Somkhanda Community Game Reserve Rhino Dehorning
- By: PLCnetwork of the Southern Hemisphere
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/dehorning-fundraiser
Somkhanda Community Game Reserve is a 12 000ha conservation area in the heart of Zululand in Northern Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa. The reserve is owned by the Emvokweni Community Trust who represent the Gumbi community and is co-managed by WILDLANDS - a programme of the WILDTRUST.
Poaching, i.e. the illegal killing of wildlife, is a major challenge for many protected areas in South Africa, and thus, Somkhanda Community Game Reserve is deploying a conservation model to protect their rhino populations primarily through dehorning activities coupled with monitoring activities. It has been proven that dehorning rhino has increased their survival by 80% which makes this a crucial anti-poaching strategy for the reserve!
PLCnetwork of the Southern Hemisphere is supporting our network member Somkhanda Community Game Reserve through this crowdfunding project to source funds for their anti-poaching unit and dehorning operations.
Our objective is to raise enough money for the equipment and expertise necessary to dehorn, collar and track several individual rhinos still in 2020!
Covid-19 has had an extremely negative effect on the Ecotourism model of this reserve. In order to assist them to continue to ensure the well-being and security of these majestic animals, this crowdfunding campaign is one way you can make a difference in protecting their rhino populations.
Be part of the Somkhanda rhino protection drive through your donation!
Cost Estimate for one field session:
Helicopter (per hour) R6,150.00 = up to ~R24,600 (4 hrs)
Vet (per hour) R1,250.00 = up to ~R5,000 (4 hrs)
Cruiser = R1140 (1 day)
Labourers (per hour) R27 = up to ~R540 (4 people for 1 day)
Supervisor (per hour) R45.5 = up to ~R728 (2 people for 1 day)
Monitor (per hour) R90 = R720 (1 day)
APU = R985 (1 day)
Rhino Collar (per item) = R4,500.00
Logistics & Catering for the team = ~R5,112.00 (1 day)
Management & Admin (7% of costs) = ~R3,033
Total field session costs = up to ~R46,358
Our total target needed for protecting 1 rhino is R49,600 based on the above expenses. If you donate more, we can dehorn and collar several rhinos during one field session, which is much more efficient!
Watch a breathtaking video of a rhino dehorning at Somkhanda here!
Follow Somkhanda Community Game Reserve on Facebook
Follow PLCnetwork on Facebook
- Aug 18, 2020 - USD $ 57.33
- "Best of luck to this very important project!" - Anki & Johan
- Aug 14, 2020 - USD $ 106.63
- "Greetings from Stuttgart, Germany! " - Uschi, Wolfhard, Liesel und Oskar
- Aug 13, 2020 - R 105.75
- "I love working here, and this is a worthy cause I believe in!" - Sungeni
- Aug 10, 2020 - USD $ 39.94
- "Amazing project. So important. All the best." - Kerstin
- Aug 09, 2020 - USD $ 45.65
- "Great effort, keep going! " - Jonas Baum
- Aug 07, 2020 - USD $ 57.03
- "Its a great project. Good luck." - Baum, Lucia and Martin
- Aug 07, 2020 - USD $ 5.70
- "Great initiative and well realized. Thanks PLCnetwork!" - Oliver
- Aug 07, 2020 - USD $ 5.00
- "may this be the start of many many more donations " - Shelley
PLCnetwork of the Southern Hemisphere
PLCnetwork of the Southern Hemisphere is a unique networking platform and consulting firm with a passion for private land conservation across the global South. Through communication and collaboration, we engage in research, conservation project implementation, and community development.
Our aim is to induce long-lasting social change for conservation based on our approach of innovative conservationpreneurship!