Carmen's Battle with MS
- By: Carmen Dickinson
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/carmens-battle-with-ms
The disease I have is progressive and can cripple you over time. My Neurologist says I am deteriorating already. The treatment I’m using is currently not helping me, I’m having continuous relapses.
This disease is attacking my whole body, so I stay weak with a lot of infections. If I don’t halt this disease I will worsen... I’m struggling to walk properly, I'm off balance and limp badly. I will end up in a wheelchair if I don’t have this treatment.
With Relapsing Remitting Multiple Sclerosis, the closest thing to a cure is HSCT a stem cell transplant Chemotherapy, which is used to shut down the whole immune system. All the diseased parts immune system is destroyed by the chemotherapy, then one's own stem cells are put back into your body.
I plan to have treatment at UCT Private Academic Hospital Cape Town (Professor Novitsky). The treatment is very expensive (its a risky procedure, not FDA approved and not covered by Medical Aid) so if I don't raise funds for the treatment, I will use the funds raised via this campaign to help me with many medical bills, food, and clothing. I also need to make my house MS Friendly as well as walking aids.
To my family and friends: This will be a life changing procedure for me, or a an improved quality of life and a chance to see my young kids grow up.
- Oct 08, 2018 - R 250.00
- "As we get established, we hope to do more." - Battery Centre Plumstead
- Aug 16, 2018 - USD $ 73.90
- "Best wishes Carmen ??" - Annemarie
- Aug 13, 2018 - USD $ 10.11
- "This isn’t much, but wanted to donate something" - Niki
- Jul 14, 2018 - USD $ 15.08
- "May G-d bless you with a speedy recovery and good health." - Daryl Garb
- Jun 25, 2018 - USD $ 31.56
- "I saw your post on a Facebook community page.. Good luck Carmen, I really hope you can have the treatment." - Vikki Bergoff
- Jun 18, 2018 - R 210.00
- "Love you, Carmen. Will try to add as I am able :-*" - Janice
- May 30, 2018 - USD $ 37.36
- "Hope you reach your target Carmen, from someone who’s been where you are ... but after HSCT I have a second chance, I was using a walker but don’t need it now! Everyone, please donate xx" - Colleen Daniels