Elijah's Karate Journey
- By: Elijah-Robert Wessels
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/elijah-robert
My name is Elijah-Robert Wessels (19) and I live in Cape Town, South Africa.
I am fundraising for financial support, to help me get to Germany, where I will be representing South Africa in a Tri-Nations karate training camp and tournament. Furthermore, funds raised will support me in 2020 when I hope to represent South Africa again at the 2020 Shotocup (world champs).
I’ve been selected to represent my country for the second time after qualifying and representing my country for the first time and winning double bronze medals for South Africa during the Africa Cup last year in 2018. It is a huge honour for me to be chosen to represent my Nation and to proudly wear my South African colours as a member of the National Team for JKA Karate. Unfortunately we do not receive any financial assistance in our country for this sport discipline and have to raise our own funds for things like this forthcoming tournament, namely the JKA Tri-Nations Gasshuku 2019 (training tournament) between South Africa, Germany and Australia in Tamm, Germany and the JKA Funakoshi Gichin Cup 15th Karate World Championship Tournament 2020 in Tokyo, Japan. I’m trying to raise funds to put towards my costs for this trip as well as World Champs next year and feel that creating a Crowdfunding Campaign like this will really help.
My family and I can not reach all the financial demands of my sport, which could hinder my opportunities in the near future.
All funds raised will go towards my plane tickets, accommodation and transport, travel insurance, food and entry fees for the training camp and tournament.
Costs for Germany:
The initial cost of R30 000 includes the following:
- Accommodation in Germany
- Meals at the hotel (breakfast)
- Flights (to Stuttgart and back to South Africa on Turkish Airlines)
- Transport (local coach each day, to and from training tournament)
- Visa (Schengen German visa)
- Assistants (local assistant on arrival)
- Insurance (TIC Travel comprehensive insurance)
- JKA administration fee
The additional cost of R17 070,45 includes:
- Passport (R600.00)
- VISA photos (R60.00)
- Flights from Cape Town to Johannesburg and back again (R2946.72)
- Per Diem (Money for meals (lunch and supper), snacks and refreshments for every day in Germany (average of 100 EUR per day) (100 EUR = R1552.43) which would come to R15 524,30 however only R10 000 is needed.
- National Kit (National Top, National hoodie, 2x National T-Shirts, BackPack, Cap and karate suit badges) (R1730.00)
- New Gi (karate suit) (R1733,73)
With the funds raised, I will be able to represent my country at an international event as well as travel abroad for the first time.
- Aug 05, 2019 - R 1 010.00
- "All the best Elijah... We love you lots xxx " - Carey, Matthew and Arabella
- Aug 02, 2019 - R 577.00
- "We love you Champ!!! Love from Mom, Dad, Ruthi & Jesse." - Wessels Clan Cape Town
- Jul 31, 2019 - USD $ 14.82
- "Good luck Elijah." - Renee
- Jul 29, 2019 - USD $ 14.72
- "All the best, Elijah! " - Dee Berry
- Jul 29, 2019 - R 1 015.00
- "." - Macs Toich
- Jul 29, 2019 - USD $ 36.79
- "Good Luck" - Jax & Dave
- Jul 27, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "Elijah, I've loved watching your journey ... go for it!" - Louise
- Jul 26, 2019 - R 514.10
- "All the best. Make your family and country proud!!! " - Stat Bureau
- Jul 26, 2019 - R 514.10
- "A little help for a big champion!" - Lynda
- Jul 25, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Goodluck!" - Sally
- Jul 25, 2019 - USD $ 117.58
- "Fantastic Elijah - alle the best in Germany" - Karen ten Bookum (van der Hulst)
- Jul 24, 2019 - USD $ 31.56
- "Discipline and commitment, you rock Elijah.... wish you all success!" - Anon
- Jul 24, 2019 - USD $ 227.18
- "Good luck Elijah!" - Tom Floyd
- Jul 24, 2019 - USD $ 105.20
- "Good luck Elijah" - Anon
- Jul 24, 2019 - USD $ 14.97
- "God bless! Go SA!!" - Diya