Help Aidan Hear
- By: Duane Vrey
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/help-aidan-hear
Duane and Yolanda Vrey, aged 43 residing in Port Elizabeth. We are blessed with two beautiful children Aidan, age 20 and his sister Kaitlyn, age 18.
We are raising urgently needed funds for our son, Aidan.
He was born with Nager Syndrome also known as Nager Acrofacial Dysostosis. The syndrome affects the baby's bone development while still in the womb. This genetic condition is very rare and only 70 documented cases worldwide and he is the only one we know of in South Africa.
For Aidan this meant that some of his back bones or spine grows at different speed and therefore causing a lot of growth problems. (Growing skew or causing discomfort).
Some of the bones in his arms are also fused which limits the radius he can turn his hands and arms at. He was born with no thumbs and therefore had to undergo few operations to move his index finger to make a thumb. He has limited use of them.
His biggest problem was his lower jaw was under developed and therefore could not breathe or eat or speak and had to wear a tracheotomy and be fed by feeding tube. After 42 operations Aidan can now breathe normally and speak but still not eat.
We were able to remove the tracheotomy and replace the feeding tube with a Mickey (button like connection on stomach directly leading into stomach) where we connect a feeding bag to. He receives formula feeds every 4 hours.
After all Aidan has been through it hasn't dampened his spirit and finished Grade 12 in 2017 and is an inspiration to all.
Our most urgent matter at present is to fund his hearing aid. His ear canals are also closed or fused and therefore he has to wear a Bone Conducting Hearing aid that was implanted into his scull.
A external unit clips on and allows him to hear. His present external hearing aid unit was discontinued and also not being serviced anymore. Although serviced recently, we have noticed, in a short period of time and with confirmation by Aidan raising his own concerns about not hearing us or having to turn up his audio volume to the max, it is unfortunately deteriorating rapidly.
The current unit can cease to function anytime, leaving him unable to hear, therefore we urgently need to obtain the new device as soon as possible
Our medical aid does not cover this and we are financially unable to provide this for him. The funds to be raised will be used to purchase his replacement unit, "the BAHA 5 Processor" at the costs of R67,800.00
Any extra funds will only be used for him personally, (and these are all not covered under our medical aid). Buying of the supplement formula he gets 4 hourly/day, his gastrostomy tubes/feeding set and nappies for night time incontinence.
Enjoying the gift of hearing it will also when accomplished be a life changing experience for Aidan with today's advanced technology as to 2006's. Most important his hearing will be clearer, surround sound enabling him to identify direction sound is coming from, focused with background noise reduction.
Funds raised will be administered by BackaBuddy and paid directly to the Audiologist, Melanie Naude as per quotation attached of R67,800.00
If and when extra funds are raised or made available we would generously request BackaBuddy to pay directly to the supplier of Aidan's formula.
If we are so blessed to have extra available after all is payed we sincerely ask your permission that such funds are paid to us for Aidan's other needed medical accessories as mentioned.
Please note - This is a BackaBuddy managed campaign and the relevant organisations will be paid directly by BackaBuddy
- May 13, 2019 - R 1 000.00
- "Alle sterkte en voorspoed." - Christie Olivier
- May 02, 2019 - R 210.00
- "May Aidan get his hearing aid really soon. God bless the family. " - Sharon
- May 01, 2019 - R 2 030.00
- "Baie sterkte vir julle." - Pieter du Randt
- Apr 30, 2019 - R 1 000.00
- "So proud of what you have achieved in life Aiden??" - Lindy Ferrey
- Apr 30, 2019 - R 110.00
- "Not much, but I hope it helps. Xxx" - Anon
- Apr 28, 2019 - R 203.00
- "All the best! " - Tessa de Jager
- Apr 28, 2019 - R 101.50
- "Wish you healing.x" - Lynn
- Apr 27, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Hope this helps " - Graham
- Apr 26, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Anything is possible trough Chrst our Lord. Please support this beautiful young man ????" - Anonymous
- Apr 26, 2019 - R 101.50
- "All the Best young man. Remain positive and strong, you are an inspiration to many. GOD BLESS you!" - Roydon Campbell
- Apr 26, 2019 - R 2 000.00
- "In memory of my husband Ronnie Smith. Yolanda’s compassion, love and assistance will not be forgotten " - Smith family
- Apr 26, 2019 - R 101.50
- "best of luck" - Monica
- Apr 26, 2019 - R 50.00
- "I know you would love to hear how loved and appreciated you are so I hope that this all goes well for you. We have been in the same school for years, we were never close but I will pray for you x " - Emma Coxhill
- Apr 25, 2019 - R 514.10
- "I also have a son, Aidan. Your Aidan seems to be as precious and beautiful as mine. God Bless" - Angela