Gary's Ironman for the Smile Foundation
- By: Gary Serebro
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/garys-ironman-for-the-smile-foundation
This year I am competing in the 70.3 (half Ironman) in East London on the 25th of January and the Ironman in Port Elizabeth on the 29th of March for the Smile foundation.
I would never have imagined loving the toughest moment of my life, until I got married – and completed Ironman. It’s no easy race. A 3.8km swim towards the unknown in chilly, choppy waters. The slow burn of a 180km cycle up and down endless hills. This, topped off with a 42.2km run to add insult to injury. You get 17 hours to complete the race, which would make it a couple hours more than just the worst day of your life.
But I can tell you, there is nothing like that moment you cross the red carpet. After having every last drop of heart and energy you have in you tested to the limit. Every muscle, every tendon screaming at you for mercy, your well of inspiration all but dry. And then, just when you feel you can’t take another step, that those last few metres in whats been a relentless string of kilometres will be the ones that get the better of you, you catch sight of the finish line in front of you. From somewhere you didn’t know existed, you experience a burst of energy you never knew you had – and it gets you through. Whether you crawled the last mile, or freewheeled half the race, you find the strength to burst through that ribbon with everything that you have got.
The Ironman experience cannot be summed up in a few words because you can't truly describe the sheer emotion of every minute of the race, not least finishing it. You have to reach deep, but you can find it. Ironman taught me that the impossible is possible. Proving that for one day, an ordinary person – any ordinary person – can do something extraordinary. We all have the power to be great inside us. We just have to find that thing that it is going to teach us to start digging.
Partner with me through my agony and my elation, as we put smiles on the faces of children in South Africa.
Thanks in advance for whatever you can give—nothing is too big or too small — to support me in this endeavor.
See you on the other side of the finish line.
- Jan 29, 2015 - R 180.00
- "Good luck Ga! " - Hurwitz
- Jan 27, 2015 - R 360.00
- "Go Gazza - very proud" - Dad
- Jan 24, 2015 - R 360.00
- "Will be cheering from the window " - Alec and Rynette
- Jan 24, 2015 - R 180.00
- "Amazing Gazza! Wishing you every success." - Mel
- Jan 23, 2015 - R 360.00
- "a man after my own heart good luck Gazza" - Neil Lewus
- Jan 23, 2015 - R 180.00
- "Go for it Gary! " - Tali & Darryl Frankel
- Jan 23, 2015 - R 200.00
- "Good luck Gary " - Justin Baskin
- Jan 22, 2015 - R 360.00
- "smash it gaza!!!" - nerwich family
- Jan 22, 2015 - R 180.00
- "Good luck from KM" - Anonymous
- Jan 21, 2015 - R 1 000.00
- "WE (ALL 4) WILL THINK OF YOU" - LEN
- Jan 21, 2015 - R 360.00
- "Good luck Gary!" - Yaron and Nadine
- Jan 21, 2015 - R 360.00
- "So proud of you!! Enjoy the day!!" - Anonymous
- Jan 21, 2015 - R 720.00
- "What a champ! Give it horns Gazza- we so proud of you!!" - Phil and Mish
- Jan 21, 2015 - R 180.00
- "Good Luck, Keep up the solid performances and be safe! Kol Tov :) " - Gary Lefèvre
- Jan 19, 2015 - R 1 080.00
- "You are truly legendary. " - zanne
- Jan 16, 2015 - R 5 040.00
- "Your message touched me. Good luck!" - Anonymous
- Jan 15, 2015 - R 500.00
- "Break those chains! Unbelievable heart!!" - Leroy and Tam
- Jan 07, 2015 - R 360.00
- "Proud of you Gary; have a good day" - Kevin & Wendy Black
Smile Foundation is a non-profit organization that brings people together for the purpose of providing expert surgical intervention, creating greater social involvement and enabling sensible corporate social investment – to make a difference in the lives of children with facial anomalies.
We offer holistic care to transform the lives of these children who are threatened with rejection by society.
The Smile Foundation is about meaningfully connecting people to bring about new opportunities, new futures, with the result being – new lives.