- By: Angela Lurssen
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/heroes4cancer
Comrades Ultra Marathon, Sunday 9TH June 2019
This Sunday, the 9th June, I embark on the Comrades ultra-marathon up run: 87kms of road to conquer. The first 42.2km Bruce Fordyce describes as the toughest marathon in the world thanks to the intensity of climbing required. Comrades Profile
This follows last year’s down run, which I hope will result in achieving a back-to-back medal. That’s the plan anyway.
As you know, taking on this sort of challenge doesn’t come easy. It takes months of 4am wake up calls during the week for early morning training sessions, weekends consumed by long hours on the tar (remind me what a lie in is?!), endless speed sessions, hill sprints till you taste blood and your lungs feel like they want to burst out your chest, hours of time spent at the gym strengthening our core, the occasional fall resulting in needing 8 stiches in your knee – you get the picture.
It entails 100% commitment and focus.
Saying that, besides the relentless hours, you do get to make and strengthen incredible friendships and have this one mammoth goal that everyone collectively works towards like a solid team.
The name of race rings true: you forge Comrades for life.
A bit about the race: it's South Africa's longest, most gruelling, most viewed and most loved ultra-marathon. The 'living' memorial was the idea of World War veteran Vic Clapham, to commemorate the South African soldiers killed during the 1st world war and wanting the memorial to be a test of physical endurance. The spirit of the Comrades marathon embodies camaraderie, selflessness, dedication, perseverance and sizonqoba: meaning ‘together we triumph’.
This year I’d like to dedicate my Comrades to someone who has always been there for me, a solid force to be reckoned with and someone who tackles life challenges with strength and grace: my Mum.
And the charity I’d like to support this year is Cancer Heroes. These guys do amazing work in the areas of cancer education, early detection, advocacy and support, helping the poorest of poor and medically disenfranchised.
We’ve all been touched by this disease and being able to make a small difference to improve the lives of others drives me forward during each step on the 9th June.
This is my ‘Why’.
If you'd like to track my progress, my race number is 15257 via: www.comrades.com/
I will be thinking of each and every one of you on the 9th June.
Thank you, Ange X
- Jun 26, 2019 - USD $ 63.29
- "Well done Ange!" - Simon Holliday
- Jun 20, 2019 - USD $ 37.99
- "Better late than never strong Lady xx" - Anne
- Jun 12, 2019 - USD $ 71.71
- "Congratulations!" - Graham & Sharon
- Jun 11, 2019 - USD $ 33.66
- "Fantastic effort and PB!!" - Dominique Louis
- Jun 10, 2019 - USD $ 67.13
- "Congrats Ange ! - I trust you are resting up today," - Andy M
- Jun 09, 2019 - USD $ 13.37
- "Well done Angela you inspire me my friend " - Tania
- Jun 09, 2019 - R 200.00
- "A big thank you to Angela and the foundation for everything being done!" - Lisa Ross-Thompson
- Jun 09, 2019 - R 205.64
- "You are an inspiration!!" - Karen and Miguel
- Jun 08, 2019 - R 500.00
- "Enjoy the run! (:" - Des Wallace
- Jun 08, 2019 - R 350.00
- "Angela, you always inspire us so much! Run well!" - Janine & Ed
- Jun 07, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Go Angie!! Success is no accident." - Warren
- Jun 07, 2019 - USD $ 266.15
- "Ange what a legend you are. So inspiring - you’ll be brilliant xxxx" - Cassie
- Jun 07, 2019 - USD $ 133.15
- "Go Ange! Great charity choice well done" - Phil Gripton
- Jun 07, 2019 - USD $ 70.04
- "Best of luck Ange - stay strong!" - Barnaby
- Jun 07, 2019 - USD $ 140.07
- "This is such a tough challenge but I know you’ll do it - you’re amazing. Good luck x" - Keith
- Jun 06, 2019 - USD $ 67.38
- "Very good luck Ange. Sending best wishes and huge respect " - Poppy Brech
- Jun 06, 2019 - USD $ 44.84
- "Good luck!" - Jane
Cancer Heroes was founded in remembrance all the Cancer Heroes that have gone before us. They gave us the strength and perseverance to make a difference in others lives that are starting their cancer journey’s while assisting others to reach clarity on their health status.
As a Public Benefit Organisation (PBO) we aims to stand tall in support of all that are affected by cancer, including patients, families, carers, medical staff, paramedical staff and doctors, while finding innovative ways to reduce the risk and infection of cancer.
Our vision is put into actionable programs, with a focus on stewardship initiatives for all aspects of the South African ever increasing Cancer incidents, while creating activities to benefit society as a whole. All these associations will be entered into to explore alternative methods of promoting its objectives, attempting wherever possible to include as many individuals requiring assistance, especially the poor and needy and medically disenfranchised.
Cancer Heroes’ mission is to create value to all through the delivery of clear and consistent operational focus while applying a holistic, efficient operating model of disciplined, efficient and cost-effective capital management to enable delivery of its founding statements while creating an approach of value-accretive growth to attain these goals.
We will attain it through maintaining the organisation's main objectives which are philanthropic purposes of Education, Early Detection, Advocacy and Support, and will attain these aims through the application of:
- Education initiatives
- Early Detection Campaigns
- Raise public awareness through Media Campaigns
- Treatment and Rehabilitative support
- Partnering with affiliates such as other cancer organisations,
- Partnering with healthcare facilities,
- Partnering with care agencies and programmes, institutes, universities or colleges, professional associations, libraries, journals, publications, conferences or other bodies.
Cancer Heroes creates Value to those who are afflicted by Cancer, so that they can still have those Priceless Moments every day!