Running Comrades for Cancer Buddies
- By: Glenn Matthews
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/comrades-for-cancer-buddies
As some of you may know, 2018 was a tough time for our family. After a long and painful battle my mum succumbed to cancer, and soon after it was the 5th anniversary of my father's death, who also passed away to cancer.
While sitting with my mother in hospital in her final days, I was inspired by her strength and decided to enter the 2019 Comrades Marathon. Comrades is the worlds largest and oldest ultra marathon race, and is run between Durban and Pietermaritzburg in South Africa. This year is an "up" run of about 87km starting in Durban, on 9th June.
To prepare for my long day on the road, there will be a lot of early mornings and I'll need to knock out more than 1200km in training between January and June. During this time too, I will also be running the Two Oceans Marathon (56km) in Cape Town.
In memory of my parents, I would like to use my efforts to raise awareness and funds for a great cause that supports cancer patients and their families.
Cancer Buddies is a non-profit organization which offers support, information and guidance to those affected by cancer. With this platform Cancer Buddies pair individuals newly diagnosed with cancer, with survivors who have overcome this dreaded disease.
Cancer Buddies offers a free and easily accessible peer-to-peer Buddy Support System, where cancer patients can receive practical advice, information, guidance and support directly from cancer survivors.
My goal is to raise at least R12,000 (about $1,200 Aussie Dollars) for Cancer Buddies and their fantastic cause.
- Jun 10, 2019 - R 481.87
- "Good Luck Cuz Run like the wind " - Celisa Cooper
- Jun 09, 2019 - USD $ 33.42
- "Well done Glenn, hope you survived!" - Rob Forth
- Jun 09, 2019 - USD $ 34.99
- "I hope it went well Glenn. " - Craig McQueen
- Jun 08, 2019 - USD $ 73.63
- "Do your Best Mate we will all be proud no matter what ,especially Mum and Dad would have been." - Phill and Teresa
- Jun 05, 2019 - R 203.00
- "Best of luck Glenn!" - Sandra & Philippe
- Jun 04, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Smash it Glenno!" - Peter and Ems
- Jun 04, 2019 - USD $ 36.38
- "Great work Jr!" - Glenn Mathews
- Jun 04, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Good luck Glenno, thinking about you and know your folks will be at your side xx" - The Hunters
- Jun 04, 2019 - R 257.05
- "Inspired by your dedication and positive attitude. Good luck next weekend, mate!" - Nick
- Jun 03, 2019 - USD $ 36.06
- "Good luck Glenno!!!" - Chris
- Jun 03, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "All the best Glenn,may the wind [email protected] back,the hills feel flatter than they appear,the Almighty keep U safe until U cross the finish line,then U can fall over! Be strong!!" - Saied
- Jun 03, 2019 - USD $ 72.11
- "Fcuk Cancer!!" - Winterton Family
- Jun 03, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Enjoy the Comrades experience Glenn...see you at the finish line" - Craig
- Jun 03, 2019 - USD $ 17.14
- "Wow! And good luck xx" - Kelly and Steve
- Apr 21, 2019 - USD $ 37.42
- "Nice work Glenn; you're earning it!" - Peter S
- Apr 20, 2019 - USD $ 52.60
- "Well done, Glenn. " - Andy Wickless
- Jan 25, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Good on you mate! " - Phil Cramer
- Jan 24, 2019 - USD $ 38.08
- "Well done Glenn, you're keeping it in the family as Lindsay did the down run many years ago. Looking forward to hearing updates." - Roslyn and Bob Quin
- Jan 24, 2019 - USD $ 30.47
- "Goodluck Glenn you are such an incredible son to your parents, you made them proud while they were here and you still are while they watch over you. You are one in a million Glenn x" - Nic Groth & Boys
- Jan 23, 2019 - R 507.50
- "Let the wind be at your back! All the best for this GREAT challenge!" - Stanford
- Jan 23, 2019 - R 500.00
- "Hey Glenn , wonderful cause. Your parents must be super proud of you . I will like to pledge R500 now and March that when you cross the line on Pietermaritzburg . I look forward to joining you and the" - Mike Rossi
- Jan 23, 2019 - USD $ 74.89
- "OMG! You're crazy but we love your determination and we are very proud of you." - Tash Barnes
- Jan 22, 2019 - USD $ 38.04
- "You're a madman running that far, but a madman for a wonderful cause. Enjoy....or whatever it is that you runners do it for." - Rob Forth
- Jan 22, 2019 - USD $ 84.16
- "Glenn your Mum and Dad would be so proud of you and this mammoth run you are going in along with raising funds for a great cause. Love you Cous ??" - Adele and Tim Heal
Cancer Buddies is an organisation which offers support, information and guidance to those affected by cancer. It matches those newly diagnosed with cancer, to survivors who are trained to assist patients and their carers to deal with and heal through their cancer journey.
It offers this free peer to peer buddy support network where cancer patients can interact with, receive practical advice, information, guidance and support from cancer survivors who have walked a path through their own cancer journey.
We are looking for Cancer Buddy Champions who have been touched by cancer in some way to raise funds for their favorite Cancer Buddies Projects or to enable the Cancer Buddies team to deliver more support for South Africans affected and suffering from the raw reality of a cancer diagnosis.
To set up your own fundraising page for Cancer Buddies click here