Continue to let Mbongiseni thrive in Oakhill School in Knysna
- By: Megan de Beer
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/get-mbongiseni-to-oakhill-school-in-knysna
Bongi has a dream to attend & stay in Oakhill School as this is where he is thriving. This is your opportunity to be part of that dream. Watch this video of Bongi & Scott. We need to Raise R350 000 for the remainder of his high school experience. We currently only have R119 478.96 so far. Remember every bit counts. On the 10th of January 2016 we had our Grade 8 meet and greet with Bongi then went on the Grade 8 induction camp. School started on the 13th of January 2016.
CLICK ON THE YELLOW DONATE BUTTON TO DONATE IN 3 SIMPLE & SAFE STEPS!!!
Bongi is an amazing child who is dedicated and deserves to have the best education possible. Bongi has officially applied to and been accepted into Oakhill School and now we need to make it possible financially! Read below about how we came across Bongi and a little bit about him and his dream to attend Oakhill School. But first here is what you will get for sponsoring Bongi!
Here is an amazing letter this talented boy wrote to say thank you for sponsorship for his hockey tour - Read it here.
At the end of his first year at Oakhill, watch the webinar we did with Bongi at the end of his Grade 8 year.
Bongi has done exceptionally well since he was accepted to Oakhill. He has made provincial hockey A-Team which is 1 year ahead of his age group. They act independently from the school. Here is a video of his practicing on the astroturf.
Bongi has the following achievements since he started attending Oakhill in Grade 8:
- First team
- U/18 Eden team
- U/16 captain
- U/16 Eden captain (reaching the finals)
- U/14 B team Eden captain
- Full colors and half colors for hockey
- Allowing new friends into my circle
- Finding the real me through spending a lot of time with people who have excepted me for who I am.
- Being excepted for who I am by everyone who once judged me: at school and on the sports field
- Selling lollies: gave me the opportunity experience popularity but not as if it's a good thing but it got me exposed to some learners who I don't usually speak to and also developed loyalty among regular customers and gain the feeling of being greeted by them every single morning, basically being well-known for something you love and good at.
- Being recognized of inner capability of being successful one day
- Odyssey: being able to push to the limit (mind over matter). Development of mental and physical strength
- Finding a job at Ocean Odyssey: to be seen as an accountable, consistent, loyal hard worker
Bongi has agreed to the following rewards for sponsors:
- Anyone who donates R250 or more will receive a progress email every term that explains how/what he has done
- Anyone who donates more than R1000 will get a weekly WhatsApp highlight message and the term progress reports.
- Anyone who donates R25 000 or more will be able to offer him a two-week internship during school holidays [working for free] (Terms and Conditions apply – such as if the internship is not in Knysna then transport, board and lodging need to be provided) as well as the WhatsApp and Progress report.
What your contribution will be able to cover.
R3000 ($210) will pay for Bongi’s school uniform
R5000 ($350) will pay for Bongi’s textbooks
R4287.50 ($305) - will be for half month's tuiton
R8575 ($610) will pay for one month’s School fees
R10000 ($700) will pay for Bongi’s sports tour
The founders and staff of Wealth Migrate came across Bongi as part of the Lemonade day event that was held in Knysna in July 2015. Lemonade Day is a charity that teaches children the skills of entrepreneurship. Scott Picken brought this idea from America to South Africa and given that he lives in Knysna ran the pilot project during the 2015 Oyster festival. Please Click this link to read the report that was written following the event.
Bongi is one of the children who stood out. He made R1600 profit at Lemonade Day and his parents say it has changed his path; he is now very interested in business. While all the other kids went home he was always the last one there, for the 4 days of the oyster festival and would not leave until he had sold out. He had tenacity, passion, and humility. He will succeed in life we are certain of it.
Here is a video of Bongi at Lemonade Day in Knysna
Due to the fact that Bongi was one of the highest profit earners during the Lemonade Day Oyster Festival event, he was invited to the Wealth Movement 2015 event in Johannesburg on the 8th and 9th of October 2015 where he, together with another winner were able to tell people about their journey on what it was like to run a lemonade stand at the event. Once again Bongi put in major effort in order to ensure that they were successful.
Here is Bongi speaking about Lemonade day at the Wealth Movement 2015 event
Here they appear in the promo video from the event
Some Background in terms of Bongi and his family
Mbongiseni Ndlovu was born on 16 January 2002. He attended Knysna Primary and 2016 went to high school. His dream was to go to Oakhill. His grades are good, his favourite subjects are Maths (70-79%), Science (80-90%) and EMS (70-79%) and he loves sport, specifically hockey. Bongi’s mother is a police woman and his father works for armed response. Bongi has a younger brother that is in Grade 5. Scott has met with Bongi’s parents. His mom is so supportive of Bongi not only during the Lemonade Day process but throughout his school years. Parental support was one of the differentiators of children’s success. In 2017 he plays 1st team U16 Hockey and was elected captain on their hockey tour this year. He is loved by his teachers, team mates and peers.
In this video Bongi introduces his family
Education and the support of one’s family are two major keys to success in life. This is your opportunity to be a part of the solution that we need in this country. In order for Bongi to be able to continue at Oakhill and to be able to take part in sport and extramural activities, we need to raise approximately R350 000 (~USD 25 000) for 2020. This is the full cost of tuition, school uniform, books, etc. We have tried applying for a bursary for 2020 but they are no more funding from investors for Bongi. Bongi’s parents also understand that providing an education is important for their son and they will contribute what they would have for the government school he would have gone to.
We understand that high school is 5 years and that Bongi’s family do not have the resources to be able to ensure that he is able to stay at Oakhill. We are committed to being with Bongi over the next 5 years and encouraging him to ensure that he takes this opportunity with both hands and prospers. Scott is also going to mentor him and when he is done with school; if he wants to go into business he will be able to do so with our support.
Now it is your time to act! Make a huge difference in the life of this remarkable boy!
- Jan 20, 2020 - USD $ 36.39
- "Good luck" - Adrian Smythe
- Nov 30, 2017 - R 260.00
- "All the best Bongi! May all your dreams come true!" - Akofang Kgomo
- Feb 19, 2017 - R 6 717.04
- "Congratulations Bongo on your 2016 achievements, very proud of you! Make 2017 even better!" - Cliff and Julia Lamberton
- Dec 19, 2016 - R 25 010.00
- "He deserves the best start in life! " - Scott and Kelly Picken
- Dec 16, 2016 - R 10 282.00
- "Good luck Bongi enjoy" - Keystone
- Dec 05, 2016 - R 5 141.00
- "Oakhill has given Bongi such confidence and I know that he is going to be a success. Well done on passing grade 8. I know you are going to go from strength to strength" - Kevin
- Jan 05, 2016 - R 510.00
- "Education is the backbone of your being " - Anonymous
- Jan 05, 2016 - R 2 000.00
- "Only a pleasure to support education of a person willing and able but need support on the means" - Machiel
- Jan 04, 2016 - R 205.00
- "Good Luck Bongi, Love Mariella & Cliff" - Cliff & Mariella Kayat
- Dec 24, 2015 - R 205.00
- "Good luck Bongi" - Sue Ryan
- Dec 23, 2015 - R 610.00
- "May you just fly Bongi" - Mandy Roff
- Dec 21, 2015 - R 307.50
- "Well done young man." - Kyle Langman
- Dec 21, 2015 - R 2 010.00
- "It's possible for all your dreams to come true- God's put it all in you and He'll send the right people to help you along the way you just keep on doing your part:)" - Jay & Jo-Anne Thomson
- Dec 19, 2015 - USD $ 158.25
- "go get them Bongi!!! Have fun studying !!" - Petro
- Dec 18, 2015 - R 257.28
- "Good luck at your new school, Bongi! Do us proud!" - Mercia Jankowitz
- Dec 18, 2015 - R 5 125.00
- "Well done on inspiring all and good luck with your studies " - Chad and Peta-Lynn
- Dec 18, 2015 - R 1 000.00
- "Good luck at school next year Bongi" - Mike and Anne Weeden
- Dec 18, 2015 - R 2 000.00
- "We wish you all the best on your journey!" - Dieter Hinze
- Dec 18, 2015 - USD $ 66.15
- "Don't let school be the only place you learn from!" - Brendon
- Dec 17, 2015 - R 205.00
- "We are happy to be a part of a special persons education. It is the best gift of all. Make us proud Bongi" - Cliff & Mariella
- Dec 17, 2015 - R 5 000.00
- "Good luck for your future, you have the ability to calve any path you want." - Michael Honneysett
- Dec 17, 2015 - R 11 540.00
- "Dream big, learn Chinese." - Wealth Migrate China
- Dec 17, 2015 - R 5 125.00
- ""Education is the most powerful weapon you can use to change the world." - Nelson Mandela " - Cliff Lamberton
- Dec 17, 2015 - R 2 050.00
- "Having kids at a good school was a privilege and glad to join the Journey " - Jaco Maritz
- Dec 16, 2015 - R 1 025.00
- "Good luck Mbongi" - Thomas knust
- Dec 14, 2015 - R 1 025.00
- "Glad to be able to support such a wonderful opportunity. Good luck with your fundraising, Mbongiseni!" - James Hamper
- Dec 10, 2015 - R 20 000.00
- "Bongi is an exceptional boy and he is going to be successful, I guarantee it!!!" - Scott Picken
- Dec 09, 2015 - R 205.00
- "Bongi, wishing you every success this year and beyond!" - Leverage PR
- Dec 09, 2015 - R 5 010.00
- "Dear Bongi. You've shown you have the will to succeed. Never give up. Make us proud. Make your family proud. Make yourself proud. " - Andrew Cooper
- Dec 08, 2015 - R 512.50
- "Imagine if we could inspire millions of people to get involved with campaigns like this" - Paul Niederer
- Dec 08, 2015 - R 1 025.00
- "I wish we could provide this quality education to all our promising children .... " - Lynne Shone
- Dec 08, 2015 - R 1 025.00
- "all the best Bongi - concentrate on the SPORT - the marks are already there !!!" - N. Bayvel
- Dec 08, 2015 - USD $ 34.37
- "Wishing you success" - Lin Horn
- Dec 08, 2015 - R 205.00
- "This is a great initiative!" - Anonymous
Oakhill School is a co-educational day school, situated in the beautiful town of Knysna on the Garden Route in the Western Cape. The School has an outstanding academic record, with a 100% pass rate in the IEB examination since its inception. Oakhill also has a fine reputation in sports, music, art and drama.
Oakhill is a whole school: Little Oaks is the Pre-prep School – Grades 000 to R (3/4 year olds); Oakhill Prep School – Grades 1 to 7; Oakhill College – Grades 8 to 12 (Matric) – all on the same campus! They have recently acquired a new sports campus nearby where they can grow their sports offering of rugby, soccer, cricket, Astroturf hockey, netball and water polo. Oakhill also offer a range of other adventure sports which can be found on their website.
Oakhill is an exciting, vibrant, energetic space and the status quo is challenged at every turn. Thinking independently, a love of learning and the joy of life are celebrated regularly and their website is a testament to the joy experienced on a daily basis.