Jo Med School Fundraiser
- By: Jo Rust
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/jo-rust-5469930796311664335
- Date Created: 16 December 2022
R 35 524
R 550 000
Do you have a childhood dream that you just never got to chase after and accomplish? That one that got away. I don't believe it's ever too late.
We’re taught that you need to complete certain achievements at certain stages of your life. Though there are many examples of world-renowned names and brands that reached success a lot later in life.
My name is Jo Rust. I live in Johannesburg, South Africa and I was born a dreamer of big dreams. I was also born a girl with an unquenchable thirst for knowledge, a scientist, and a healer. I was also born Autistic, which I only found out recently.
I've suffered from mental health struggles my whole life. Mostly due to the environment, I grew up in. I have experienced a lot of trauma and abuse from a very young age and it has affected me in every part of my life.
Even so, I've never stopped going after my ridiculously big dreams.
In 2013 I set the world record as the first woman in history to have ridden around the entire African continent on a motorcycle, solo. I traveled 45 000 kilometers through 28 countries over one year.
In 2014 I became a global brand ambassador for BMW Motorrad in Germany.
In 2019 I wrote and published my own book on my journey around Africa.
In 2021 I became a member of the Mensa High IQ Society.
In 2022 I gained entry into studying for a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
Now, at the age of 39, I've dusted off my lifelong dream of becoming a doctor and am on a path that will allow me to enter 3rd year of medical school at Wits University in 2026.
They have an amazing program that allows anyone with a Bachelor of Arts, and the fulfillment of a number of prerequisites to complete a medical degree in just 4 years by entering 3rd year of the medical program. It’s called the GEMP, which stands for the Graduate Entry Medical Program.
I’ve overcome my first hurdle in being accepted to study for a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology at the University of South Africa. In parallel, I need to complete a number of modules in Chemistry, Physics, and Biology over the next three years.
I didn’t anticipate that I’d need to pay for study fees this late in life. Truth is, I’m ‘too old’ to qualify for bursaries. Which is ridiculous in my opinion.
So I need your help. I need to raise over R550 000 ($31 000) over the next 3 years.
The first $2000 I need to raise by the end of January 2023. I’m raising money by way of doing freelance work online and through traditional crowdfunding means.
I've created a number of freelance projects on my Upwork profile, and ask that if you're not able to donate that you please share my freelance profile and this campaign link. You never know, the next person might be able to help.
10% of whatever I raise, I give back by way of contributing toward the study fees of other students.
I have always had ridiculously big dreams. Historically I have also always achieved whatever I set out to do. This might be the most challenging dream I’ve gone after to date in my life, but with your help I know I can do it – and ultimately pay it forward by helping others on their healing journey as a specialist psychiatrist. There are currently less than 2 psychiatrists for every 100 000 people in South Africa, according to the WHO.
I hope to add myself as one more, with your help.
Thank you so much for your care and support!
- Jul 31, 2023 - USD $ 108.05 Fees covered
- "Slay." - Anonymous
- Apr 04, 2023 - USD $ 216.10 Fees covered
- "Hope this helps." - Dannyd77
- Feb 08, 2023 - R 350.00 Fees covered
- "Happy birthday my friend! Love you xxx " - Nicole
- Jan 01, 2023 - USD $ 31.73 Fees covered
- "Happy New Year and best of luck!!!" - Rob Pasqual
- Dec 31, 2022 - USD $ 323.71 Fees covered
- "Wishing you all the best in your pursuit of your dreams Jo!" - Steeve
- Dec 29, 2022 - USD $ 63.17 Fees covered
- "you rock gal - you'll do it. You did it." - Sabine & Hpe
- Dec 29, 2022 - USD $ 31.58 Fees covered
- "Good luck Jo!" - Kevin
- Dec 29, 2022 - USD $ 58.46
- "Wishing you a lot of luck with the fundraiser. I hope you can get all the funds you need to achieve your dreams. Very proud of you going to Med School!" - Marta Carrasco
- Dec 29, 2022 - USD $ 631.68 Fees covered
- "Good Luck Jo. I hope this helps?" - Rob Haycox
- Dec 29, 2022 - USD $ 54.03 Fees covered
- "Good luck in medical school. You are an inspiration." - Madeleine Missrider Velazquez
- Dec 20, 2022 - USD $ 39.63 Fees covered
- "All the best… you got this girl! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" - Anne
- Dec 20, 2022 - USD $ 108.58 Fees covered
- "Super excited for you, Jo!" - Barb Arena crandall
- Dec 19, 2022 - USD $ 56.58
- "Good luck Jo.... and may this dream become your reality" - Cindy