Relief For Joy And Her Family
- By: Kurt Vermaak
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/joys-family
We are a family struggling to come to terms with circumstances of our beloved family members
Our dear mother Joy - A kind and gentle soul, who has always put the needs of others before her own.
Joy is such an incredibly brave lady, who has lived a very hard life and at the age of 82 years, she suffers from Macular Degeneration (failing eyesight), hard of hearing (deafness), and also most the other ailments that accompany old age like high blood pressure, osteoporosis and painful arthritis.
Despite her own health issues she selflessly still undertakes the daily care of two invalids - although every day is a huge challenge and struggle, both physically and emotionally draining on her !!!
Our brother - Ricky is only 46 years old
Ricky was first diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis at the age of 30 and he has deteriorated to secondary progressive MS Ricky has reached the stage where he is totally incapacitated, either wheelchair or bed-bound.
He was under observation by Tygerberg & Hottentots Holland Hospital, but many follow up visits have proved that they have given up on him, so he's visits are purely for monitoring purposes and we've been told that they can do nothing for him !!!.
As Ricky has adverse reaction to all the clinical medication, so we are trying to treat and make him as comfortable as possible with natural remedies that are very expensive and not supplied by TBH & HH hospitals.
Sadly, Ricky is now at the stage where he requires bathing, frequent daily diaper changes and to be fed by hand.
He has been hospitalised twice recently because of two choking attacks, one of the advanced symptoms of the disease.
Our father - Pieter is 77 years old
Another tragic story of a cancer survivor that after much surgery has lost his pallet, so he can no longer speak. Aside from the constant pain he still suffers there are other complications of food and how and what he is able to eat without choking. Pieter suffers from high blood pressure and has also recently suffered two strokes that have left him partially paralysed and blind in the one eye. Although, he is a lot easier to handle he also requires constant care and companionship.
Although we have had wonderful support from Masandani and Hospice, there this still a huge void of constant daily care, encouragement and support they all require.
The primary 24/7 care of both invalids is extremely taxing on Joy's already fragile body and she no longer has the strength to perform diaper changes or helping them into bed, preparing their meals and she is continually exhausted and stressed with worries of how to make ends meet every month when trying to survive on small government old-age pensions that hardly cover their monthly existence, medication let alone living expenses.
As a family, we each do our best to support them as far a possible. Tracey, a single mother who works all day in Cape Town, has opened her heart and kindly taken them under her roof, but this too is not without its problems.
Both Rick and Pieter are stationed in front of the TV for the majority of the days when not in bed. Ricky especially, really requires some personal interaction and stimulation, a little encouragement to exercise his failing limbs, someone to talk to, or someone just to take him outdoors - Mom does try but she is so overwhelmed with trying to cope with all her daily responsibility and the wheelchair has become too heavy for her to handle.
In a world that is difficult enough for any of us to survive, it is a heart-breaking to look at Joy, Pieter and Rick who are now reduced to a financial standing and circumstances so beyond their control because they never prepared for their old age and hard times - An all together a sad state of affairs for the aged to now go through all this unnecessary stress at this late stage of their lives.
In order to restore some kind of normality to their already turbulent lives whatever support you can find it in your hearts to offer, even your time, it would be greatly appreciated. Our family needs an in-home carer for Ricky and Pieter as well as hospital beds to make taking care of them easier. This is on top of the daily costs of nappies and laundry which needs to be done on a daily basis.
- May 16, 2020 - USD $ 50.39
- "God bless" - Craig Peyper
- May 15, 2020 - USD $ 112.93
- "Dearest Fred, sending much love to you and your family. Lisa (Storbeck)" - Lisa
- May 14, 2020 - USD $ 86.39
- "In my thoughts and prayers. Love Kerry x" - Kerry Farrell Eladi
- May 14, 2020 - R 1 050.00
- "God bless your family. " - Robyn Melville
- May 14, 2020 - R 1 000.00
- "Fred my friend I think of you often, and cherish our special memories growing up together. Joy and Tracey you are amazing for all that you do. Lots of love Cindy " - Cindy and Guy Welgemoed
- May 14, 2020 - R 1 050.00
- "Thinking of you brother Fred. Thank you Joy and Tracey for always being there for Fred. Lots of love - The Groenewald Families" - Grant & Alwyn Groenewald
- May 12, 2020 - USD $ 143.02
- "Freddie- so many memories as kids! Stay strong!!!" - Sam Hamilton
- May 11, 2020 - USD $ 50.00
- "Hey Fred, stay strong my friend. God bless " - Andy Jooste
- May 11, 2020 - R 4 000.00
- "Hey Rick 29 years ago to the day I enjoyed your company at our wedding. Feels like yesterday. Love you brother." - JEFF ELLIS
- May 11, 2020 - R 1 000.00
- "Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family Ricky. Big love brother!The Mullers" - David Muller
- May 11, 2020 - USD $ 105.50
- "Joy, thank you for taking care of our brother Rick. God bless you. " - Joe White
- Feb 18, 2020 - R 1 028.20
- "God Bless you" - Midgley Family
- Feb 18, 2020 - USD $ 35.16
- "Really hope this family gets the support they so desperately need. " - Vanessa Lynn
- Feb 17, 2020 - USD $ 14.16
- "Here’s hoping Joy and her family get the help they need xx" - Lynn Weston
- Dec 20, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "Thinking of you all. Much love. Rob & Elaine" - Rob & Elaine
- Dec 19, 2019 - USD $ 41.10
- "You’re in my prayers Freddy!" - Rob
- Dec 13, 2019 - USD $ 144.96
- "Thinking of u mate - Deon and Cantale " - Deon Paoliello
- Dec 13, 2019 - USD $ 287.08
- "Hi Freddy wish you the best" - Pat
- Dec 13, 2019 - USD $ 358.85
- "Frikkles my friend. Stay strong from your buddy in Australia" - Donovan
- Dec 09, 2019 - R 510.00
Joy, traveling this road with you one day at a time" - Carol Vermaak
- Dec 05, 2019 - R 2 010.00
Fred you are like a son to me and your Dad is a great man you are both in my prayers" - Tony Jacob
- Oct 21, 2019 - R 308.46
- "friends helping friends xxx" - shirley oosthuizen
- Oct 07, 2019 - R 1 010.00
- "Joy may your life become a Joy" - Kurt
- Oct 05, 2019 - USD $ 100.01
- "Wishing you the best" - Michele Baena
- Oct 05, 2019 - R 205.64
- ""May clouds come floating into your life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add colour to your sunset sky"" - Anonymous
Joy's Family Medical Cause
Joy is 83 and lives in a three-bedroom apartment with her daughter, granddaughter, son and husband. Joy's husband has cancer, has had a stroke, very hard at hearing, blind in one eye and the other eye is not too good. Her son is in his 40's has MS and is confined to bed or a wheelchair. I would like to raise money to help Joy hire a carer for her husband and son.