Kelvin’s transforming ECD this Mandela Day
- By: Kelvin Chinyamutangira
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/kelvins-transforming-ecd-this-mandela-d
This Mandela Day I'm raising funds to make a tangible impact on Early Childhood Development, changing the trajectory of our children’s lives.
• Less than half of children aged 3-6 years have access to a preschool in South Africa. This is reflected in Lavender Hill, an area plagued by gang warfare and drugs, and where children are at risk every time they play in front of their homes or walk in the street.
• Out of 30 Early Childhood Development centres in Lavender Hill, only 6 are registered, meeting the minimum standard of childcare required by authorities.
• We live in a country where international assessments such as the PIRLS reflect that 8 out of 10 children can’t read for meaning by the time they reach Grade 4. This problem is compounded by the significant psycho-social ills that our children experience every day.
• In Lavender Hill, 82% of people over 20 years old never completed Matric, making it almost impossible for them to further their education or find employment.
International research shows that quality early childhood development, providing a safe space, the right kind of stimulation, supported by a caring adult, can change a child’s trajectory. It can help them to learn better. It can change attitudes and behaviour.
It can open up opportunities for a better future. I'm helping Learning in Reach bring 30 ECD centres to minimum standards of health and safety and teacher training requirements.
Will you help too? Donate R67, sign up as a champion for Learning in Reach on 67give.org and invite 10 of your friends to do the same.
- Jul 24, 2018 - R 100.00
- "Well done buddy for beating your target. Never under-estimate yourself like this again" - Mukoma Tij
- Jul 19, 2018 - R 100.00
- "Huha " - Nigel
- Jul 19, 2018 - R 79.00
- "Let’s do this!" - Perpetua
- Jul 19, 2018 - R 67.00
- "Great initiative!" - Brian
- Jul 18, 2018 - R 500.00
- "Good cause! All the best with the fundraising l!" - Kennedy
Learning In Reach
Learning in Reach has created a blueprint for a holistic early learning and pre-primary education that fosters community enterprise and parental engagement. ‘It takes a village to raise a child’ and we cannot disrupt the Early Childhood Development (ECD) process without addressing all the supporting structures, the main one being the child’s parents and teachers, as role models and leaders of these young children.