Keep Mr T in a Shelter
- By: David Blakey
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/keep-mr-t-in-a-shelter
FUND MR T'S STAY AT REDEEMING HOPE
'Mr T' is a 45-year-old Burundi national who lost his leg, parents and sister as a 9-year-old during conflict. He eventually fled war-torn Burundi as a refugee and came to SA. He has been trying in vain to find work for many years.
The previous charity, who up until 2 months ago had been paying his rent and giving him monthly food parcels, stopped paying rent due to new organisational policies and criteria.
Sadly, we heard that he had since been sleeping on the streets. On his first night, he was robbed of his clothes and blankets.
Through one of our favourite charities, Afrika Awake, we paid for him to move to a shelter for disabled refugees (Redeeming Hope for the Disabled) – a charity that we support and trust – and he is doing much better. However, that cost is R1000 per month (USD 75), and that excludes money for him to purchase anything.
ABOUT THE FUNDRAISER
It's my (Dave Blakey’s) birthday coming up on the 28th of June, and what would make me happiest is if we could band together to support Mr T for as long as possible! Rather than buying me a gift – or even if you weren't planning on it ;) – let’s put some money together to help a good cause!
I set the goal at R1500 * 11 – for 11 months of shelter (as we have paid the first). This will help Mr T get back on his feet and help Afrika Awake (who is currently trying to support him) cover the costs.
Anything we can collect will be amazing and ensure he stays safe! Donations of ANY size would be so appreciated!
And if you know of any potential jobs for Mr T in Johannesburg/Lenasia, PLEASE contact me!
These are both amazing charities, please feel free to research them or help them directly!
Afrika Awake: https://www.facebook.com/afrikaawake2/
Redeeming Hope for the Disabled: https://www.facebook.com/redeeminghopeforthedisabled/
- Jul 26, 2018 - R 308.46
- "Let’s all help one another" - Citizen
- Jun 28, 2018 - USD $ 37.98
- "Happy birthday Dave. Thankful to call you a friend. You’re a good soul! " - Candy and Aaron
- Jun 28, 2018 - R 500.00
- "Happy birthday to the best son-in-law!!" - Arl
- Jun 28, 2018 - R 1 542.30
- "Happy Birthday bud. You guys really are awesome how you help others. " - Hart Investment Group
- Jun 26, 2018 - R 822.56
- "Happy Birthday!" - Ross
- Jun 18, 2018 - USD $ 39.19
- "Excellent birthday idea! Have an amazing one!" - Anonymous
- Jun 18, 2018 - R 1 542.30
- "Early happy birthday bro! Another awesome idea to try make the world just a little better. Mr T really deserves a chance. Keep spreading kindness in the new year! " - Stace