Hope for Orphan & Vulnerable Children
- By: Jill Carolissen
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/hope-for-orphan-vulnerable-children
Dear Friends & Family
We need your help to bring hope to the orphans & vulnerable children of Fisantekraal, an impoverished community just outside of Durbanville, Cape Town.
We are an Orphan and Vulnerable Child Care organisation, born out of a need to assist the destitute orphan and vulnerable children living in the community of Fisantekraal. Fisantekraal has more than 33 000 residents, 75% of whom are under the age of 20. There is little to no infrastructure or resources for the children & youth in this community, and many of them have little to no sense of hope for their futures. There are only 2 schools in the area, with more than 70 children in a class, and many more, some as young as 3yrs old,are unable to attend school & left alone, to care for themselves until the adults return after work.
Research has shown that without interventions, they will remain in immense poverty, both mentally and physically which will lead to even more dire and volatile circumstances, as is already the case in Fisantekraal, where poverty & unemployment has led to abject neglect & sexual abuse of the children living there.
Our vision is to restore families, transform lives and create an environment where every orphan and vulnerable child can be part of a loving, stable family, where they can go from merely surviving to thriving.
We do this by establishing ourselves in the community & creating mechanisms to intervene on an educational, mental, physical, emotional & spiritual level, without creating dependency on the organisation. We believe this is the basis for a brighter future, where they can empower themselves to thrive, built on a hand up, not a handout. We do this through:
• Growing parents – Guardians taking care of OVC need to be adequately equipped to do so and so a great portion of our focus is investing in their personal growth & development through means of life skills training, counselling & skills development.
• Job Creation – Developing skills & creating sustainable jobs for parents taking care of OVC to ensure that there are enough resources to care for & feed their families.
• Growing & developing children – assisting in access to good quality education as well as emotional, spiritual & mental interventions. After school programs will provide further educational support as well as talent development through means of arts & crafts, music, IT skills & sport.
• Housing support – providing proper, stable housing for the families on our program who live in dire consequences, to enhance their quality of life.
• Continued support of families – through facilitating access to government services, establishing parent support groups, counselling sessions, home visits & other necessary services.
Currently, we are running operations from a house we have leased in the community, but we have been offered a 6000 square meter plot of land to purchase so that we can build a community centre. This community centre will be a beacon of hope & dignity for this community, the heartbeat from where we can love on, care for & grow these orphans & vulnerable children.
We need your help to raise the R500 000 asking price for the land so that we can build the Fisantekraal Community Centre & impact more lives.
- Nov 23, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Hold on to God's promise that your Kingdom Work will bring His Light and restoration to the community of Fisantekraal." - Ken Samuels and family
- Nov 21, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Just a little to get u started! " - Kim Thornton
The Fathers Heart Community Development
We are an Orphan and Vulnerable Child Care organization, started in 2019 to assist destitute orphan and vulnerable children. There are more than 5.2 million orphans and vulnerable children (OVC’s) living inside the borders of South Africa today.
Very few of these children have found placement within institutions or formal adoptions, leaving 90% of these OVC’s in the care of grandmothers, relatives or aunts in the communities of South Africa. In most instances, these guardians are barely surviving to provide for themselves, let alone the OVC’s in their care.
Our role is to restore families, transform lives and create an environment where every orphan and vulnerable child can be part of a loving, stable family, where they can go from merely surviving to thrive. We do this by partnering with these families and supporting them through, job creation and placements, upskilling and development and providing foundational tuition and talent development opportunities to the children.