Ending Period Poverty
- By: New heritage foundation
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/end-period-poverty2021
New heritage foundation, a registered organization based in South Africa, launches the million dignity pack campaign to end period poverty for girls and women in disadvantaged communities, as millions of women and girls menstruate without dignity globally.
3 in 10 girls misses out on school due to a lack of sanitary pads, which is an appalling reality one we can never be ok with. The girl child faces abuse, shame, stigma and social taboo because she menstruates and labels her period as a burden.
Their reproductive health is often negatively affected long term due to using unhygienic methods such as toilet paper or newspaper wrapped around tree leaves. In some cases, girls also perform sexual favours for financial gain to provide themselves with sanitary pads.
This can lead to sexually transmitted diseases and or teenage pregnancies. Menstruation is not a choice and often comes with many physical challenges. These challenges become even more unbearable without sanitary pads.
Period poverty won't end without education and empowerment, and we aim to do just that through our dignity pack that is entirely environmentally friendly. Unemployed matriculants will pack every pack, and single unemployed moms cut the cloth for training to make a greater impact.
A dignity pack will help a girl child menstruate beyond her schooling years with dignity without compromising her reproductive health. She will be empowered and educated to make her own reusable sanitary pads, including a full understanding of her body changes, health and rights.
What will it cost you?
R316/ $20.88 per dignity pack.
What does a dignity pack consist of?
- 2x light flow or heavy flow disposable pads.
- 3x reusable pads.
- Needles & wool.
- Menstrual hygiene health book on body changes and rights for the girl child.
- Extra cloth to make two extra reusable sanitary pads.
- Complete guide to making reusable sanitary pads on her own to continue to empower her community.
There is more to menstruation, and to end period poverty is collective and must be led by willing leadership, committed institutions, accountable providers of good quality sanitary pads, and an overall society that’s ready to unlearn menstrual stigma.
Menstruation is a health issue, and quality sanitary pads are a right that cannot be negotiated.Developing and educating this generation will result in a generation of potent young individuals becoming future leaders.
It will take all of us to end period poverty, and the chain of change can either stop with you or grow with you, so be sure to share our campaign with others as passionate to end period poverty for all women and girls.
Follow us on:
- Feb 11, 2022 - USD $ 98.91
- "Thank you for the impact you have on these young women’s lives" - Danell Wilson-Perlman
- Nov 29, 2021 - R 316.00
- "You choose your own path." - Lily G
- Oct 18, 2021 - R 100.00
- "If everyone helps a neighbor then who would need help" - Kashiefa
- May 12, 2021 - R 100.00
Caring together" - Terran Gericke - Hospice White River
- Jan 30, 2021 - R 1 200.00
- "Seed, multiply!" - Correia family
- Jan 06, 2021 - R 200.00
Good job guys.. Keep it up" - Mathilda Opperman
- Jan 04, 2021 - R 300.00
- "This is a small faith seed. May it close any gaps" - Lerato Mahlo
- Jan 04, 2021 - R 100.00
- "To all the young girls out there. Stay safe and strong. Be positive. Together we can. " - Anonymous
New Heritage Foundation
New heritage foundation is a Western Cape based Non profit organisation that focuses on Early Childhood development and ending period poverty providing sanitary pads for girls in underserved communities and education around menstruation for both girls and boys to have better understanding around the topic. We are committed to drive sustainable action and change in these forgotten communities throughout Cape Town. Together with partnership and donors of those that share our vision we believe that the change we want to see is possible.