QUADRIPLEGIC ARTIST NEEDS ASSISTANCE TO CARRY ON PAINTING
- By: Ana Ferreira
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/heiron-joseph
My name is Ana and I am 49 years old living in Blouberg South Africa. I met Heiron Joseph in 2006 when I visited Eric Miles Cheshire Home in Milnerton. We instantly became friends and keep in touch at least once a week. Heiron now lives in Vredenburg so to visit him is a challenge.
Heiron Joseph's life changed from a diving accident and instantly became a quadriplegic. Heiron wasn't going to give up so easily and even decided to up-skill himself to get out into the job market. But to no avail. He wasn't able to find employment.
Heiron only receives a grant from the government and this is not sufficient to take care of his special needs. He was a resident at Eric Miles Cheshire Homes thanks to the support of family and friends but Heiron soon ran out of this support. Heiron has had to look into alternative ways to be financially independent. Bearing in mind that he has to find the finances to provide himself with 2 caregivers - one for the day and one for the night.
Heiron had in the meantime attended an art class and fell in love with it and very soon taught himself to paint by mouth. He is only able to utilise his head and some neck movements in order to paint. His artwork is extraordinary and he is clearly extremely talented. But it comes at a price to his body and well being.
Heiron currently uses a wheelchair to sit in to paint. This can be very draining on the body and affects circulation and pressure points.
The "standing" and "sitting" wheelchair will give Heiron more "freedom" to paint. It assists with blood flow and circulation and gives him relief from pressure points. The wheelchair represents a bit more freedom to Heiron than just being in a wheelchair all day. His current wheelchair restricts him from continuing with his passion and his livelihood.
It would be wonderful to present this new wheelchair to Heiron for Christmas 2019 and we hope to achieve this goal. The "standing" and "sitting" wheelchair costs R185 000. This is covered by a service plan. However additional batteries are not included. These estimate at about R4000 each and normally last only 3 to 4 years. Heiron is not in a financial position to incur the additional costs of the batteries and hence provision has been made for this.
As Heiron depends on a government grant that does not accommodate to his living expenses and that of caregivers, with the new wheelchair Heiron will be able to create more art and assist him with generating an income. At the moment the chair he uses can only assist him for limited periods of time.
Heiron is normally commissioned for art pieces but this is not regularly and there are periods of no additional income. His health also suffers due to spending long hours on his current chair and this new wheelchair will be a game-changer for him.
*Funds raised will be paid directly to Simplify Wheelchair Seating*
- Feb 25, 2020 - R 51.41
- "... " - Anonymous
- Jan 31, 2020 - R 510.00
I hope 20plenty gets you to your target ASAP!" - Colleen P
- Jan 23, 2020 - R 514.10
- "Your work is amazing and hanging on my wall !" - Shaughn Rousseau
- Jan 03, 2020 - USD $ 35.53
- "Dear Heiron, all the best for 2020!!! Natalie & Raphael" - Natalie and Raphael
- Dec 04, 2019 - USD $ 68.23
- "Stay inspired and keeping painting your beautiful pieces " - Mike Abel
- Dec 03, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Heiron - all of the very best" - T C Vlaanderen
- Nov 26, 2019 - R 3 010.00
Heiron, may God bless you with the full amount" - Damesbybelstudie NG Kerk Table View
- Nov 21, 2019 - R 5 100.00
Test transmission" - Pierre
- Nov 15, 2019 - USD $ 19.17
- "Lots of Love " - Jennifer Sanson
- Nov 05, 2019 - R 510.00
May God bless you farmore abundantly than all you can ever ask or think." - Cheryl
- Oct 29, 2019 - R 304.50
- "Just keep at it..... Good luck" - Gavin
- Oct 12, 2019 - USD $ 169.30
- "In memory of our dear grandmother." - Anonymous
- Oct 11, 2019 - USD $ 33.28
- "Lots of luck??" - Pamela
- Oct 10, 2019 - USD $ 32.92
- "All the best - You are a great artist and a big inspiration!" - M. Hess
- Oct 10, 2019 - R 260.00
- "You are an inspiration to all of us. May the money pour in to make this dream a reality!" - Helen
- Oct 07, 2019 - R 500.00
- "Heiron we live in faith that we will be able to achieve the very high target to obtain your chair. We understand how it will have such a great impact on your life. Keep the faith my friend" - Glen and Ana
- Oct 07, 2019 - R 100.00
- "I personally have not met you and I hope I will have the opportunity to meet you one day. A friend of Ana is a friend of mine too. I hope you get your wheelchair very soon" - Leah
- Oct 04, 2019 - R 507.50
- "You are truly and inspiration to many of the other quadriplegic patients out there! Keep it up!" - Secret Supporter
- Oct 04, 2019 - R 300.00
- "Keep shining x" - AnonyMouse
- Oct 03, 2019 - R 510.00
- "I love your work Heiron. God bless" - Italia
- Oct 03, 2019 - R 102.82
- "A real inspiration! Continue with the good work and keep your chin up!" - Robs
- Oct 02, 2019 - R 100.00
- "Hoping that you will reach the target so that this talented man can continue painting." - colleen
- Oct 02, 2019 - R 100.00
- "Good luck " - Anonymous
- Sep 30, 2019 - R 200.00
- "Towards Heiron's fundraiser" - Anonymous
- Sep 29, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Good luck and best wishes! ????????????" - Harris
- Sep 29, 2019 - R 507.50
- "You are an inspiration to all of us and I that together we will get you your chair!" - Sean King
Heiron Joseph Wheelchair Cause
Heiron Joseph's life changed from a diving accident and instantly became a quadriplegic. He decided to upskill himself, and attended an art class, where he fell in love with painting. He taught himself to paint by mouth. Ana would like to raise funds to buy him a new wheelchair that will assist with his blood flow while painting.