Back a Woman for Self Defense
- By: Jess Mouneimne
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/jess-mouneimne
My Name is Jess Mouneimne and I am passionate about helping women reclaim their power and feel safe. I do this by running self-defense courses at the gym I co-own with my husband, Pride Fighting Academy.
I have been training combat sports for a decade and I am a competitive fighter. I am also a survivor of rape and assault. Training combat sports and learning how to defend myself has been a huge factor in my healing.
We have been doing these courses for many years and feel compelled to widen our reach given the current state of fear that women are living in.
A guy who trains at our gym, Seth, reached out yesterday asking to sponsor a woman on our next self-defense course as a way for him to help stand against the violent onslaught against women.
This made me want to not only spread the word as a way for men to get involved but also use this as a way to offer the course to a few Grade 11 & 12 girls and teachers from Cape Town High, Harold Cressy High School and Gardens Commercial, who may not be able to afford our fees.
We launch the new course on 14 September 2019. The 3-month course costs R2500. The fees cover 2 hours a week of training. For every woman sponsored through this page, We will sponsor an extra woman on the course. Further to this, we will be running boxing & mentorship programs at these schools for teen boys. PFA members and coaches will spend time imparting life skills and acting as positive role male role models in these boys lives while imparting boxing knowledge with them in a bid to introduce reframe the concept of masculinity in a positive way.
Any size donation made will help towards funding a woman on this self-defense course. If we raise R25000 it will sponsor 20 women on this 3-month course.
I don't offer these courses for financial gain but I truly want to make a difference in women's lives and I hope this fundraiser can help do that. I also know so many men who want to somehow help and I hope this offers a way to get involved.
*Funds raised will be paid directly to Pride Fighting Academy*
- Oct 26, 2019 - USD $ 126.24
- "This is an amazing initiative- well done. " - Anonymous
- Oct 22, 2019 - R 200.00
- "All the best with this important initiative, much respect to you!" - Sara Sophie
- Oct 09, 2019 - R 500.00
- "Thank you" - CapeSoft Software
- Sep 27, 2019 - USD $ 35.08
- "Amazing work guys!" - Lakshmi
- Sep 26, 2019 - R 514.10
- "This is a great intiative that I'm proud and happy to donate to!" - Anonymous
- Sep 09, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "Well done guys! <3 " - Paulina
- Sep 07, 2019 - R 2 570.50
- "So proud of you Jess and Mike. " - Shirley Bruwer
- Sep 07, 2019 - R 2 570.50
- "Thank you to PFA for doing this!!" - Tom, Maria & Benjamin
- Sep 07, 2019 - R 514.10
- "A great cause " - Carole Abramovitz
- Sep 07, 2019 - USD $ 67.78
- "Well done Jess for creating this platform" - Bernhard Suchland
- Sep 06, 2019 - R 2 510.00
- "Hi - would like to sponsor a student from Gardens Commercial. Thanks" - Jennifer Visser
- Sep 06, 2019 - R 300.00
- "Hassan" - Hassan
- Sep 06, 2019 - USD $ 14.16
- "Very cool Jess!" - Nina
- Sep 05, 2019 - R 500.00
- "Brilliant initiative. Glad you be able to contribute towards empowering women. " - Sally
- Sep 05, 2019 - R 203.00
- "Amazing initiative - glad that I am in a position to contribute! Wishing you every success" - Kirst
- Sep 05, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Good work Jess and PFA!" - Shaun
- Sep 05, 2019 - R 210.00
- "Amazing initiative!" - Janine
- Sep 04, 2019 - USD $ 34.77
- "What a great initiative! " - Tanya
- Sep 04, 2019 - R 514.10
- "I think martial arts and mentorship within a program can help troubled young men in a profound way, and would do a lot to solve the current crisis of violence. " - Milton Schorr
- Sep 04, 2019 - R 500.00
- "Great initiative " - Scott
- Sep 04, 2019 - R 2 570.50
- "Let’s all get behind this vital and incredible cause." - Rory