Help Norman Walk
- By: Donovan Peel
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/donovan-peel
Meet Norman, his infectious smile and positive attitude towards life is truly inspiring. Sadly, earlier this year Norman’s leg was amputated.
He stood on a sickle bush thorn that went straight through his safety boot and penetrated the ball of his foot. The following day his foot swelled up dramatically to the point that Norman went to hospital to have his foot inspected. The wound became severely infected. His situation took a turn for the worse, Norman was diagnosed with diabetes.
His injury was not healing due to his medical condition, and the infection was getting worse. On further inspection he was informed that half his foot would need to be amputated to stop further infection. This soon escalated to above the ankle amputation and eventually it was decided by the medical staff to amputate just below the knee to ensure all the infected tissue was removed.
This shattering news turned this positive mans life upside down. Being told you have diabetes, part of your foot needing to be amputated to then being told your leg needs to be amputated to just below the knee – all of this in one day! This life altering incident hasn’t taken his smile. Norman continues to remain positive and smiling.
At his last consultation he was informed that his amputation wound had healed and he will soon be able to be fitted with a prosthetic leg. Norman was excited as this would help him get his life back on track, especially as he lives in a remote rural area with little access to transport.
Norman only has access to the public health system. They have informed him that the limb would only become available in 2023 due to the amount of people on the waiting list. We cannot leave Norman in this state for 3 years. We need to help him.
Receiving a prosthetic leg will allow Norman to become employable and mobile. Living in an outlying rural area makes it difficult to get around with crutches.
To purchase a prosthetic leg as well as any physio therapy required.
Funds raised will be paid directly to the relevant institution.
- Feb 04, 2020 - R 7 100.00
- "We trust this will assist you with once again walking. Good luck Norman" - Lissataba Share Block
- Feb 01, 2020 - R 1 017.50
- "All the best." - Fleischman
- Jan 29, 2020 - R 2 000.00
- "All the best Norman" - Johan and Amanda Van der Hoven
- Jan 29, 2020 - R 1 000.00
- "Hope you are up and running soon" - Jayne and Geoff
- Jan 24, 2020 - R 2 000.00
Hope to see you on both legs soon. God bless Norman!" - André & Elsa Site 26
- Jan 24, 2020 - R 2 056.40
- "Wishing you all the best Norman" - Kosta Zotos
- Jan 23, 2020 - R 500.00
I wish you well Norman" - Eugene Kruger
- Jan 21, 2020 - R 1 010.00
Norman thank you for all of your help over the years" - Jack & Margaret Site 33
- Jan 15, 2020 - R 2 000.00
- "Hope this will help making it easier for you" - August Fleischman
- Jan 14, 2020 - R 2 056.40
- "Hang in there Norman " - Gary and Sonja
- Jan 13, 2020 - R 5 000.00
- "Hey Norman, here's hoping once you get your prosthetic, we will soon see you back at Lissataba. We miss you!" - Carolyn Dempster
- Jan 12, 2020 - R 1 028.20
- "Hope to see you back at Lissataba soon." - Stuart and Margaret Hain
- Jan 10, 2020 - USD $ 140.78
- "All the best, Norman. Thank you for all you've done at Lissataba over the years. We look forward to seeing you soon." - Nick & Alison
- Jan 09, 2020 - R 508.75
- "All the best Norms, hopefully you will be walking soon." - Don and Joe
- Jan 09, 2020 - USD $ 175.69
- "Fight on, Norman" - Gimme
- Jan 08, 2020 - R 4 000.00
- "We all wish you a speedy recovery Norman. Thanks for your help at Lissataba." - All members of #36
- Jan 08, 2020 - R 1 000.00
Hope to see u back Norman" - Valk Family
- Jan 01, 2020 - USD $ 35.60
- "Hope to see you back at Lissataba, Tom & Astrid " - Tom & Astrid
- Dec 31, 2019 - R 1 010.00
Hoping all allows you to walk again Norman, and we see your happy face at work" - Ron #28
- Dec 31, 2019 - USD $ 106.63
- "Hamba gashle" - Rudan
- Dec 30, 2019 - R 500.00
Hi Norman, hope to see you back at Lissataba soon !" - Bruce and Pippa Steele-Gray
- Dec 30, 2019 - R 1 510.00
Speedy recovery and thank you for all your help over the years" - McEvoy Family
- Dec 28, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Norman hope to see you back on your feet soon" - Andre and Eveline
- Dec 27, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Hope to see your smiling face back here one day. " - No 23
- Dec 26, 2019 - USD $ 35.23
- "For your prosthetic leg" - Perer&Nicoline #33
- Dec 25, 2019 - USD $ 332.00
- "Norman we’ve been thinking of you so much and hopefully with a new leg you will be back at Lissataba." - Bridget Mcintosh
- Dec 24, 2019 - R 1 000.00
- "Norman, thanks for all you did at Lissataba, hope to see you back soon! " - Adam & Cath Gunn
- Dec 24, 2019 - USD $ 35.14
- "I hope you'll be walking soon " - Derek
Donovan Peel Medical Support Cause
Meet Norman, his infectious smile and positive attitude towards life is truly inspiring. Sadly, earlier this year Norman’s leg was amputated. At his last consultation, he was informed that his amputation wound had healed and he will soon be able to be fitted with a prosthetic leg. Norman only has access to the public health system. They have informed him that the limb would only become available in 2023 due to the amount of people on the waiting list. We cannot leave Norman in this state for 3 years. We need to help him.