SWISSMAN Extreme Ironman for Nemato "Change a Life"
- By: Ross Gearing
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/ironman-for-nemato
I am going to be competing in one of the worlds hardest and most extreme Ironman distance triathlons, the SWISSMAN. The beautiful course takes competitors up three mountain passes during the 180km cycle and you finish the marathon ascending the Gridelwald Mountain.
There is a total of 5,500m elevation gain during the race. This test pales in comparison to what millions of disadvantaged children in South Africa have to overcome on a daily basis. I am therefore aiming to raise funds for the Nemato change a life charity.
This charity is an empowerment organisation for disadvantaged township youth. It's run by its beneficiaries and helps the members to get the mindset, skills, knowledge and support to become successful in life.
They offer a full holistic programme including daily homework classes, skills development opportunities in many fields like boat repair, photography, club management, leadership skills, etc. It also includes a good meal every day, because many families have too little income for good nutrition. Sport is an important part of their program. It is the magnet that pulls and keeps youth in the programme. It helps to develop a winning mindset. They offer small Olympic sports (rowing, gymnastics, handball and fencing) that give their members the opportunity to compete outside the township at provincial and national level.
I have personally been involved in the charity before while I was a school boy rower at St Andrew's College. We shared the same water with Nemato and their members were a true inspiration to us. Through their hard work, dedication and amazing lust for life they achieved amazing results and set themselves up for a future they previously could have only dreamed of.
I hope that this contribution can keep them moving to new heights and keep directly changing these children's lives for the better.
- May 22, 2018 - R 514.10
- "Good luck Ross. " - Andrew Craig
- May 22, 2018 - USD $ 26.65
- "Good luck Ross" - Matt Barker
- May 22, 2018 - R 348.24
- "Best of luck Ross - enjoy it ?!" - Te Murphy Family
- May 22, 2018 - USD $ 42.24
- "Gods luck with the challenge " - Graham & Caroline
- May 21, 2018 - USD $ 21.43
- "You and your Mum are utter machines! I have no doubt that you will succeed! Great charity. Good luck!!!" - Cassie
- May 19, 2018 - USD $ 16.46
- "Good luck!" - Anthony Hibbs
- May 19, 2018 - USD $ 15.65
- "Good luck" - James Schofield
- May 19, 2018 - USD $ 28.81
- "Good luck to you and Mum. Really impressive." - Anthony and Andrea Williams
- May 18, 2018 - R 514.10
- "Ross, wonderful cause and the very best of luck with it." - Richard & Julie Greed
- May 18, 2018 - USD $ 27.78
- "Ross you are a nutter. Good luck and great effort for a great cause. " - Luke
- May 18, 2018 - R 352.98
- "Good luck Ross" - Chris Ronaldson
- May 18, 2018 - R 514.10
- "Absolutely amazing!!! " - Deanne
- May 16, 2018 - USD $ 25.13
- "I do not envy you mate! Good luck and go well!" - Wingo
- May 16, 2018 - USD $ 42.56
- "Wishing you well on your extreme Ironman challenge Mell (Mrs D)" - Mell Devlin
- May 16, 2018 - USD $ 83.77
- "Best of luck from all of us ! Hector, Caroline, Alex Edward and Arthur " - Sants family
- May 16, 2018 - R 1 000.00
- "Amazing commitment Ross. Well done. Best wishes from the Beck Family." - Beck Family
- May 15, 2018 - USD $ 42.68
- "love from tweets x you are amazing!" - hazel
- May 15, 2018 - USD $ 85.36
- "Good luck Ross. Hope the weather is better than on the Thames at Easter" - The Rawlinson family
- May 14, 2018 - R 514.10
- "Give it horns Ross and hope you reach your fundraising target." - Darren Nunes
- May 14, 2018 - R 102.82
- "Good Luck " - Anonymous
Nemato Change a Life
SUCCESS IN LIFE - FOR YOUTH, BY YOUTH. Nemato Change a Life is an empowerment organisation for disadvantaged township youth. It's run by its beneficiaries and helps the members to get the mindset, skills, knowledge and support to become successful in life. The programme includes daily homework classes, sport (rowing, gymnastics, handball and fencing), President's Award, career counselling and much more. We try to assist each individual member to find a way to a bright future.