Derrick Everest Base Camp for Avela
- By: Derrick Swartz
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/derrick-everest
In the month of May, I will have the privilege of joining an international team of volunteers trekking through the majestic landscapes of Nepal to Mount Everest Base camp.
Apart from being an absolute adventure through the most breathtaking landscapes on our planet, the trip is in aid of an amazing effort by the Avela Foundation to raise funds in support of the treatment of South African children who are burn survivors.
We hope to use the funds to refurbish the burns unit (Ward K2) of Kimberley Public Hospital and to provide psychological support for children scarred by burns, enabling them to reclaim their dignity and humanity.
I will be covering my personal costs, and also personally donate towards this noble cause. I am inspired by the remarkable work being done by Avela, and men and women from all over the world caring for some of the poorest and most vulnerable members of South African society.
This act of international solidarity exemplifies perhaps the best of the human spirit - our ability to have compassion and care for someone we have never met. I believe this is the spirit that Nelson Mandela had so beautiful invoked in his life and works. It also echoes the clarion call made by the late legendary jazz singer Hugh Masekela with this evocative song 'Thuma Mina', (Send Me) to lend a helping hand.
Please lend your helping hand. You can make a huge difference, even with what might seem like a drop in a vast ocean. If we can give life changing treatment to just one child, it can change the world - for her or him. Your generosity will inspire us to climb the highest mountains because we too want to lend a hand.
Please pledge towards my challenge.
Thank you! Derrick.
- Aug 19, 2018 - USD $ 129.39
- "Late but in solidarity with Derrick and Hugh" - Anne Page
- May 14, 2018 - R 10 282.00
- "Wishing you all the best and an amazing experience from the Dean's Office - Faculty EBEIT" - Faculty EBEIT - Ossie Franks
- May 02, 2018 - R 2 807.11
- "Given that I am a boykie from Kimberley, helping out is a privilege and getting to the target" - PHILIP VERMEULEN
- Apr 25, 2018 - R 5 141.00
- "Wishing you a safe and memorable experience from the staff at the AMTC" - AMTC - Karl du Preez
- Apr 25, 2018 - R 5 141.00
- "Good luck Prof Swartz from the eNtsa team at Nelson Mandela University" - eNtsa at Nelson Mandela University
- Apr 23, 2018 - R 3 084.60
- "All the very best Derrick. You will certainly make Port Elizabeth proud !" - Adrian Gardiner
- Apr 17, 2018 - R 2 056.40
- "Good luck Prof" - Cumesh & Adri
- Apr 15, 2018 - R 2 570.50
- "Derek, hope you have a fantastic experience" - Andrew Birrell
- Apr 09, 2018 - R 10 000.00
- "Good luck" - Pillay Family
- Mar 27, 2018 - R 2 056.40
- "Great cause Prof D!" - Gary Paul
- Mar 19, 2018 - R 2 000.00
- "Good luck Derrick, please enjoy the adventure on behalf of your Peru family" - PHILIP VERMEULEN
- Mar 12, 2018 - R 1 542.30
- "Inspirational on many fronts" - Anonymous
- Mar 10, 2018 - R 15 564.00
- "Delighted to support both the individual and the cause!" - Greg Davids
- Mar 09, 2018 - R 5 141.00
- "Wonderful cause Derrick " - Rojie Kisten
- Mar 09, 2018 - USD $ 83.93
- "I am really delighted to give my contribution to such a noble cause. Eugenio" - Eugenio Bin
- Mar 05, 2018 - R 20 564.00
- "Lending a helping hand for a good cause" - Mark Williams
- Mar 04, 2018 - R 20 564.00
- "This is to support the extraordinary human being who is doing great work" - Sibongile M.
- Feb 26, 2018 - R 20 564.00
- "My personal pledge to honour this commitment to lend a helping hand..." - Derrick Swartz
- Feb 24, 2018 - USD $ 105.20
- "Thanks Derrick for coming with on this journey to EBC and for suppprt Avela !!!" - Cami Palomo
Donations to dateR 212 185.67
Fundraising targetR 121 000.00
Funds raised offlineR 79 000.00 Donate
The Avela Foundation is dedicated to providing healthcare and emotional healing to South African children that have survive burn injuries. Some of these children have disfiguring scars and we know that with the right support they will be able to achieve the impossible.
To set up your own fundraising page for Avela Foundation click here