Djumma Must Hear!
- By: Jessica Prinsloo
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/jarryd-djumma-smith
Djumma UPDATE: we are so grateful to everyone from far and wide that jumped in boots and all to help us. Help on many levels was offered and every message, thought, and contribution is so appreciated! Thankfully Jarryd did not need anesthetic, what he did need was his ‘support club’ ie: Dad and Chadd, a very kind, encouraging and patient doctor and the correct equipment. Dr Rosie Carey managed to clear Jarryd’s ears out completely, it took time and numerous flushes, but we got it done!
I cannot tell you how grateful I am to Jess (Jessica Prinsloo) for starting a Back-a-buddy fund for Djumma as through the simple awareness of it has resulted in us finding solutions! It has been 3 years of searching from doctor to doctor to finally find Dr Carey, who is right here in Ballito!
Unfortunately, Djumma is almost totally deaf in his right ear, and the blockage in the left ear seemed to be impeding his hearing. Now that they are both clear, it doesn’t seem that his hearing has improved much, but I am hoping it will improve, as there was some infection or sensitive skin, maybe when that heals his hearing will too.
The road with Jarryd is never-ending and our need to do more and more for him is ever-expanding. He needs so much more than we are capable of providing – every cent donated will be used to improve his health and wellbeing, and ultimately also ripple out to benefit other young special needs kiddies that are part of our lives.
I intend buying equipment which does alternative healing, which will be a massive help to Jarryd as his immunity is naturally very low. He also has a condition in his left ear which causes the ear not to exfoliate properly – hence the skin that builds up in the ear canal. This is very bad as the skin can cause the bones in his ears to dissolve …… as I said it's not a short road and the solutions are not always obvious, but we are confident that we are on the right path.
THANK YOU ALL XXX
Recently Heidi Lee Smith received some terribly sad news; her medical aid would not be covering her son, Jarryd’s, procedure. If you don’t already know Jarryd, let me introduce you.
Jarryd Djumma Smith is a wonderful young man. He loves animals (with a special affection for chickens), art and nature. Jarryd happens to have Down Syndrome, which is a condition that comes with many challenges. In this instance, he requires a procedure to remove excess earwax build-up to help him hear. Although this seems like a straightforward procedure, Down Syndrome causes narrow ear canals. Added to this, having a stranger in a lab coat sticking sharp instruments into one’s head holes is not all that appealing to Jarryd, so sitting still during the procedure is not an option for him.
This means that he requires one of two options:
1. Anaesthetic. This comes with its own set of risks.
2. Travel to Gauteng to a doctor who understands his fear and is willing to take the time to keep him calm and relaxed.
Obviously both of these options are costly, which is where I need your help.
Heidi has spent her whole life selflessly helping others and asking nothing in return. She saves the planet daily, whether it’s cleaning up plastic or educating the rest of us on climate change. She would never in a million years ask for help, so I am.
I know we all have our own struggles, but we have the power to make a huge difference in Jarryd and his family’s life. So please take a moment to donate a few rand to give this incredible young man the chance to hear the waves splashing on the shore.
Reaching my target will mean that Jarryd will be able to hear so much better and his mom will receive the relief that she so deserves!
Funds raised will be used to cover:
Hospital admission & procedure: R30,000
Bioflex Lazer Light therapy
Quantum scio treatment machine R35,000
Each treatment costs R600, but buying a machine would be able to help Jarryd AND treat other special needs kids in the area.
Please follow his progress here.
- Nov 06, 2019 - USD $ 1 000.00
- "Love u Djuma!!!" - Family
- Nov 06, 2019 - USD $ 500.00
- "I hope this helps" - A friend you haven't met
- Nov 05, 2019 - R 507.50
- "You touch all of our lives with your beautiful spirit Djumie. " - Sinead & Farhad
- Nov 04, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Thank you for being such an inspirational young man Jarryd!" - Daniël Otto
- Nov 04, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Heidi "Nzima" Smith (as we call her at home) assisted my Dad, Sam Nzima, with various projects towards his foundation. You've been such a blessing to my parents Heidi! Djumma WILL hear!!!" - Zekhaya Nzima
- Oct 21, 2019 - R 203.00
- "For djumma " - Anonymous
- Oct 21, 2019 - R 50.00
- "??" - Anonymous
- Oct 17, 2019 - R 110.00
- "A friend from White River " - Anonymous
- Oct 16, 2019 - USD $ 67.15
- "With much love to the whole Smith family " - Anonymous
- Oct 15, 2019 - R 51.41
- "With much love and blessings" - Karen Moran
- Oct 15, 2019 - R 110.00
- "With much love, I wish I had the whole amount to donate!" - A Djumma Fan
- Oct 15, 2019 - USD $ 33.80
- "Thinking of you and hope it all goes well" - Someone who cares
- Oct 15, 2019 - USD $ 600.00
- "Absolutely LOVE this boy! His zest for life and his mother’s passion to always better his life and spur him to greater heights is an incredible inspiration to all who know them. " - Coert & Zanne
- Oct 14, 2019 - R 203.00
- "All the best for a speedy hearing recovery. Lots of love to all of you." - Anonymous
- Oct 14, 2019 - R 110.00
- "For Djummie Smith " - Anonymous
- Oct 13, 2019 - R 1 000.00
- "Love you guys all" - The vans
- Oct 13, 2019 - R 514.10
- "No limits you awesome boy !! " - Knoetze’s
- Oct 13, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Djumma! Love you sweet boy, all the best - Cliff & Karrn" - Cliff
- Oct 13, 2019 - R 507.50
- "Sorry we cant donate much, Heidi was kind to publish my little girl's story and fundraiser for her heart opp coming in November, this is our little thank you xx " - Diana Becker
- Oct 13, 2019 - USD $ 199.87
- "You deserve the best ??" - Ashlee
- Oct 13, 2019 - R 507.50
- "A privilege to be part of this...may you keep hearing the song of goodness and love your mom sings in her heart! " - Anonymous