- By: Joe Kanyona
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/joes-legacy
One year of from a senseless tragedy that took a life of Beerhouse Doorman, father and friend Joe Kanyona, a sensitive and caring soul, we remember him and look forward to helping create and safeguard his legacy. Joe died while on duty protecting us as he always did. We are committed to looking after his legacy through his young daughter.
In remembering Joe, we are delighted to announce that his daughter has recently been awarded a full scholarship by the L'école Française du Cap, Cape Town French School. This extraordinary donation covers her tuition at the private school from Pre-school to Matric (Baccalaureate) and is an effort led by the French School teachers and Beerhouse owner Randolf Jorberg.
She was 4 months old when Joe passed and will never know her father but thanks to the kindness and resolve of our community she will feel his kindness through this legacy project.
Beerhouse has committed to continue its support for her and in remembrance of Joe and the one year anniversary of his passing we will be holding fundraising events over the week 20th June to 27th June. All the proceeds will go towards his young daughter’s educational expenses besides the school tuition donated. We aim to cover all other costs so that she can grow and flourish and continue Joe’s legacy.
As a reminder of other fundraising efforts:
- Joe's legacy Fundraiser - Beerhouse will donate all the revenues of the anniversary day, Monday the 20th without any deductions for stock or operating cost to the Joe’s Legacy Fund. We ask our patrons to drink our taps dry!
- Meet The Brewers with Innis & Gunn on Monday - all ticket sales are donated.
- The rest of the week, (21st June to 27th June), Beerhouse will offer a ‘Pint for a Purpose’ tap. They will tap beer sponsored by Drifter, Atlantic Storm, Jack Black and Apollo breweries who have donated kegs of beer to the cause. Breweries, that want to donate their beers for this purpose are asked to contact Beerhouse as soon as possible. All proceeds from the sale of these beers will go towards Joe’s Legacy Project fund too!
These are the cash donations we did receive as part of the Joe's legacy Fundraiser here on BackaBuddy:
- Sep 10, 2017 - USD $ 52.60
- "All the best for the little one!" - Jochen
- Sep 04, 2017 - USD $ 32.48
- "All the best!" - Michael Gemeiner
- Jun 15, 2017 - USD $ 19.81
- "wenn jeder nur ein bisschen" - Borris
- Jul 05, 2016 - R 110.00
- ".." - leo
- Jun 20, 2016 - USD $ 59.46
- "Cheers" - Pelle
- Jun 20, 2016 - USD $ 35.24
- "Hope it helps a bit... Still sad... Wishing you all the best though!" - Stephan
- Jun 20, 2016 - R 308.46
- "Such a good cause for a great guy part of the Beerhouse family" - Tiaan S.
- Jun 17, 2016 - USD $ 117.79
- "Grüße von den http://www.seychellen.com alles Gute für Joe´s Tochter & Familie. Danke Randolf." - Karl & Cüneyt
- Jun 16, 2016 - USD $ 23.72
- "-" - Martin
- Jun 15, 2016 - R 441.27
- "Hope this helps Joe's family and all the best for his wife and daughter!" - Michael G.
- Jun 15, 2016 - R 205.64
- "Thank you to everyone involved in supporting this cause" - Torsten Lueddecke
- Jun 15, 2016 - USD $ 34.48
- "Thank you for this campaign!" - The Dude
- Jun 15, 2016 - USD $ 11.22
- "wenn jeder nur ein bisschen..." - Anonymus
- Jun 15, 2016 - R 175.99
- "-" - Anonymous
- Jun 15, 2016 - R 555.00
- "You're setting an example for others!" - A friend of Beerhouse
In Memory of Joe
On the 20/06/2015 at 10:38 pm Joe Louis Kazadi Kanyona - 32 - Congolese (DRC), who was employed as a Doorman at Beerhouse On Long, was stabbed by unknown attackers standing in front of Beerhouse on Long. After being attended by doctors who were patronizing Beerhouse and paramedics, Kanyona tragically passed away.