Lion 500 Challenge
- By: Kosta Papageorgiou
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/lion-500-challenge
What is the Lion 500?
The Lion 500 Challenge is an effort to hike Lionshead Mountain in Cape Town 500 times by 31 December 2018. One man has been given this task to complete and donors can donate per hike or a lump sum.
Running up mountains for these 5 Charities:
- Rape Crisis
- Animal Rescue (Fallen Angels and African Tails)
- Chipembere Rhino Foundation
- Depression SA
- WSAR (Wilderness Search and Rescue)
Why do I do it?
The hikes up Lionshead are for those who's power was taken from them, or have had lost it during life's events. It is a way to avenge those who suffer in silence, the humans and the animals.
The Lion 500 Challenge is an effort to inspire people from all walks of life to get back to what humans were designed to do. Be a collaobrative part of nature. As a human beings we are meant to take care of eachother, inspire eachother and empower eachother and use this combined strength to do the important thing and take care of other beings around us; humans, animals, plants and the elements which connect us all.
We are not only here to exist, but to fight for and empower humans and animals around us. We need each other. No person is an island. I have dedeicated to do the most simplest thing and reconnect with nature by going up a mountain 500 times. Along this journey I have come across animals, humans, plants and the true miracle of nature which is to bring peace back to the human spirit. To cut through all the materials we have become depended on and learn to trust and depend on eachother.
What an amazing journey this has become...educational and life changing.
I invite you to join me and beome part of the Lion 500 journey.
An Adventure With A Cause
Donors are elgible to join on a hike up Lionshead during any Lion 500 event.
How I chose my Causes:
Rape Crisis is really special to me. It’s simple, I want to avenge those who have been victims and pass on good energy and even if I can pass on a teeny bit of personal empowerment, then I have made a dent. I have been educating myself on how much Rape Crisis Cape Town Trust is doing in the legal world to protect victims.
The South African Depression And Anxiety Group are close to my heart as I have lost a friend, and have friends, and have experienced depression myself. It is the silent killer which we need to talk about and stop looking away from. It’s a serious thing that you do not just snap out of. But what helps is providing a shoulder, a conversation, an exchange of good experiences and understanding.
Chipembere Rhino Foundation, it’s not just about the Rhinos but wildlife in general, IF WE CANNOT SAVE THE RHINO WITH ALL OUR RESOURCES AND INTELLIGENCE, THEN WE HAVE LOST. It’s symbolic of everything sacred and alive in the world. Protecting our environment instead of obsessing over material possessions. Save The Rhino, Save The World.
Fallen Angels Pet Rescue, it’s simple, we are the guardians of the world, the intelligent species and we are relied on by our furry friends to keep them safe, give them love and shelter and in return we get infinite love. There are thousands of dogs and cats who have been abandoned because of humans. Help us find a home for them. I know how difficult this can as Cape Town’s landlords in general make it impossible or costly to keep a loving pet. Fallen Angels do their best to care for and re-home these pets.
Wilderness Search and Rescue, this is an easy one to have close to my heart. Going up a mountain daily I have been part of few Mountain Rescue cases. Helping victims with broken bones, ligaments and other serious injuries down a mountain. This is not an easy process and not cheap either but we have real superheroes who offer their assistance for free to be first to the scene of mountain accidents and searches. They are volunteers but need the right tools and funding for serious rescue missions.
Read about Lion 500 in the News
- May 22, 2018 - R 1 000.00
- "Keep up the great work. I'm a big fan and have nothing but respect for your cause, tenacity and generous spirit. Well done!" - @MrChandlerHouse
- May 15, 2018 - R 250.00
- "SnapScan" - SnapScan
- May 14, 2018 - R 300.00
- "You are such an inspiration! Thank you for all your efforts in raising awareness about the plight of others." - Anusuya
- May 12, 2018 - R 514.10
- "Well done Kostas! The world needs more warriors like you! " - sandra
- May 11, 2018 - R 102.82
- "Inspired by your Adventure bud! Keep going. " - Wild Things Outdoor
- May 08, 2018 - R 359.87
- "For my shirt - looking forward to hiking The Lion with you again soon" - Kenneth Speed
- May 07, 2018 - R 154.23
- "It's people like you who should really be honoured for the challenging efforts you put yourself through to help out those in need. Keep up the good work!" - Wayne Hendrickse
- May 04, 2018 - R 260.00
- "Ask "Why?", and he'll respond, "Because I can." Thank you for sharing a bit of your journey with me, Kosta. And for being my hiking buddy on my first Lion's Head sunrise" - Vanessa
- May 02, 2018 - R 482.42
- "Life is about resistance, we need resistance in order to grow. " - Kiveli
- Apr 27, 2018 - R 102.82
- "Thank you for helping - every bit makes such a difference!" - Wendy De La Harpe
- Apr 27, 2018 - R 102.82
- "To an inspiring man getting others around him to get out more and think about those in need!" - Chloe De La Harpe
- Apr 25, 2018 - R 514.10
- "The world needs more people like you. It may feel too hard to continue the fight some days...but do not give up...you are who the rest of us look to for hope." - Charlene Weiss
- Apr 24, 2018 - R 102.82
- "Strongs brother you're doing an amazing job thusfar, almost half way!" - Roelof Louw
- Apr 22, 2018 - R 205.64
- "I admire your dedication, Kosta! Keep it up! I will join you for many more hikes." - Cathy Hoogenhout
- Apr 20, 2018 - R 205.64
- "Keep up the good work! Looking forward to join you again :)" - Anne Mone Frederiksen
- Apr 19, 2018 - USD $ 52.84
- "Good luck Kosta!" - Julianne Chai
- Apr 18, 2018 - USD $ 83.43
- "Go Kosta! Hear you roar. Awesome causes." - Lindiwe
- Apr 17, 2018 - R 514.10
- "370 to go. " - Kum Mulenga
- Apr 11, 2018 - R 1 028.20
- "Well done on 200 summits " - @Kyleincpt
- Apr 09, 2018 - R 734.86
- "Almost 200 keep going!" - Kiveli
- Apr 01, 2018 - USD $ 44.46
- "i wish i was there buddy to join your hikes :-) " - Dimitris/Mai
- Mar 31, 2018 - USD $ 17.79
- "Looking forward to hiking with you tomorrow " - The Speeds
- Mar 17, 2018 - R 514.10
- "Salute!" - Georgios Michaelides
- Mar 13, 2018 - R 110.00
- "Keep going kosta" - Aretha
- Mar 09, 2018 - R 500.00
- "Why climb Lions ahead any other way #Kosta@lionshead500challenge" - Christopher Heaney
- Feb 27, 2018 - R 510.00
- "Keep it up man! Amazing work :D " - Warryn
- Feb 23, 2018 - R 308.46
- "Happy birthday bro! Keep the legs moving and thanks for setting such a great example!" - Dwayne
- Feb 12, 2018 - R 514.10
- "Nothing short of admirable Kosta! " - Kim G
- Feb 11, 2018 - R 308.46
- "Thanks for an unforgettable experience Kosta and your personal commitment to the community. " - Duncan McMillan
- Feb 10, 2018 - R 5 000.00
- "Nice one Kosta. Keep up the awesome work!" - Anonymous
- Feb 07, 2018 - R 510.00
- "keep inspiring...." - Taahir Osman
- Feb 05, 2018 - R 400.00
- "Well done Kosta! Appreciate you taking care of the mountain and the people you see along the way each day. " - Lauren Medcalf
- Feb 05, 2018 - R 200.00
- "Great idea, keep up the good work" - Julie Scott
- Feb 02, 2018 - USD $ 26.65
- "You are the change that you wish to see in the world!" - Elias Vrohidis
- Feb 02, 2018 - R 102.82
- "Stay Strong :-)" - Mandy Meyer
- Feb 01, 2018 - R 407.74
- "Keep up the good work!" - Kiveli
- Feb 01, 2018 - USD $ 44.42
- "Thanks for all your help on the mountain last night!" - Christina
- Jan 31, 2018 - USD $ 43.33
- "It was a pleasure to hike with you Kosta. Thanks again for your help" - Carol and Donald Borland
- Jan 30, 2018 - USD $ 20.00
- "Keep going Kosta! " - Miriam Mannak
- Jan 18, 2018 - R 514.10
- "Look forward to many a lioning with you this year Kosta" - Katya Soggot
- Jan 12, 2018 - R 1 028.20
- "Great initiative." - YiorgoZ
- Jan 11, 2018 - R 117.21
- "Inspirational! We need more people with your dedication and perseverance and empathy" - Andrew