Free Tyron Lee
- By: Chantal Coetzee
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/free-tyron-lee
Potential victim of human trafficking, South African, Tyron Lee Coetzee, is believed to have been coerced and used as a decoy by a drug smuggling syndicate operating between South Africa, Brazil and East Asia.
After he was arrested in Vietnam in June 2016, authorities said that this was a targeted arrest, meaning that he was most likely set up specifically to be used as an unwitting distraction, to draw attention away from other activity of the syndicate.
Please see the Gateway News article written by Fiona Lisandra, for a better understanding of methods used by human traffickers working with drug traffickers. We trust that this will serve as a warning to others, not to be deceived, as well as to create understanding and compassion for Tyron and the hundreds of others who have been tricked and arrested in a similar manner.
Since his arrest in June 2016, to date in May 2019 – in 3 years – Tyron has not been permitted to write or make any phone calls to his family or anyone outside of the prison in Vietnam, nor has anyone been permitted access to see him. This has made it very difficult to support him emotionally or practically or to ensure that his human rights were upheld throughout the legal processes – for his one-day trial in May 2017, his sentencing in August 2018 and his appeal in April 2019 – all of which have not been favourable or fair in accordance with International Human Rights Law.
He was sentenced to death without having had a fair trial in his own language and without proper legal defence and has recently lost his appeal after representing himself, since there was no lawyer appointed for this process, despite his family being told that one would be.
Since his loss of appeal, Tyron’s family has found an international legal firm who have agreed to contend for the case to be reopened, for his human rights to be upheld, and for his sentence to be commuted and therefore call on your generosity to contribute any amount towards legal costs adding up to around R195000.
Our deepest gratitude to all who have already donated and, in advance, to all will help us to reach our target!
- Dec 10, 2018 - R 3 500.00
- "My prayers are always with you all- May Ty know God"s peace that transcends all understanding. We pray with you all for supernatural deliverance to the glory of of of our loving and gracious saviour. " - Anonymous
- Dec 01, 2018 - USD $ 136.62
- "Hope it goes well" - Philogos
- Nov 01, 2018 - R 300.00
- "Praying for your release" - Anonymous
- Oct 23, 2018 - R 1 434.99
- "Continue to stand in the gap for you and your brother!" - Doug Dworak
- Oct 21, 2018 - R 500.00
- "Justice dear Jesus" - Karen
- Oct 18, 2018 - R 200.00
- ".." - Anonymous
- Oct 14, 2018 - R 500.00
- "Praying for your family" - Elaine Gericke
- Oct 11, 2018 - R 200.00
- "Praying for mercy " - Sherill
- Oct 11, 2018 - R 200.00
- "For Tyrone " - Kerry and Jonty
- Oct 10, 2018 - R 1 000.00
- "Praying for you guys! We love you " - Nikki Still
- Oct 10, 2018 - USD $ 79.18
- "Praying for your brother! Love to you, Chantal" - Greta
- Oct 10, 2018 - R 1 500.00
- "Praying for a supernatural intervention for your brother! Much love Chantal!" - Doug Dworak
- Oct 08, 2018 - R 200.00
- "Praying for Freedom" - Anonymous
- Oct 05, 2018 - R 400.00
- "For Freedom" - Chantal
Donations to dateR 155 392.66
Fundraising targetR 195 000.00
Funds raised offlineR 142 570.00 Donate
Tyron Lee's Legal Cause
Tyron Lee Coetzee, believed to be a victim of human trafficking, was unjustly sentenced to death in Vietnam. Since losing his appeal recently, Tyron's family has found an international legal firm to contend for the case to be reopened, for his human rights to be upheld, and for his sentence to be commuted. We call on your generosity to contribute any amount towards legal costs in order to save his life.