Epic Ride for CHOC
- By: Ross Moody, Joseph Fizelle
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/epic-ride-for-choc
Thank you for making it to the page, your support is appreciated, every cent counts.
Almost 800km’s and 16,000 meters of ascent (that’s the equivalent of climbing Mt Everest twice!) over 8 days! It’s all part of a little Mountain Bike (MTB) ride called the ABSA Cape Epic, and if you believe those in the know, its rated as one of the toughest MTB races in the world – some have gone so far to call it the Tour de France of MTB! And on Sunday the 25th of March, at just past 10:00am, I will set off on this Epic Adventure with my mate Joe. The aim to get to the end in one piece, enjoy some absolutely magnificent scenery, still be mates at the end BUT, also to try and do some good along the way.
This adventure goes beyond a bike ride to two incredible and very courageous young girls, one of whom, sadly, I will never get the opportunity to meet. Jessica passed away in 2008 after battling cancer for 10 months. She was 20 months old ( www.thecows.co.za/jessica.aspx ). Her dad Grant is someone I have met through cycling and am proud to call a mate. Together with his wife Kerrin they founded the CHOC Cows (those crazy nutters who ride in cow suits and on ice-cream bikes at major cycling event to raise funds for CHOC – The Children’s Haematology and Oncology Clinics). The CHOC Cows have raised over R9.5 million since their inception! Jessica’s spirit will definitely be at the 2012 Epic as Grant and Simon ride as team ‘Jessica’s Dream’. Amy is a young girl who was recently diagnosed with Leukemia and the bravery and character she has shown to a treatment that at best is intrusive and uncomfortable, is humbling. At present she is in remission, which is great news, but there is still a long road to travel in terms of ongoing treatment. I was at varsity with her mum Sarah-Anne (without whose help I would have undoubtedly failed!
Knowing Grant and Sarah-Anne and reading their stories and being a parent myself has made this all the more personal for me. I want to make sure that apart from any personal challenge that awaits me at the end of the month, that I also do something to honour these incredible young ladies and their families, and I am supporting CHOC (www.choc.org.za).
Between 75-85% of cancer can be treated successfully if identified early enough and it goes without saying that in a country like South Africa, awareness and education around Cancer, like many other illnesses, is not what it should be.
Thanks in advance
- Apr 30, 2012 - R 1 000.00
- "Well done!" - Ike and Shirley
- Apr 30, 2012 - R 2 000.00
- "From my three girls, it was a long ride with them with me every pedal stroke!" - My three girls
- Mar 30, 2012 - R 500.00
- "All the Best Ross!" - Nelis Swart
- Mar 28, 2012 - R 500.00
- "Good luck, boetris!" - B&C dB
- Mar 27, 2012 - R 500.00
- "Go Rosco, Go!!" - De Vries family
- Mar 26, 2012 - R 200.00
- "Hoping 'the wind is always at your back' during the race. All the best, Angus, Jill & boys" - Jill Lindsay
- Mar 25, 2012 - R 500.00
- "Go Well on your Epic ups and downs! Keep it together! XXX Helen" - Helen
- Mar 23, 2012 - R 1 000.00
- "Good Luck, Ross. Ride safely… we’ll be checking up on you!" - Niki and Jonny
- Mar 20, 2012 - R 1 000.00
- "Good luck chap, look forward to sharing a beer or seven in Plett, and hearing all the details" - Robert
- Mar 20, 2012 - R 1 000.00
- "Guys it has been awesome training with you, you are both worthy wearers of the "suit", have a safe ride. Looking forward to that beer at the end!" - Another Cow
- Mar 15, 2012 - R 200.00
- "So pleased to see Jessica's Dream live on - the sadest funeral we attended and hats off to the great work for Choc Grant and Kerin have kicked off since then. Good luck to you and Jo. Cheers B and B " - Belinda Godfrey
- Mar 15, 2012 - R 500.00
- "Good luck Roscoe and enjoy the ride (and scenery if you can) Melis & Andre" - Melis Joubert
- Mar 14, 2012 - R 500.00
- "Good luck for the ride" - Bruce
- Mar 08, 2012 - R 1 000.00
- "Go Buddy, a great cause and enjoy the ride." - Clan M
- Mar 08, 2012 - R 200.00
- "Go Ross Go!!! You ride for all our little loved ones that have left us too soon! X" - Val & Byron
- Mar 07, 2012 - R 1 000.00
- "Have fun buddy. Don't forget to look around and enjoy the view. " - Rolf
- Mar 07, 2012 - R 1 000.00
- "Go Rosscoe! Looking forward to hearing the stories and seeing the photos. Great cause!" - Martin Dove
- Mar 06, 2012 - R 250.00
- "Good Luck Ross !! Ride Safe :)" - The McLeary's
- Mar 06, 2012 - R 500.00
- "You go you good thing, good luck and Congrats on your Charity Drive" - Frewbie
- Mar 06, 2012 - R 200.00
- "Go Rossco you good thing !" - Ian Roy
CHOC Childhood Cancer Foundation
CHOC Childhood Cancer Foundation SA is the only organisation in South Africa that provides comprehensive countrywide support for children with cancer and other life-threatening blood disorders, and their families. CHOC has a head office in Johannesburg, six regional offices, two branches, and 12 accommodation facilities close to treatment centres. CHOC relies heavily on corporate sponsors, donations from groups or individuals wanting to make a difference in the lives of these little ones.
Their comprehensive support improves the welfare and quality of care of children with cancer and offers families a wide range of psychosocial services and practical support such as counselling, free accommodation, free transport and transport fund to ensure that no child abandons treatment due to the family not affording transport costs, food parcels as they recognise the financial difficulties families often face and parent to parent support groups. CHOC also plays a leading advocacy role and promotes early detection to save lives nationally.