BLIND DA COUNCILLOR OF CAPITAL SWIMS 20TH CONSECUTIVE MIDMAR MILE FOR BRAILLE SERVICES OF BLIND SA
- By: Hentie Nortjé
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/hentie-nortje-blind-sa
- Date Created: 9 April 2020
R 19 400
R 20 000
I am competing in the Midmar Mile 2020.
My name is Hentie Nortjé and I live in Lynnwood, Tshwane.
I am a blind long-distance swimmer and am I preparing for my 20th consecutive Midmar Mile, which will take place on Saturday the 8th of February 2020. I am currently practicing as an attorney and am I furthermore a councillor for the Democratic Alliance in the City of Tshwane Metro.
I swam over the last years for numerous schools and institutions in and around the Capital, namely:
- Carel Du Toit Centre for children with hearing disabilities in 2013 (see: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/deaf-children2013thiscampaignisnowcomplete )
- Pathways-Pretoria School for multi disabled children in 2014 (https://www.backabuddy.co.za/blind-man-swims-for-disabled-children- )
- Pula Difate Primary School in 2015 (see: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/blind-man-swims-for-pula-difate-primary-school )
- Democratic Alliance in 2016 (see: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/blind-councillor-swims-16th-midmar-mile-fo2016 )
- SA Guide Dog Association in 2017 (see: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/blind-councillor-of-tshwane-swims-for-the )
- Harmonie Oord (and shelter) in 2018 (see: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/blind-councillor-swims-for-shelter-in-tshw )
- Residentia Old Age Home in 2019 (see: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/blind-councillor-swims-for-old-age-home-in )
I had been introduced to Braille during the course of my Grade 1 school year. This has changed my life for the better forever. I continued using Braille throughout my school career up and until the end of Grade 12.
During my studies for B.Juris and LLB at university, it became a struggle to obtain handbooks in Braille. I was forced to use audio cassettes to get access to all my prescribed handbooks. However, I could at least make my own Braille notes for my own study purposes.
As a practicing attorney and councillor in the City of Tshwane Metro, I try to use Braille as far as possible.
Through the assistance of Braille Services of Blind SA, I have been able to transcribe many important documents, legislation and even handbooks in Braille, to pursue my professional and political career.
I will always prefer Braille before any other format. It is for this reason that I am grateful towards Braille Services of Blind SA for the great work which they are doing for decades under serious financial challenges. The professional service which I am receiving from the management and personnel of Braille Services of Blind SA, is simply applaudable.
It is because of the excellent services rendered by Braille Services of Blind SA, not only for myself, but for learners, students, members of the public and professional disabled people, that I have decided to swim my 20th consecutive Midmar Mile on the 8th of February 2020 to raise funds for this wonderful institution, which only receives limited financial support on an ad hoc basis from the National Department of Culture.
Please consider making a generous donation to this worthwhile cause, by clicking on the yellow “donate” button.
- Mar 11, 2021 - R 200.00 Fees covered
- "Go Hentie!! Covid gaan nie wen!!" - HELENA
- Feb 08, 2020 - R 200.00 Fees covered
- "Jy is n groot inspirasie!! " - Valerie
- Feb 06, 2020 - R 1 000.00 Fees covered
- "Jinne Bru, lekker swem ek se!" - Brat
- Jan 23, 2020 - R 500.00 Fees covered
- "All the best! May this be the best one ever!!" - Ronel
- Jan 23, 2020 - R 2 000.00 Fees covered
- "Go Hentie! Thank you for setting the bar and congratulations on your 20th Midmar Mile - proud to be your friend." - LIZA VAN SCHALKWYK ATTORNEYS
- Jan 23, 2020 - R 2 000.00 Fees covered
- "baie geluk met die mylpaal van 20!" - Abraham Louw
- Dec 14, 2019 - R 200.00 Fees covered
- "Geniet 20 ste Midmar Hentie!! " - HELENA BURGER
- Dec 03, 2019 - R 1 000.00 Fees covered
- "All the best. You are changing the lives of so many!" - Soshan Soobramoney
- Dec 01, 2019 - R 500.00 Fees covered
- "Veelsgeluk met jou 20ste poging Hentie. Ons is almal baie trots op jou prestasie!" - Johan Jansen
- Nov 29, 2019 - R 1 000.00 Fees covered
- "Go Hentie!!!!" - Dream World Beefmasters