Just Breathe Marine
- By: Peter Moore
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/just-breathe-marine
I have severe COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.) My lung function currently ranges between 18% and 24%.
24 years ago I ran into a room to close a Chlorine Gas cylinder that had been inadvertently opened. I did this so that the children in a play area could be timeously evacuated from the creche, which thankfully happened without any harm to any child.
At that time, being super fit, my intention was to hold my breathe for the duration of time it would take me to run into the room, close the cylinder and get out. Unfortunately I could not hold my breath long enough and as a result my lungs got burnt by the chlorine gas.
About 8 years ago, I started feeling breathless without much effort... within two years I had been diagnosed with severe COPD and have had many months in hospital, beem medically boarded as I couldn't work any more, and was on oxygen 24/7.
I urgently needed a Bi- lateral lung transplant, but due to being so inactive and on so much medication, I was too over weight to be listed for a transplant.
I have worked very hard to do the impossible like the River mile swim while on oxygen to raise awareness for Organ donors, I have pushed my body to the limit and lost 32 kg. I want to now raise funds to go onto Discovery Health medical aid as they do approve Bi Lateral lung transplants.
- Jul 10, 2018 - R 500.00
- "Hi Peter, you are showing us how to be brave no matter what. I wish you well on your journey and thank you for also helping others along the way." - Nina
- Jul 10, 2018 - USD $ 94.19
- "Well done Peter, we are all so proud of you. "Kindness you invest in others, will make it's way back to you.."" - Madelaine Strydom Harmse
- Jul 09, 2018 - USD $ 78.16
- "From our hearts to yours dear friend ??" - Karen
- Jun 28, 2018 - R 500.00
- "Saw you swim the Sundays River Mile. Respect brother." - Anonymous