Exotic Animal World - Help Us To Help Them
- By: James Lawrence
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/exotic-animal-world
For 25 years Exotic Animal World (Previously Butterfly World) has been an important part of the wider Cape Town Metropolitan and Winelands communities.
We rescue, rehabilitate, and give a home to abandoned exotic pets and occasionally to indigenous wildlife species that have been brought in.
We educate thousands of learners, teaching them the magic of nature and respect for all creatures.
We are the destination for countless magical family outings.
However, like most companies, we were hit hard by the Covid-19 Lockdown restrictions. Almost overnight our entire income was cut off.No visitors, no cafe goers, and no shoppers.
What did we have left:
700 hungry mouths and the small army of staff required to care for them!
As the Covid-19 crisis continued we also saw an increase in the number of donated animals, due to pet owners not being able to afford their care. As many of these animals, unfortunately, came to us in poor condition, we are also feeling the strain of high vet bills for our account.
Further challenges then came in the form of multiple break-ins, and subsequent loss of equipment, as well as severe weather damage including a flooded office, the partial collapse of our bridge at the entrance, and damage to our roof.
We worked hard to be Covid-19 compliant and have welcomed visitors back as soon as possible, so things are looking up. However, over the last 18 months, we relied heavily on the business’ savings and we are still working with the deficit of the last 500 days of bumpy sailing.
We need help to get our sanctuary through the next few months. Please take part in our appeal so we can continue saving animals and educating people about our natural world.
How can you help:
- Visit us.
- Donate animal food or pet supplies.
- Donate tools and other maintenance items you no longer need.
- Financial Support.
- Share this appeal.
- Nov 14, 2021 - USD $ 65.30
- "Thanks for your work! " - Katerina
- Aug 10, 2021 - R 100.00
- "Fond memories, best wishes going forward! #DARIA" - AndreasK
- Aug 06, 2021 - R 200.00
Amazing organization, wishing you all the best." - Sarah
- Aug 04, 2021 - R 200.00
- "Want to see you survive this rough time! Thanks for all the good work! " - Paula
- Aug 03, 2021 - R 1 000.00
- "This was a very interesting place we visited in May. Keep up the good work. #DAria" - Wandie Badenhorst
- Aug 02, 2021 - R 200.00
- "Good cause - Great place to visit" - Johann Eybers
- Aug 02, 2021 - R 100.00
- "We fight the good fight together." - K
- Jul 30, 2021 - R 1 000.00
- "Keep up the good work!" - Anonymous
- Jul 23, 2021 - R 100.00
Every bit helps. sorry its not more." - Lene
Butterfly World Animal Sanctuary
Butterfly World Animal Sanctuary takes in exotic animals previously kept as pets. These are donated by owners or brought to us by the authorities. We receive dozens of animals, birds, fish and all sorts of creepy crawlies every month and therefore have to continue chopping and changing the facility to accommodate this great variety of creatures.