The Childrens Cardiac Foundation of Africa Trust
- By: Claire Lister
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/claire-for-tccfa
Personal messageI am a CHD warrior, and I am running The Goss & Balfe Sapphire Coast Half Marathon to raise funds for all the CHD children so that they too can have a chance at a 'normal' life. I am running for those who can't.
CHD – Congenital heart defect.
1 in every 100 babies born are diagnosed with a heart defect across the world, 1 in 3 CHD babies leave the hospital completely undiagnosed and twice as many babies die from CHDs as those from all forms of childhood cancer combined, yet, not only is CHD hardly known or spoken about, but also, government spend little to nothing on heart related research projects towards CHDs in infants.
CHD hearts are hearts that have not been formed properly, they either have holes between chambers, have incomplete or missing parts, are put together the wrong way, have narrow or leaky valves, have narrow vessels, or even (and often) multiple of these defects.
The Children’s Cardiac Foundation of Africa Trust is a South African NGO that assists children born with a structural heart defect to receive free corrective heart surgery.
We help children who suffer from treatable congenital heart defects such as Atrial septal defect - an abnormal hole between the upper two chambers of the heart, Ventricular septal defect – small to large sized holes between the lower chambers of the heart, Patent ductus arteriosus - a persistent connection between the aortic arch and the pulmonary artery can cause excess blood flow to the lungs and other conditions.
We are currently based in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal where over 400 children are waiting for life-saving surgery in state hospitals.
Since our launch in April 2019, we have fixed 4 little hearts.
Our founder and world renowned paediatric cardiac surgeon, Prof. Robin Kinsley’s wish is for us to save as many children in Africa as possible.
Be part of something special. Be a Heart Hero.
- Mar 14, 2020 - R 210.00
- "There for you every step of the way. You have a huge heart!" - Jenna
- Mar 12, 2020 - USD $ 12.45
- "Good luck for Deloitte Challenge Claire. You can do it. ???" - Jill Robertson
- Nov 01, 2019 - R 300.00
- "Well done Claire, so proud of you. " - Geert Dos Santos
- Oct 27, 2019 - R 203.00
- "My daughter is a heart warrior, 5 years old and 3 open heart surgeries later she is a winner just like you! Thank you for spreading hope. " - Riyaad Bull
- Oct 26, 2019 - R 200.00
- "Amazing Claire... Have a fabulous run x" - Suzanne
- Oct 22, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Wow Claire, wow. ??????" - Jill Robertson
- Oct 10, 2019 - USD $ 13.17
- "To my darling girl with a heart of gold" - Catherine Sauzier
- Oct 09, 2019 - USD $ 13.09
- "WOW Claire, such a great cause! All the best!" - David and Ibolya Olds
- Oct 04, 2019 - R 110.00
- "Go get 'em babe! " - Nikki
- Oct 02, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Well done this is really inspirational..." - Sue van der Spek
- Oct 02, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Go for it Claire! Well done" - Jenna Laureau
- Oct 02, 2019 - USD $ 32.63
- "Thanks for your wonderful example! Enjoy the run.." - catherine merven
- Sep 30, 2019 - R 102.82
- "All the best Claire ?? Thanks for being such a great inspiration " - Renita
- Sep 30, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Well done Claire ????" - Libby
- Sep 29, 2019 - R 507.50
- "So proud of you" - Dominique