African countries and impacting thousands of lives during the project.
U-Dream Global’s Cape to Cairo Programme is an ambitious aviation outreach initiative that fosters visionary thinking, inspiring young people to pursue their dreams while promoting and supporting innovation, technology and entrepreneurship as necessary key drivers for Africa’s development and transformation.
The programme creates safe real-world experiences, specifically designed to discover young people’s strengths and accelerate their growth. Through effective training, U Dream Global equips the youth with success tools and methods, forming a solid foundation which enables them to create a powerful future
This is a great achievement and they are proud to represent this country.
The fundraising drive will raise money to cater for logistics on the ground in the targeted African cities during the trip, the fuelling of the planes as well as any other project needs during the challenge.
Various media platforms and outlets will be engaged via print, social media, radio and television to maximize publicity and public engagement of this unique undertaking.
The publicity and fundraising drive for the project aims to motivate and inspire the African youth that it is possible to dream as it is all possible with a vision, teamwork and the right resources.
1. To raise awareness and publicity of the groundbreaking project by U Dream
2. To help foster visionary thinking, inspiring young people to pursue their dreams while
promoting and supporting innovation, technology, and entrepreneurship
3. To engage youth in different countries across the targeted destinations for a “dream African child” motivation engagement
Sponsorship for the following will be most welcome:
• Fuel for the trip and experience excursions for the youth across African countries visited
• Accommodation for the crew and support team about 10 people.
•. Event Management components in the respective African towns and cities to be visited.
• Landing Fees for the multiple excursions as we take multiple flip experiences for the youth across the African countries to be visited
We are aiming to raise funds by June 30 2019.
The trip starts on the 12th June 2019 and will take more than a month. Sponsorship components will be ongoing as the Challenge rolls out
Thousands and thousands of children across the African towns and cities to be visited will benefit immensely from the Challenge via meetups, motivational seminars and interaction to be included in future U dream Global initiatives that touch on innovation, technology and entrepreneurship
Find U-Dream online: https://www.udream.co.za
U-Dream on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/buildourplane/
*Funds raised will be administered directly to U Dream Global for all logistics and needs by Backabuddy*
- Jun 24, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "Good luck with your endeavour!" - catherine Heukelman
- Jun 24, 2019 - USD $ 31.39
- "Dream big and may all your dreams come true." - Ursula Keene
- Jun 20, 2019 - USD $ 14.70
- "All the best " - Greg
- Jun 15, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Do us proud! " - Carlo
- Jun 14, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Fly safe! And enjoy" - Airhog
- Jun 14, 2019 - R 1 010.00
- "What an awesome vision and dream. Godspeed!" - Karen
- Jun 12, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Best o luck" - Martin
- Jun 11, 2019 - R 10.28
- "May God Bless!" - Tat
- Jun 07, 2019 - R 514.10
- "To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe. Well done on your bravery and good luck on your inspiring trip." - Agnaldo Mussanhane
- Jun 06, 2019 - USD $ 53.04
- "O-WOW, what an exceptional initiative! Soar babies, Soar, fly high! And yes anything is possible because you are living proof of it. " - Our World Our Way #OWOW2017
- Jun 05, 2019 - R 51.41
- "Proud to South African" - Well wisher
- Jun 05, 2019 - R 2 570.50
- "Wishing you all of the best for the journey!" - Brad Cochrane
- Jun 02, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "Will be following you with great interest" - Lisa phillips
- Jun 01, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Thank you for dedication" - Katlego
- Jun 01, 2019 - R 507.50
- "Ure aiming 4 the Moon, we know ull reach the Stars, what inspirational teens! " - Niven Family
- Jun 01, 2019 - USD $ 10.52
- "You will all remember this great experience. Best Wishes " - Oliver Downey
- May 31, 2019 - USD $ 125.02
- "Best of luck from an UK pilot ... wishing you every success" - Prof Lew Schnurr
- May 31, 2019 - USD $ 214.23
- "GREAT (team!)work you guys! Fantastic story, enjoy your flights across Africa and BE CAREFUL! Very inspiring!" - Glenn Behrmann
- May 31, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "Beste wense. Trots op julle!" - Jaco Visser
- May 30, 2019 - USD $ 7.17
- "Go guys!" - Suz in USA
- May 30, 2019 - R 210.00
- "Enjoy!" - Ronel
- May 30, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Impressive Project for you young guys - a pleasure to help!" - Allan
- May 30, 2019 - USD $ 35.13
- "Congratulations on your project. All the best and enjoy flying over Africa. " - Mhlengi
- May 30, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "Good luck girls and guys! Have fun!" - Alex Wicht
- May 30, 2019 - R 507.50
- "HAVE FUN DOING THIS CHALLENGE!!!" - DESMOND DAVIDSON
- May 30, 2019 - R 2 000.00
- "Great to see young people do something and not just sitting around waiting for something to happen. Well done to all of you." - 4x4 Direct
- May 29, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Well done! I love this and I hope you all have a fantastic time! " - Christopher McWilliams
- May 28, 2019 - R 50.00
- "Impressive young minds! All the best for the trip!" - @porkyspeople
- May 28, 2019 - R 50.75
- "You guys got this!" - Brad
- May 28, 2019 - R 17.35
- "Good luck guys! " - Anonymous
- May 28, 2019 - R 20.56
- "All the best in your endevours!" - Pete
Cape to Cairo Challenge Cause
U-Dream Global is raising funds for the equipment and costs involved in the Cape to Cairo Challenge which starts on the 12th June 2019 and will take more than a month.
Please help spread the word