Help Hallie study STEM Masters @NYU
- By: Hallie Haller
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/hallie-haller
I am a creative but I'm also an entrepreneur. I'm in love with media work because media can be both a tool for democracy and an agent of delight.
My goal has always been to find ways that creativity and sustainable social impact can coexist. That's why I applied to NYU's Interactive Telecommunications Program. I've reached a point in my career where I know that my exposure is limiting the impact I can have, and I want to change that.
I started with creating branded video content for startups whose values I aligned with. I moved on to documentary work, covering causes that I felt needed exposure. Then, volunteer media work for NGOs. In my current job, I actively employ women and young people of colour, to improve representation in the media sector. I'm also a ForCreativeGirls mentor and I actively try to help young media professionals identifying opportunities and creating valuable professional networks. Now, I've been accepted to complete a Masters at NYU.
I really believe that art, profit and social good can coexist and I want to learn how I can best implement that. I want to understand how I can scale impact through work in media.
These two questions will underpin my studies:
1) How can interactive telecommunications be used to improve civic life and build stronger communities
2) How can we sustainably create jobs, by leveraging creative talent for new media outputs (eg. VR production, new media marketing, experience design etc.)
NYU’s ITP is an interdisciplinary media technology masters, combining advanced studies in audiovisuals, design, coding and physical computing (building circuits, robotics, etc.). Attending this course would make me highly specialised in creative applications of new media tech. To understand how these technologies play out, in the market, my electives from the EMT (entertainment and media technology) business masters will address learning outcomes like:
- Deal-making and business development in media
- The business of platforms, networks and two-sided markets
- Creating and capturing value through digital disruption
- Entrepreneurship in entertainment and media
I need to raise these funds by August, to help with the costs of moving countries and setting up a new student life.
NYU costs just over 90,000USD per year including living expenses, fees, travel etc.
NYU has granted me a 15,000USD bursary.
I've applied to three funding institutions and hope that one of these will help me with the remainder of the tuition (50,000USD)
This fundraising is to supplement any funding I'm able to raise and to help with the remaining costs beyond tuition - travel, living, visas, vaccinations, lab fees, fabrication material, etc.
I'm a South African. Our country's experiencing a drastic shortage of STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) skills. NYU’s ITP is unique in its practical approach. The STEM talent and technology that I will be exposed to, through this program, would be impossible for me to access in South Africa. What’s more, this is a recognised STEM degree rooted in media production – and I have not been able to find an English-medium course, of this kind, outside of the USA.
New York is the largest media market in North America and is often referred to as the media capital of the world. Part of the value of this course is that I would regularly be exposed to key industry players that drive innovation, in interactive telecommunications, globally. This would contextualize my academics and expand my professional network in a way that couldn't be achieved studying elsewhere.
Media-making is an intensely collaborative practice and my ability to develop valuable networks has determined my professional success to date. I know that the work I want to do will intersect film, design and marketing disciplines, so having connections in all of these industries is critical for my career development. NYU has a strong, diverse academic offering. Strategically taking electives in various department would allow me to interact with experts in these respective disciplines and form career-changing networks.
I've spent four years working towards this because I am certain that this is the exposure I need to scale impact through my work in media
- Jun 13, 2019 - R 310.00
- "Eeek excitement! You go girl! And continue the amazingness!" - Biance
- Jun 12, 2019 - USD $ 146.50
- "Very best wishes with this. So excited for you." - Aunty G
- Jun 11, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "Love you Lulu Belle" - Mum
- Jun 11, 2019 - USD $ 99.09
- "Baby shoes! We miss you so much, and hell NYC seems like the right place to go pay you a visit! We have all the faith in you cause you are amazing! Love ya" - Mario and Andrea
- Jun 05, 2019 - USD $ 105.20
- "Really hope you make it there Hallie - you deserve everything xom:)" - Mike L
- Jun 04, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Our life is composed greatly from dreams, from the unconscious, and they must be brought into connection with action. They must be woven together. -A Nin. So much love for you brave woman. Go conquer!" - Layla
- Jun 04, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "Love you " - Neighbae
- Jun 04, 2019 - R 411.28
- "Good luck!" - Daniel
- Jun 04, 2019 - USD $ 42.08
- "Hope you reach your goals Hallie!!" - Jana
- Jun 04, 2019 - USD $ 63.12
- "I know how it feels when you're looking at that door trying to figure out how to open it. I have no doubt you can make anything you want happen! Love! " - Daphnatix
- Jun 02, 2019 - R 308.46
- "Love " - Shameezy
- May 30, 2019 - USD $ 10.50
- "I’ve seen your work with Ora and it’s all so visually stunning! NYU would be lucky to have you! Would love to collab someday. Don’t have much to give as I’m an artist myself but hope this helps. " - Teju Jyothi-Qadeer
- May 30, 2019 - USD $ 34.12
- "Con mucho amor Hallie guapa. " - Carlos
- May 22, 2019 - USD $ 30.00
- "From one struggling grad student to the other soon-to-be. May your creativity, networks, and entrepreneurial acumen take you as far as you can go, lady Haller! " - A Bing Lin
- May 21, 2019 - USD $ 7.31
- "PLEASE MOVE TO NYC <3" - Shuey
- May 21, 2019 - R 500.00
- "Love you lots! <3" - Izzy
- May 20, 2019 - R 102.82
- "A little bit of help I can give for now. Will send more soon. Luck and love H " - Anonymous
- May 15, 2019 - USD $ 235.19
- "For the black rabbit of course" - Lapin blanc
- May 15, 2019 - R 500.00
- "Go go go baby! Thank you for being such an incredibly supportive friend and collaborator. You're gonna do great things!" - S
- May 14, 2019 - R 507.50
- "Go chase your dream!! The time is now. " - Luke Dominique Warner
- May 14, 2019 - USD $ 73.40
- "Babbbbbbbyyy my love for you is huge! " - Leora
- May 14, 2019 - USD $ 157.80
- "All success starts from a little move. I wish you all the best for your unknown future and it must be fantastic. " - Mars
- May 13, 2019 - USD $ 74.19
- "Good luck, you’re doing a great job already and being able to further your dream at NYU Is amazing! " - Hemani
- May 13, 2019 - R 205.64
- "All the best - in improving yourself you will improve others." - Anonymous
- May 13, 2019 - USD $ 111.28
- "Hope you reach your goal!" - Gecille and Des
- May 13, 2019 - USD $ 76.80
- "Go get that degree" - Berold
- May 13, 2019 - USD $ 201.78
- "Cant wait to see what the future holds for that brilliant, beautiful noggin of yours! Counting the days until we’re in the same city again ??" - Deria
- May 13, 2019 - USD $ 370.94
- "Go, go Hallie, you're my pally, rest assured what's ours is yours, for your success shall open all our doors! " - Dave the
- May 13, 2019 - USD $ 33.38
- "So ready to release storm Hallie on this sleeping world. Bursting with Bambi love for you - Happy birthday!" - Bambi
- May 13, 2019 - USD $ 37.09
- "Happy birthday Hallie! This looks fantastic. Wishing you all the best luck online the world. Know you’ll smash it! ????????" - Jess
- May 13, 2019 - USD $ 37.09
- "Happy birthday, gorge!" - Leanne
- May 13, 2019 - R 500.00
- "Good luck! You deserve this <3" - Anonymous