Leora's Mamelani Movers Challenge
- By: Leora Israel-Hessen
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/leoras-mamelani-movers-challenge
A child that has been living in an children's home or in a state care facility is forced to leave at the age 18. Many of these young people are not ready for this transition and without adequate support, after years of stability, they struggle to stay in school, attend skills training programmes and find meaningful work. Mamelani's programme ensures that they are are supported through this transition and are able to remain focused, motivated and move forward in their lives.
This year I have decided to do my bit for South African youth and take on a challenge! I have become a Mamelani Mover and will be taking part in this years Color Run. Not only will I be splashed with colour while attempting to run 5km, but I will be doing it for a cause!
R4500 allows one young person to complete a paid internship, providing them with the opportunity to gain access to the world of work, technical experience and money management skills. Together the Mamelani Movers Color Run team would like to secure enough funds to allow 5 youth to be a part of this process. So come on and back us on our colour adventure. Together we can make a difference!
About Mamelani Projects Proseed Youth Development Programme:
The programme consists of supporting young people in successfully transitioning out of state care at 18 years of age. Care leavers are said to be one of the most vulnerable groups in society, and without adequate support, after years of care and development, many face poor outcomes in adult life, including homelessness, unemployment and mental health challenges.
Mamelani has developed an approach to working with young people, a process to support them in preparing for and facing life beyond care. The programme runs over 3 years, providing support prior to the transition, as well as continued support after leaving the children's home.
- Oct 29, 2013 - R 300.00
- "Sorry so late, but better late than never.... its for a good cause xxxx" - Gita & jon
- Oct 18, 2013 - R 1 180.00
- "thanks for including us in this amazing event!" - Sophia & Katya Golan
- Oct 18, 2013 - R 200.00
- "Good luck and enjoy.xx" - Robyn
- Oct 15, 2013 - R 300.00
- "Good luck!" - Warren, Janine, Lilla & Seb
- Oct 10, 2013 - R 1 000.00
- "Good luck our brilliant friend - what an inspiration! We are so proud of you! xxx" - Michelle and Michelle
- Oct 10, 2013 - R 200.00
- "Another amazing cause, Good luck!" - Denise Varkel
- Oct 09, 2013 - R 1 000.00
- "Well done & enjoy the run! " - Slots
- Oct 09, 2013 - R 500.00
- "All the best - its a great cause so well done." - Anthony Jackson
- Oct 03, 2013 - R 100.00
- "Brilliant organisation - sad I wont be running - enjoy " - Tammi Glick
- Oct 02, 2013 - R 180.00
- "Thank you for your incredible support - enjoy the colour run!!!!" - Amanda Zar
Mamelani works with people to increase their sense of agency and ability to improve their own lives. We work with young people coming out of state care through our Youth Development Programme and with women through our Health Education Programme.
To set up your own fundraising page for Mamelani Projects click here