Big Cat Experiences
- By: Kerry Kleynhans
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/kerry-kleynhans
My name is Kerry Kleynhans and am raising funds for Big Cat Experiences Pty (Ltd.) which I manage.
The Big Cat Experiences story started in 1966 in Beitbridge, Southern Rhodesia. Political instability in the region had led to fighting, and in one case, a nearby firefight had set fire to the bush. A game ranger named, Don Stot, rescued a casualty of the war - a week-old lion cub that had been caught in the fire and lost its mother.
Don took the Lion cub to Ossie and Joyce Bristow (our Great Grandparents) at Bishopstone Estate, who hand-reared the cub to adulthood, unwittingly setting their lives on a path of playing foster parents to an array of other orphaned animals from that day forward, resulting in Joyce and Ossie founding the Lion and Cheetah Park in Zimbabwe, which is now regarded as a national heritage site.
Amid the land claims in the early 2000’s, we were able to relocate some of our animals from Zimbabwe to South Africa, where we pride ourselves in offering our unique experiences and education through interaction where we strive to raise awareness against poaching and fight for conservation .
We are proud to be the fourth generation to be working with and safeguarding our majestic animals.
Please consider donating any spare change during these hard times to ensure the well-being of our animals behind the scenes.
The COVID-19 (Corona Virus) pandemic has led to 80% guest cancellations which has severely affected the income generated to be able to fund the feeding, security and overall well-being of our amazing big cats which we strive to protect and enrich. That is why we are asking for any donations towards staff wages, food, security and veterinarian care in order to continue offering our animals safe haven.
On average, food for our big cats can cost anything in the region of R15 000 per month and staff wages (including full-time security) costs R29 000 per month.
*Funds raised will be paid directly into the relevant institution*
- May 27, 2020 - USD $ 20.06
- "Good luck!! Your cheetahs are breathtaking and will forever hold a very special place in my heart. Thank you guys for allowing me to do hearing conservation research with Savannah and Solo! " - Caitlin
- May 26, 2020 - R 315.00
- "Thank you for looking after these amazing cats!" - Michael Mendes
- May 21, 2020 - USD $ 55.48
- "All the best. " - Lindy
- May 20, 2020 - USD $ 54.85
- "Hope this helps! " - Matti
- May 03, 2020 - USD $ 13.11
- "Sorry to hear about this Kerry xx Hope you reach your target x" - Jess Kleynhans
- May 02, 2020 - USD $ 20.00
- "Wishing we were there now!" - Elizabeth
- Apr 23, 2020 - R 5 250.00
- "Wishing you all the very best" - Anonymous
- Apr 21, 2020 - USD $ 10.67
- "Good luck Kerry! " - Hasie
- Apr 14, 2020 - R 1 012.00
Stay safe" - Idwala 26
- Apr 04, 2020 - USD $ 10.64
- "Hello. I hope you and your family & staff are doing well. I came to see you in January 2019, maybe you remember. I am sorry it is not much, things are as you can imagine difficult at the moment. M" - hazel Sibbald
- Apr 03, 2020 - USD $ 270.26
- "Keep your head up and stay strong!" - Brandon
- Apr 03, 2020 - R 210.00
- "Every cent makes a difference to these animals lives " - Anonymous
- Apr 01, 2020 - USD $ 55.87
- "Thanks for all you do. " - Brendan
- Apr 01, 2020 - USD $ 55.87
- "Thank you for raising awereness on these subjects and taking such good care of these majestic animals!!" - Thank you!