Help Hennie beat cancer
- By: Kristy Claassen
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/help-hennie-beat-cancer
Hennie Thompson's story….
Herewith the story related to my little brother…. For friends, family members & all the new people following us.
Hennie Thompson is my little brother who I raised since I was 7 years old, because our parents died when we were very young.
My brother turned 22 on the 3rd of January. After he matriculated he started working immediately. While he was working he did a Business Management Course and graduated in 2017.
Five Months ago he started working at a new company. His dream was to build himself up in the company, but he started getting sick on a regular basis. He went to his house doctor as he thought he had some stomach flu, because he was struggling to eat, struggling with his stomach etc.
After some tests was done, they diagnosed Hennie with Stage 1 Embryonal Testicular Carcinoma on 13 October 2018. His alpha fetoprotein marker was positive 21.2. His histology of his radical orchidectomy showed an embryonic germ cell malignant tumour. The tumour is 23x18x10 mm in size.
After the shocking news we received by thinking he had an stomach flu. We had to make an urgent plan to get the money together for the operation as he is not on a medical aid. After some loans was made, he underwent surgery the same week to remove the tumour.
A few weeks after the operation, he was again sent for scans and some blood tests to be sure that the cancer was removed safely.
The test results from the doctors came back and they saw the following:
Lung Fields: Small pleural based nodule in the lower lobe. No nodules that can fit in with metastases.
Liver: Small calcification in the inferior right lobe. Fatty infiltration adjacent to the falciform ligament.
Pancreas and Spleen: Homogenous parenchyma
Scrotum: Signs of right orchidectomy and small left hydrocele.
The doctor was very positive after the results and said that everything was okay with him, he only had to go for 2-3 chemo sessions just to make sure everything was gone and that he had to go see the doctor every 6 months to check that everything is okay. He told my brother that there is no need to worry about the black spot on his lungs, the chemo will sort it out with 2-3 sessions.
A few days after the results and news from the doctor, Hennie started to feel sick again. He was nauseous, his cut from the operation was not healing properly and had infection, etc. He started to worry and went to see his house doctor. She did a urine test and picked up that his infection count was very high. She was worried and requested all his tests results, his doctors feedback and ask him to go for an 2nd opinion. His house doctor showed him to a doctor at Steve Biko. He got an opening at Steve Biko to start his chemo session on the 2nd January 2019. As he went there on the 2nd of January, they took some blood tests and scans before they started the chemo.
The test results of the blood tests and the scans came back and they saw the following:
The black patch on his lung was a very serious tumour and grew much bigger in a months’ time as what they expected. The cancer appeared to have spread to his lung and it sounded very serious. The doctor at Steve Biko said that he had to start his chemo sessions very urgently as the tumour is growing very fast. The doctor started the chemo session very quickly, but very strong as well. His 1st Chemo session started on the 10th of January. He was submitted in hospital for 5 days with 4 hours of chemo sessions per day. He will basically be flushed with Chemo for the next few months.
The treatment he will be receiving for the next few weeks:
There is a long hard way for Hennie that lies ahead. It won’t be easy on him. He will get sick very quickly. We received a list of things that will happen to Hennie in the 3 months. He is already struggling to eat, his skin is itchy and sensitive, he already lost his hair, pain in his muscles, sore throat etc.
After 3 weeks of chemo they discovered on 24 January 2019 that Hennies white blood cells counting was very low. The counting was 1.3 where it should usually be between 7 & 11. He has to inject himself with S4 Neupogen 30 MU for the next 5 days to make the white blood cells more.
He will be admitted in the hospital in the hospital tomorrow 31 January 2019 for another 5 days. This will go on for the next 3 months. Hennie is doing good, he is very positive.
We started a fundraiser and a Facebook page to support Hennie. He has a few expenses to cover over the next few months and not being at work makes it tough to keep head above water.
- Back to Buddy Fundraising- https://www.backabuddy.co.za/ help-hennie-beat-cancer
- Facebook- https://fb.me/HennieThompsonCancerFundraiser
The steps on Back a buddy are very simple and very easy. Click on the link, choose donate and just follow the steps.
The last thing I want to say is please pray for my brother. Please share this post with everyone you know and please pray that my brother will get better. We need all the prayers that we can get. We know that God will put his hand of custody on him and heal him. Help him to stay positive by sending him messages and videos. Visit him. He will need all the motivation and support he can get for the next few months.
A special thank you to Hennie’s friends and family who supports him all the way every day. And a special thank you to Shaun and his parents for always being there and supporting Hennie while also going through something else. We pray that God will help and heal the ones in your family too.
- Feb 02, 2019 - R 6 169.20
- "Hennie, jy is in ons harte en gebede. Liefde van al die onderwysers en leerders van Excelsior Akademie" - Excelsior Akademie
- Jan 29, 2019 - USD $ 26.95
- "Stay strong" - Anthony
- Jan 13, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "Hi Hennie we wish all the best and know you will fight this and come out on top, promise us you will never give up and get better. With lots of love and of love and hugs David and Alex" - David & Alexey
- Jan 13, 2019 - R 203.00
- "Stay strong!" - Anonymous
- Jan 11, 2019 - R 203.00
- "Stay strong" - Anonymous
- Jan 11, 2019 - R 500.00
- "Dink aan jou. Sterkte!" - Anonymous
- Dec 26, 2018 - R 2 570.50
- "Geseënde Kersfees" - Die le Roux's
- Dec 11, 2018 - R 1 000.00
- "Good luck!!!" - The Makings
- Dec 03, 2018 - R 500.00
- "Get well soon buddy! All the best!" - Dillan
- Nov 30, 2018 - R 1 028.20
- "Staan sterk vriend! " - Stephan
- Nov 28, 2018 - R 510.00
- "Sterkte.. " - Alta
- Nov 27, 2018 - R 304.50
- "Pad na geneesing en rustige hart, is op jou knee. Bid vir jou en Shaun x" - Ellie
- Nov 27, 2018 - R 205.64
- "Sterkte Hennie. n druppel in die emmer maar ja ek n oor ook as jy wil praat. sterkte meneer. gloof en vertroue beteken genesing " - Jacques Neethling
- Nov 27, 2018 - R 210.00
- "Lief jou boeta!! Ons dink en bid vir jou elke dag! Jys sterk!!" - Monique
- Nov 26, 2018 - R 1 015.00
- "Sterkte Hennie! " - Anonymous
- Nov 24, 2018 - USD $ 75.91
- "Marry Christmas??" - Secret santa
- Nov 21, 2018 - R 514.10
- "Ek dink aan julle!" - Rolé
- Nov 20, 2018 - USD $ 37.48
- "..." - Anonymous
- Nov 20, 2018 - R 300.00
- "“We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.”" - Cornel
- Nov 19, 2018 - R 1 000.00
- "Baie sterkte and well wishes for you and your loved ones" - Anonymous
- Nov 17, 2018 - R 507.50
- "Your illness does not define you. Your strength an courage does. Stay strong!" - Werner
- Nov 15, 2018 - USD $ 73.10
- "Well wishes mate" - From Australia
- Nov 15, 2018 - R 205.64
- "Good luck." - Anonymous
- Nov 07, 2018 - R 2 030.00
- "Never give up ~ Miracles happen every day! " - Shaé
- Nov 07, 2018 - USD $ 37.26
- "Hoping for a quick recovery " - Anonymous
- Nov 07, 2018 - R 510.00
- "Boeta... ek het nie nou baie om te gee nie, maar sal soos ek kan. Ek bid elke aand dat jy gesond word. Ons is baie lief vir jou!!! Ons is al deur baie, en gaan hier deur ook kom. Baie lief vir jou!" - Monique
- Nov 07, 2018 - R 514.10
- "Wishing you all the best my friend" - Prava & Nik
- Nov 07, 2018 - R 514.10
- "Sterkte Hennie" - Linda
- Nov 07, 2018 - R 514.10
- "Well wishes!" - Anonymous
- Nov 06, 2018 - R 200.00
- "Wishing you all the best " - Ernest
- Nov 06, 2018 - R 200.00
- "Supporting you all the way! Good luck and may you inspire so many others with your story. Be strong and know u have an amazing support structure. " - Aylin
- Nov 06, 2018 - R 514.10
- "Baie sterkte" - Estelle Barnard
- Nov 06, 2018 - USD $ 37.16
- "All the best" - Anonymous
- Nov 06, 2018 - R 205.64
- "Good luck" - Thomas
- Nov 06, 2018 - R 500.00
- "Sterkte" - Schalk
- Nov 06, 2018 - USD $ 15.00
- "Good luck Hennie!" - Casey
Hennie Thompson Cancer Cause
We are backing our buddy Hennie by raising funds to cover his medical expenses. Hennie was diagnosed with a germ-cell tumour on 9 October 2018 at the age of 21.
Please Help Us Spread The Word: