Julia - Cycling for Change 2019
- By: Julia Monroe
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/julia-cycling-for-change-2019
In August, I attended a #WomenOnBikes event co-hosted by TSiBA Education, Open Streets, the Bicycling Empowerment Network, Pedal Power Association and Bicycle South. The event aimed at encouraging a more conducive environment for women to cycle in the city and included inspiring speakers, bike maintenance tips and a group cycle. While I have been doing short cycling commutes within the city centre since early this year, it was this event that motivated me to buy a beat-up bicycle and begin to change the way I move in the city.
I have since begun to join Open Streets’ ‘bike buses’, cycling to work in a group alonga set route. This initiative is part of Open Streets’ Bike2Work campaign to encourage safe, low-carbon transport and is voluntarily supported by TSiBA students who marshal these rides to ensure they are safe for all.
Through cycling, I have had the opportunity to meet people from diverse backgrounds and have been overwhelmed by the generosity of spirit, openness and kindness I have experienced. I believe that commuter cycling offers the potential to democratise city streets and that developing a culture of commuter cycling in Cape Town could present opportunities for greater social cohesion, a greater feeling of connectedness to the city, communities and people around us, healthier citizens, cleaner air and a healthier planet overall.
Meeting some of the TSiBA students has also encouraged me to learn about TSiBA Education – a not-for-profit tertiary business school which enables bright young South Africans from under-served communities to study towards a Bachelor of Business Administration, with a focus on entrepreneurship, innovation and leadership.
It will be a privilege to cycle with the Team TSiBA for the 2019 Cape Town Argus Cycle Tour. Please support me as we ‘Cycle for Change’ and raise funds so that future South African entrepreneurs and leaders can have the opportunity to acquire a tertiary education.
- Mar 09, 2019 - USD $ 16.03
- "Good luck tomorrow Julia ?" - Fangirl
- Mar 09, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Think of the ice cream! " - Paul
- Mar 09, 2019 - R 101.50
- "Love and strength Jules!" - Corrine
- Feb 26, 2019 - USD $ 45.64
- "Well done, Julia...next year the Tour de France!!!" - Howie
- Feb 26, 2019 - R 102.82
- "Keep on riding, and keep on inspiring others to do the same!" - Stephen D
- Feb 25, 2019 - USD $ 15.09
- "Go Julia! Cape to Cairo next!" - Rowan
- Feb 25, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Go cycling buddy go!" - Stef
- Feb 25, 2019 - R 205.64
- "All the best!" - Marié Jansen
- Feb 24, 2019 - R 102.82
- "All the best of luck in this project, Julia!" - Gustavo Puerari
- Feb 11, 2019 - R 205.64
- "You go guuuuurl!" - James
- Feb 10, 2019 - R 100.00
- "Chocolate brownies for energy, one every 20km..." - Michael
- Feb 06, 2019 - R 100.00
- "Great idea!" - Nr1JuliaFan
- Feb 06, 2019 - R 200.00
- "Good luck you amazing hoooman! " - Monique
TSIBA Business School
TSIBA is a unique social enterprise collective that provides future-focused business education to ambitious and highly energised individuals and emerging businesses. Including an accredited Business School, an Ignition Academy, and an Education Trust the TSIBA collective stands out as a trailblazer in an ever-changing business education landscape.