#eyeBritney Save Britney's vision
- By: Amelia Brown
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/eyebritney-campaign
Please support Britney Brown, a 27 year old law student who has been diagnosed with Eales disease, a rare idiopathic (arises spontaneously or for which the cause is unknown) eye disease.
Britney underwent extensive tests to determine the cause of bleeding in both of her eyes and a retinal detachment in her left eye. Both her eyes are currently still bleeding. Her left eye is one month ahead of right eye in terms of bleeding & damage.
Britney had two emergency surgeries within a week of identifying her disorder (in February 2018), one of which was a retinal reattachment and cataract lens replacement. More procedures are scheduled for the near future, all of which is to assist in preventing complete vision loss.
Britney has already lost some peripheral vision (to the extent that she's no longer driving) due to experimental laser surgery on part of the retina to reduce her eyes' blood requirement/demand, thereby hoping to stop the additional blood vessels that are forming/growing into her eyes creating damage. Britney also needs to have injections in both eyes monthly to stop the bleeding in her eyes. Her medication includes large doses of steroids & immunosuppressants. She also needs to get special glasses to assist with her loss of vision that also has major UV and light protection. Her eyes are extremely sensitive to light. She does everything with sunglasses on from the moment she wakes up.
Britney suffers awful side effects from the medication. The steroids are causing increased pressure in her eye for which she has to use eye drops to counter it and in turn this causes dryness in her eyes for which she uses artificial tears to lubricate her eyes throughout the day. She easily falls ill because of the immunosuppressant meds.
This has been much for Britney to process in a short period of time. She realises her life is never going to be the same again and the plan and goals she had set for herself will need to be readjusted. In spite of this, Britney has been positive, strong and brave during this time.
Britney would love to reach out to others with Eales disease to learn from and support each other and intends documenting her journey on her blog.
Britney’s family and friends have been doing what they can to support her but she needs further assistance with the escalating costs of continued tests, procedures and specialists. She is not on a medical aid and is uncertain whether she’ll have a job from July 2018, once her fixed term contract is complete.
Your kind assistance will be invaluable in giving Britney the best chance to retain her vision and ability to work and follow her dreams in a career that requires much reading and writing.
- Jun 30, 2018 - R 100.00
- "Good luck" - Anonymous
- May 02, 2018 - R 2 000.00
- "We continuously pray for your complete recovery and healing In sha'Allah" - Yasmin Desai-Chilwan
- Apr 25, 2018 - R 1 010.00
- "The world is full of possibilities for you, and may all your wishes and dreams come true Inshallah" - Brian Oaten
- Apr 16, 2018 - USD $ 21.04
- "Good luck everyone x" - Candice
- Mar 15, 2018 - R 102.82
- "Get well Britney" - Anonymous
- Mar 14, 2018 - R 102.82
- "Good luck Britney" - Anonymous
- Feb 26, 2018 - USD $ 90.99
- "May God accept our prayers for Britney's full recovery. Inshallah" - Ferose Oaten
- Feb 23, 2018 - USD $ 27.76
- "Keeping you in my prayers." - Keenan Carelse
- Feb 23, 2018 - R 100.00
- "Keeping you in thought and prayer Britney. Have faith sweety. " - Suzaan Carelse