Leandrie (18) Needs Help Fighting Cancer
- By: Chedene Heenop
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/leandrie-heenop
My name is Chedene Heenop, stepmom to beautiful 18yr old and 15yr old girls! The eldest, Leandrie was diagnosed in August 2019 with Metastatic Papillary Carcinoma of the Thyroid.
Thyroid cancer is normally a very slow spreading cancer with a very high survival rate.
In October at the time of her thyroid removal with lymph node dissection - we learnt that it has spread into her lymph, vocal cords, and into her neck.
We then learnt on the 4th of December, that her thyroid cancer is at stage 4 due to its aggressive nature and the rate at which it is spreading.
No medical aids want to cover Leandrie due to the fact that she was born with an under-developed hip (her mom was mugged while pregnant) and it is seen as a congenital problem and she is now too high risk. She has had multiple hip replacement surgeries in her lifetime.
So not being on a medical aid has caused a real problem with her cancer diagnosis and all the medical treatment needed.
She is currently being treated in a government hospital where her thyroid was removed. We have been getting a run-around from the hospital as they refused to start her chemo last year due to the Christmas holiday. There were also no oncologists available over the Christmas period at the hospital. She is also being treated privately if needed, until chemo can go ahead.
We have been given a rough breakdown of the costs involved for private treatment.
- We are looking in the region of R90 000 per treatment of which she will need 8-12.
- Her monthly medications which include a morphine cocktail for pain and boosters etc are now in the region of R4500 - R6500 before her chemo has even started. (the hospital only had her on panado)
She has a lot of pain due to her muscles in her body pulling into spasm as a result of her surgery. She is also slurring so will need to look into speech therapy soon.
Her father and I are also unable to see her (they stay in Brits), due to not having a car, so at this stage - any extra help would be appreciated.
''Across the Globe each year, parents of over 15 000 kids will hear the words “your child has cancer”. Did you know 1 in 408 children under the age of 16 are likely to get cancer? But let’s look on the bright side, the childhood cancer survival rate in S.A. is on the rise, currently around 55%. Together, we can keep pushing that number higher.''
Your impact and support would mean that Leandrie could get the best medical treatment possible to beat this ugly disease and to be comfortable while doing so while we, her family, can be there for her whenever she needs us!
All receipts/invoices/etc will be made available on request.
Please feel free to contact us at any time.
Chedene (+27) 081 344 1865
Jacques (+27) 081 234 1148
**UPDATE: 8 January 2020**
Leandrie was taken to hospital last night... she fell at home, and seems this resulted in a seizure. We have no idea why. The hospital didn't do much, neither did they call oncology because there was no oncology doctor on standby. All they did was drain her bladder. She is in alot of pain. She is back home until her blood tests on the 20th of January and doctors appointment on the 22nd of January.
**UPDATE: 20 February 2020**
Leandrie has been in and out of hospital with seizures and her body's muscles spasming. They are battling to keep her calcium levels under control, and it seems to intefere with other levels in her body. Her calcium levels keep dropping very low, which is dangerous. It's currently high, which doctors say is better than it being low. Still no word on when chemo/radiation, etc is starting. 6 months in. Thank you for all the donations so far. Donations have been covering her monthly meds which has been a huge relief on the family. Thanking you for your continued support.
**UPDATE: 5 March 2020**
Leandrie went to the hospital yesterday for her checkup and to see what the next step is and when treatment is starting. The hospital has to order in a 'liquid of sorts' from Capetown, that they have to inject her with to see how far the cancer has spread. (We have no idea why they haven't already done this). They did tell us that the cancer has spread deep into her lymph nodes though. This is all they could tell us. Next appointment on the 25th of March. Still no treatment plan.
- Mar 05, 2020 - USD $ 65.52
- "Our Lord will give you the strength you need to get through this young lady" - Kirsten Khoury
- Jan 14, 2020 - R 110.00
May our good lord Jesus cover you under his blood and by his stripes you will be healed." - Anonymous
- Jan 10, 2020 - USD $ 70.27
- "I hope this contribution will help in whatever way you need. Wishing you the best and a speedy recovery " - Ashmeer Mahabeer
- Dec 24, 2019 - R 5 141.00
- "God bless you guys" - Conrad & Bernadine Van Staden
- Dec 19, 2019 - R 308.46
- "Praying you get well!! May the Lord be with you and your family now till you healed xxx" - Sherrie Keylock
- Dec 18, 2019 - R 514.10
- "May you be healed in the name of God and may you live to testify about what He has done for you. " - Anonymous
- Dec 18, 2019 - R 510.00
You’re all in my prayers ????" - Barbra
- Dec 18, 2019 - R 1 010.00
Leandrie Sterkte en ons bid dat God jou sal bystaan." - Cobus & Sanet Lourens
- Dec 17, 2019 - R 110.00
you are not alone" - Anonymous
- Dec 17, 2019 - R 510.00
Word gou gesond. Onthou Jesus het jou lief!!!" - Charmaine
- Dec 16, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Thinking of you" - Anonymous
- Dec 16, 2019 - USD $ 72.83
- "God blessings on you. May there be hope and help for you always xx " - Angela Turner
- Dec 15, 2019 - USD $ 20.77
- "?? even the smallest acts done with love can change the world ?? " - Val Liversage
- Dec 15, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Good luck, may God bless you." - Amanda
- Dec 14, 2019 - R 123.38
- "May you make a full and speedy recovery. May God bless and heal you! " - Anonymous
- Dec 14, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Praying for healing baby girl ??" - shivanie ramdoss
- Dec 13, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Stay strong and stay focused, you are not alone facing this challenge. I lost my stepfather due to liver cancer, not easy time. " - Adri Webber
- Dec 12, 2019 - USD $ 14.25
- "And he said to her, “Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace. Your suffering is over.” Mark 5:34 NLT" - Miranda
- Dec 12, 2019 - USD $ 35.63
- "Praying that God heals her and makes her pain free." - Jana Venter
- Dec 12, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Love & well wishes ??????" - Anonymous
- Dec 12, 2019 - R 500.00
- "Hoop my druppel in jul emmer help. We serve a Mighty God. ????????????????????????" - Hettie Rall
- Dec 12, 2019 - USD $ 356.27
- "Take everything to God in prayer. Wishing you a speedy recovery." - Issa Bonkolo
- Dec 12, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Leandrie, you and your family is in our prayers. Praying for a miraculous recovery. " - Louis-John & Christopher
- Dec 12, 2019 - R 5 141.00
- "Keeping you in our prayers." - Cemon Franco Lewis
- Dec 12, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Get well soon ??" - Vivian
- Dec 12, 2019 - R 500.00
Get well soon" - Marietha Redelinghuys
- Dec 11, 2019 - R 1 000.00
- "Get well soon. You are in our prayers. Dos Ramos Family." - Oliver
- Dec 11, 2019 - R 101.75
- "Get well soon" - Cecilia
- Dec 11, 2019 - R 205.64
- "May our Heavenly Father's presence surround you and your family. " - Riana
- Dec 11, 2019 - R 102.82
- "Much love... will do another one soon " - Anonymous
Leandrie Heenop Cancer Cause
My name is Chedene Heenop, stepmom to beautiful 17yr old and 14yr old girls! The eldest, Leandrie was diagnosed in August with Metastatic Papillary Carcinoma of the Thyroid. In October at the time of her thyroid removal with lymph node dissection - we learnt that it has spread into her lymph, vocal cords, and into her neck. We then learnt on the 4th of December, that her thyroid cancer is at stage 4 due to its aggressive nature and the rate at which it is spreading. Please help Leandrie get the treatment she needs.