Elize's Challenge for MasiCorp
- By: Elize Taylor
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/elizes-challenge-for-masicorp
After completing a number of long distance running events in recent years, including the Comrades Marathon on a number of occasions, this year I will be tackling trail running. Although still very much a novice I have been in training for several months and aim to complete three major events this year. The first of these is AfricanX, which is held annually in the mountains around Elgin and has become one of South Africa’s iconic trail running events.
I have decided to use my race to raise funds for local educational NGO Masicorp, and specifically for their project to upgrade Ukhanyo Primary School’s sportsfield. Masicorp has an excellent relationship with Ukhanyo Primary School, which takes all 1,600 of the township’s children aged 6 to 14. With Masicorp’s assistance the school has developed teaching facilities that are a benchmark for township schools, but their sports facilities remain limited. Masicorp have been successful in providing sports equipment and kits for the soccer, netball and cricket teams. However, the school sports field is in a terrible condition, and in places it is an uneven sandpit filled with rubble and broken glass. Masicorp have drawn up plans for a complete renovation. The first stage is to level the field, remove the rubble and prepare it for the construction of a multi-purpose sports field that can be used for netball, soccer and cricket.
Please could you support me in raising funds to make this project a reality. I am financing all of my expenses for travelling and participating in the event, so all of your donation will be used directly to prepare the school sports field.
Elize has now completed the first of the three trail runs - the AfricanX I the Overberg. The race was across 92 miles of mountainous terrain, reaching an altitude of 1100m. It sounds daunting but Elize completed it all with a time of 16 hours, 29 minutes and 12 seconds over the three days.
Next up (June 13th) is the Transfrontier Richtersveld trail run, which sounds even more daunting at 200km over 5 days. This race extends from South Africa to Namibia through the ancient arid landscape of the Ai Ais-Richtersveld Transfrontier Park.
- Apr 30, 2018 - R 500.00
- "Great cause and have a great run" - John Le Roux
- Sep 07, 2016 - USD $ 11.00
- "Thank you for being my friend. I wish you well in your endeavour. So proud of your commitment to the children of Masi." - LKJ
- Jun 12, 2016 - USD $ 32.83
- "So proud on you doing this" - Germa Zeijen
- Jun 11, 2016 - USD $ 74.74
- "Thank you for all you do for these kids! Good luck and have fun!" - The Hinsz Family
- May 18, 2016 - R 300.00
- "Good luck Elise, enjoy, what energy!" - Barbara Bullock
- May 03, 2016 - R 500.00
- "All the best with the runs " - Susan de Vaux
- Apr 29, 2016 - USD $ 5.05
- "Keep going." - Noel Rivera
- Apr 29, 2016 - USD $ 70.11
- "You're amazing! Good luck!" - Michéle & Craig
- Apr 28, 2016 - USD $ 34.74
- "Marvelous ELIZE!!!" - Anna
- Apr 28, 2016 - R 1 000.00
- "Go go Elize - you are amazing!" - Andrew
- Mar 18, 2016 - USD $ 32.94
- "Sorry I couldn't go with you" - Alan McKelvey
- Mar 11, 2016 - USD $ 65.35
- "Good running!" - Jane & Eric Philippi
- Mar 03, 2016 - R 500.00
- "Go for it Elize" - Stephen Viljoen
- Feb 25, 2016 - R 300.00
- "have fun as you run :)" - Jenny Tanesse
- Feb 17, 2016 - R 250.00
- "Good luck" - Charmaine and Simon Nicks
- Feb 10, 2016 - R 250.00
- "Bon Courage Elize - Go for it!" - Carol Hanks
- Feb 09, 2016 - R 2 300.00
- "Good Luck!" - Sue & Graham
- Feb 09, 2016 - R 1 000.00
- "Go Elize! Thanks for doing this for Masi!" - John & Carol Thompson
- Feb 09, 2016 - R 250.00
- "Good Luck Elize" - Paul Giess
Masicorp works for the people of the Masiphumelele township, which is home to a community of more than 38,000 people disadvantaged by the historical legacy of apartheid and poverty. Our approach has been to ask the community where and how they need support and, from this, we know the residents want a hand up not a handout.