Elize runs the Comrades Marathon for Ukhanyo School Sport
- By: Elize Taylor
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/elize-comrades-ukhanyo
This year I will be running the Comrades Marathon. The Comrades Marathon is an ultramarathon of approximately 89 km (approx. 56 miles) which is run annually in the KwaZulu-Natal Province of South Africa between the cities of Durban and Pietermaritzburg. It is the world's largest and oldest ultramarathon race.
I have decided to use my race to raise funds for local educational NGO Masicorp, and specifically for their project to upgrade Ukhanyo Primary School’s sportsfield.
Masicorp has an excellent relationship with Ukhanyo Primary School, which takes all 1,600 of the township’s children aged 6 to 14. With Masicorp’s assistance the school has developed teaching facilities that are a benchmark for township schools, but their sports facilities remain limited.
Masicorp have been successful in providing sports equipment and kits for the soccer, netball and cricket teams. However, the school sports field is in a terrible condition, and in places it is an uneven sandpit filled with rubble and broken glass. Masicorp have drawn up plans for a complete renovation. The first stage is to level the field, remove the rubble and prepare it for the construction of a multi-purpose sports field that can be used for netball, soccer and cricket.
Please could you support me in raising funds to make this project a reality. I am financing all of my expenses for travelling and participating in the event, so all of your donation will be used directly to prepare the school sports field.
- Jun 14, 2018 - R 514.10
- "Well done Comrade" - Comrade Alan
- Jun 10, 2018 - R 500.00
- "You trained so hard for this - good luck" - Sue Parker-Smith
- May 30, 2018 - R 205.64
- "Elize you are amazing :)" - Matthew
- May 03, 2018 - R 514.10
- "Keep on keeping on " - Santino
- May 02, 2018 - USD $ 40.77
- "A great cause.Good luck." - Chris Littmoden
- Apr 28, 2018 - R 102.82
- "With every srep you'll take on this run, you'll be contributing to uplifting our nation - God bless you! - and all involved in this project. " - Linda
- Apr 26, 2018 - R 500.00
- "You are a brave soul, Elize and the sportsfield project is something you are passionate about - may the wind be at your back on the day!" - Carol Hanks
- Apr 20, 2018 - R 100.00
- "For having very special memories of Ukhanyo Primary School" - Maureen and Cecil
- Apr 19, 2018 - USD $ 17.61
- "Nice Elize! Run Elize, run!" - Anna Nimmo
Masicorp works for the people of the Masiphumelele township, which is home to a community of more than 38,000 people disadvantaged by the historical legacy of apartheid and poverty. Our approach has been to ask the community where and how they need support and, from this, we know the residents want a hand up not a handout.