- By: Geoffrey Harris
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/geoff-harris
Once again I will be making the long trek from Chicago to Cape Town. This time to join the Cellucity Schleppers in their quest to have the most fun on the Argus.
Needless to say Chicago does not have the best weather for bicycle training this time of year. Even in the best of weather Chicago lacks the hills and breathtaking views. I'll be heading to Cape Town a couple of days early and doing a few training rides (nice excuse for getting out of Chicago in the winter).
For those of you unfamiiar with the Argus (as I was until last year), it is the largest timed bicycle race in the world 35,000 riders taking on a hilly, scenic, 110km road course and best of all....no cars! More info at http://www.cycletour.co.za/ for anyone who is interested
In addition to having a great time and a bit of exercise, the Cellucity Schleppers will be raising money for a local charity CHOCH (for Children with Cancer). The name CHOC is an abbreviation of "Childrens Haematology Oncology Clinics". My personal goal is to raise ZAR 10,000 (about $1250).
Thanks for your support.
- Mar 15, 2012 - R 1 000.00
- "Great race recap.....tried and got to and through website this time. Well done" - Paul and Mary
- Mar 07, 2012 - R 500.00
- "So jealous. Jesse and I wished we were there riding with you. Well, we'll settle for the spin classes at LA Fitness" - Fawn Lope
- Mar 04, 2012 - R 1 125.35
- "Be safe. Glad to help. " - Mark M. Lyman
- Feb 27, 2012 - R 750.00
- "Why don't you drive it - it would be quicker! Best of luck!" - Don Sopko
- Feb 26, 2012 - R 1 000.00
- "Would you consider pulling me in one of those bike trailers?" - Sharon & Alan MIretzky
- Feb 25, 2012 - R 767.45
- "See you when you get back" - Linda and Murphy
- Feb 24, 2012 - R 379.69
- "Have a good time for a good cause." - Ellaine & Herb Harris
- Feb 24, 2012 - R 300.00
- "Are they going to line the whole route with towels?" - Richie
- Feb 24, 2012 - R 1 000.00
- "A step up from bike the drive,enjoy!" - Paul Lustig
- Feb 24, 2012 - R 1 500.00
- "GO GET EM BUDDY" - ALAN and JUDY YALE
- Feb 24, 2012 - R 759.39
- "Good luck!" - Roy Johnston
- Feb 24, 2012 - R 1 898.47
- "Best of luck!" - Mark Wight
- Feb 24, 2012 - R 384.59
- "Ride for the kids" - Gail and Jerry Ellstein
- Feb 24, 2012 - R 1 000.00
- "Good Luck with the hills!" - te brangs
CHOC Childhood Cancer Foundation
CHOC Childhood Cancer Foundation SA is the only organisation in South Africa that provides comprehensive countrywide support for children with cancer and other life-threatening blood disorders, and their families. CHOC has a head office in Johannesburg, six regional offices, two branches, and 12 accommodation facilities close to treatment centres. CHOC relies heavily on corporate sponsors, donations from groups or individuals wanting to make a difference in the lives of these little ones.
Their comprehensive support improves the welfare and quality of care of children with cancer and offers families a wide range of psychosocial services and practical support such as counselling, free accommodation, free transport and transport fund to ensure that no child abandons treatment due to the family not affording transport costs, food parcels as they recognise the financial difficulties families often face and parent to parent support groups. CHOC also plays a leading advocacy role and promotes early detection to save lives nationally.