Lion 500 Challenge
- By: Kosta Papageorgiou
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/lion-500-challenge
CHALLENGE TO THE PUBLIC
Become A Lion
Due to Kosta's heel injury after 352 summits of Lions Head Mountain, the game has changed allowing all kind souls to complete a Lions Head Summit individually or in a group in the same manner as Kosta did 352 times.
Please Note: This challenge will be paused from 7 January 2019 until 15 February 2019 when Lions Head Mountain opens again to the public.
PAY IT FORWARD AND BECOME A LION ...
There are only 5 Steps to follow and there’s a free Vida Caffe coffee at the end, and a chance to win prizes from Ledlenser.
- 24 hours before your summit, donate ANY amount to www.lion500.co.za page. Please scroll to the donate point on the page. Send proof of donation to firstname.lastname@example.org, (we accept screenshots)
You will get a reply and a PDF of the summit number you are doing. PRINT THIS. This will also serve as confirmation for Vida to give your free coffee (one coffee only for whoever is uploading the photos, not for the entire group). The printout can be in black and white.
- Off you go on your hike with your OWN plastic bag for the litter or request one from the Vida van. Once you have reached the top and picked up litter, please take 2 group photos, one with the litter only, and one with your group and the number (without the litter in the group photo).
- When you are back down, go to the Vida van to give in your summit number page. Only if you have donated AND picked up litter do you one free coffee per group. You need to take a photo with one of the Vida Staff members and give in your summit number to get your coffee. Now you have 3 photos. Remember to throw your litter in the big bin near the van.
- Send your 3 photos via Whatsapp to 0828197801. You will get a photo back with the Lion 500 number and stamp as well as the template of what your post should look like.
- Upload the three stamped photos, tag 5 people you dare to do a Lion 500 summit via Instagram and Facebook. Remember to choose a POWERTRACK and an Inspirational quote on your post as well.
As a group you can do as many as you want in a day as long as you donate for each summit and upload your photos under a different member of your group. The litter picking part is optional and only necessary if you want to get a free coffee and enter the Ledlenser draw. Draw takes place on 7 January 2019.
To stand a chance win a LEDLENSER prize you MUST have donated and picked up litter.
To get a free coffee you must hand in your printed summit number to the Vida staff and have a proof of donation.
Whether you are a group or individual, ONLY ONE summit number will be allocated and only ONE FREE COFFEE PER GROUP
You can only enter the Ledlenser competition once and mulitple summits does NOT equal multiple entries.
What is the Lion 500?
The Lion 500 Challenge is an effort to hike Lionshead Mountain in Cape Town 500 times. One man has been given this task to complete and donors can donate per hike or a lump sum.
In the procress of doing 352 summits Kosta has injured himself but will continue slowly but surely. But he needs your help.
Running up mountains for these 5 Charities:
- Rape Crisis
- Animal Rescue (Fallen Angels and African Tails)
- Chipembere Rhino Foundation
- Depression SA
- WSAR (Wilderness Search and Rescue)
Why do I do it?
The hikes up Lionshead are for those who's power was taken from them, or have had lost it during life's events. It is a way to avenge those who suffer in silence, the humans and the animals.
The Lion 500 Challenge is an effort to inspire people from all walks of life to get back to what humans were designed to do. Be a collaobrative part of nature. As a human beings we are meant to take care of eachother, inspire eachother and empower eachother and use this combined strength to do the important thing and take care of other beings around us; humans, animals, plants and the elements which connect us all.
We are not only here to exist, but to fight for and empower humans and animals around us. We need each other. No person is an island. I have dedeicated to do the most simplest thing and reconnect with nature by going up a mountain 500 times. Along this journey I have come across animals, humans, plants and the true miracle of nature which is to bring peace back to the human spirit. To cut through all the materials we have become depended on and learn to trust and depend on eachother.
What an amazing journey this has become...educational and life changing.
I invite you to join me and beome part of the Lion 500 journey.
An Adventure With A Cause
Donors are elgible to join on a hike up Lionshead during any Lion 500 event.
Why Kosta chose these charities...
Rape Crisis is really special to me. It’s simple, I want to avenge those who have been victims and pass on good energy and even if I can pass on a teeny bit of personal empowerment, then I have made a dent. I have been educating myself on how much Rape Crisis Cape Town Trust is doing in the legal world to protect victims.
The South African Depression And Anxiety Group are close to my heart as I have lost a friend, and have friends, and have experienced depression myself. It is the silent killer which we need to talk about and stop looking away from. It’s a serious thing that you do not just snap out of. But what helps is providing a shoulder, a conversation, an exchange of good experiences and understanding.
Chipembere Rhino Foundation, it’s not just about the Rhinos but wildlife in general, IF WE CANNOT SAVE THE RHINO WITH ALL OUR RESOURCES AND INTELLIGENCE, THEN WE HAVE LOST. It’s symbolic of everything sacred and alive in the world. Protecting our environment instead of obsessing over material possessions. Save The Rhino, Save The World.
Fallen Angels Pet Rescue, it’s simple, we are the guardians of the world, the intelligent species and we are relied on by our furry friends to keep them safe, give them love and shelter and in return we get infinite love. There are thousands of dogs and cats who have been abandoned because of humans. Help us find a home for them. I know how difficult this can as Cape Town’s landlords in general make it impossible or costly to keep a loving pet. Fallen Angels do their best to care for and re-home these pets.
Wilderness Search and Rescue, this is an easy one to have close to my heart. Going up a mountain daily I have been part of few Mountain Rescue cases. Helping victims with broken bones, ligaments and other serious injuries down a mountain. This is not an easy process and not cheap either but we have real superheroes who offer their assistance for free to be first to the scene of mountain accidents and searches. They are volunteers but need the right tools and funding for serious rescue missions.
Read about Lion 500 in the News
- Aug 09, 2019 - USD $ 69.96
- "Thanks for everything" - Saraceno family
- Jul 10, 2019 - R 257.05
- "400 summit's done keep at it Kosta you are nearly done. Stay focused you are doing great." - Single-track
- May 23, 2019 - R 1 028.20
- "Well done Kosta" - Brian
- May 19, 2019 - R 100.00
- "Thank you for taking us safely today and contributing to such great causes. God bless you Costa " - Ansuya
- Mar 29, 2019 - USD $ 36.02
- "“It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” – J.K Rowling" - Anonymous
- Jan 07, 2019 - R 50.00
- ":-)" - Elon Musk
- Jan 06, 2019 - R 100.00
- "Until we meet again " - Fats
- Jan 05, 2019 - R 203.00
- "Last summit before she closes for maintenance " - NoSpeedLimit
- Jan 04, 2019 - R 102.82
- "Its great to see fellow hiker's positive response seeing us collecting the trash. This is such a great initiative to keep our mountains clean." - Cathy Hoogenhout
- Jan 03, 2019 - R 1 000.00
- "Good work, Kosta." - Jackie Romanov
- Jan 03, 2019 - R 102.82
- "Keep up the good work, Kosta! I admire your determination. " - Cathy Hoogenhout
- Jan 02, 2019 - R 50.00
- "SnapScan" - Yolandi de Wet
- Jan 02, 2019 - R 100.00
- "SnapScan" - Kenneth Speed
- Dec 31, 2018 - R 110.00
- "Well done Kosta! Not my first and definitely not my last hike for the cause " - Shirees
- Dec 27, 2018 - R 102.82
- "Creating awareness not only for your causes, but also all the rubbish and graffiti on the mountain is truly heart warming! Thank YOU! On my way now to go fill some black bags!" - Jaco
- Dec 26, 2018 - R 102.82
- "You asked for out help due to injury, we're here for you like you are there for your causes" - Fats
- Dec 22, 2018 - R 101.50
- "First hike of many to help you reach the 500 mark" - NoSpeedLimit
- Nov 04, 2018 - R 1 300.02
- "Hope you doing better!" - Kiveli
- Oct 25, 2018 - R 154.23
- "will rather give 1% to your cause than price of party ticket " - Not NJ
- Oct 25, 2018 - USD $ 72.23
- "Kosta - You are an inspiration! Keep fighting the good fight! Your causes are important ones! Much Love & Gratitude for your purpose!" - Hogan Family
- Oct 12, 2018 - R 200.00
- "Thanks for guiding me on my first ascent! “Argentino”" - Leonel
- Oct 05, 2018 - R 1 157.06
- "Keep it going! " - Kiveli
- Oct 04, 2018 - R 102.82
- "thank you and Good Luck...will double again when 500 done!!" - Neil
- Sep 12, 2018 - R 110.00
- "Happy Birthday Lionman " - Wild Things Outdoor
- Sep 09, 2018 - R 1 417.50
- "You’re a great inspiration to many! You’ve got loads of support behind you! Keep climbing " - Kiveli
- Aug 28, 2018 - USD $ 37.16
- "Amazing commitment Kosta! Well done on your efforts and helping these charity’s!" - Deon Ebel
- Aug 17, 2018 - R 1 149.12
- "The mountain man of Africa... #almosthrough" - Kiveli
- Aug 12, 2018 - R 205.64
- "I'm in awe of your achievement so far Kosta" - Tony and Norma Davison
- Jul 18, 2018 - R 68.89
- "I am in awe of you.. Wish I could spend my 67 minutes with you today but alas.. Prior commitments " - Fats
- Jul 16, 2018 - R 308.46
- "Congratulations on 300 summits!" - Lauren
- Jul 14, 2018 - USD $ 7.93
- "Love the missions up the mountain! keep up the great work!!" - Tobias
- Jul 09, 2018 - R 308.46
- "Let the people of the nation grow the nation. Let's restore the "village"!" - Neo
- Jul 04, 2018 - R 1 028.20
- "Keep up the good work, motherfucker!" - Wilco
- Jul 03, 2018 - R 1 014.04
- "Keep Climbing " - Kiveli
- Jul 02, 2018 - R 514.10
- "I'm with you till the end of the line " - Nikki
- Jul 02, 2018 - R 514.10
- "Never give up hope. Even when you don't feel strong, some how things will all turn out just fine :) " - Anonymous
- Jun 28, 2018 - USD $ 37.98
- "I believe in your project and what you set out to achieve " - Anonymous
- Jun 19, 2018 - R 102.82
- "You are doing something amazing, good luck. " - Stephanie
- Jun 12, 2018 - R 514.10
- "Thanks for doing this for such amazing causes " - Tess
- Jun 12, 2018 - R 100.00
- "SnapScan" - Monique Thirion
- Jun 01, 2018 - R 658.70
- "Half way there!" - Kiveli
- May 31, 2018 - R 205.64
- "YES man!" - Anonymous
- May 30, 2018 - USD $ 41.44
- "Keep climbing, Kosta! You are doing so well." - Cathy Farmer
- May 29, 2018 - R 514.10
- "The best hike yet was in the pouring rain! Glad I got to be there with you!" - Wesley
- May 24, 2018 - R 514.10
- "Keep it up! Well done.." - Stu Abbott
- May 22, 2018 - R 1 000.00
- "Keep up the great work. I'm a big fan and have nothing but respect for your cause, tenacity and generous spirit. Well done!" - @MrChandlerHouse
- May 15, 2018 - R 250.00
- "SnapScan" - SnapScan
- May 14, 2018 - R 300.00
- "You are such an inspiration! Thank you for all your efforts in raising awareness about the plight of others." - Anusuya
- May 12, 2018 - R 514.10
- "Well done Kostas! The world needs more warriors like you! " - sandra
- May 11, 2018 - R 102.82
- "Inspired by your Adventure bud! Keep going. " - Wild Things Outdoor
- May 08, 2018 - R 359.87
- "For my shirt - looking forward to hiking The Lion with you again soon" - Kenneth Speed
- May 07, 2018 - R 154.23
- "It's people like you who should really be honoured for the challenging efforts you put yourself through to help out those in need. Keep up the good work!" - Wayne Hendrickse
- May 04, 2018 - R 260.00
- "Ask "Why?", and he'll respond, "Because I can." Thank you for sharing a bit of your journey with me, Kosta. And for being my hiking buddy on my first Lion's Head sunrise" - Vanessa
- May 02, 2018 - R 482.42
- "Life is about resistance, we need resistance in order to grow. " - Kiveli
- Apr 27, 2018 - R 102.82
- "Thank you for helping - every bit makes such a difference!" - Wendy De La Harpe
- Apr 27, 2018 - R 102.82
- "To an inspiring man getting others around him to get out more and think about those in need!" - Chloe De La Harpe
- Apr 25, 2018 - R 514.10
- "The world needs more people like you. It may feel too hard to continue the fight some days...but do not give up...you are who the rest of us look to for hope." - Charlene Weiss
- Apr 24, 2018 - R 102.82
- "Strongs brother you're doing an amazing job thusfar, almost half way!" - Roelof Louw
- Apr 22, 2018 - R 205.64
- "I admire your dedication, Kosta! Keep it up! I will join you for many more hikes." - Cathy Hoogenhout
- Apr 20, 2018 - R 205.64
- "Keep up the good work! Looking forward to join you again :)" - Anne Mone Frederiksen
- Apr 19, 2018 - USD $ 52.84
- "Good luck Kosta!" - Julianne Chai
- Apr 18, 2018 - USD $ 83.43
- "Go Kosta! Hear you roar. Awesome causes." - Lindiwe
- Apr 17, 2018 - R 514.10
- "370 to go. " - Kum Mulenga
- Apr 11, 2018 - R 1 028.20
- "Well done on 200 summits " - @Kyleincpt
- Apr 09, 2018 - R 734.86
- "Almost 200 keep going!" - Kiveli
- Apr 01, 2018 - USD $ 44.46
- "i wish i was there buddy to join your hikes :-) " - Dimitris/Mai
- Mar 31, 2018 - USD $ 17.79
- "Looking forward to hiking with you tomorrow " - The Speeds
- Mar 17, 2018 - R 514.10
- "Salute!" - Georgios Michaelides
- Mar 13, 2018 - R 110.00
- "Keep going kosta" - Aretha
- Mar 09, 2018 - R 500.00
- "Why climb Lions ahead any other way #Kosta@lionshead500challenge" - Christopher Heaney
- Feb 27, 2018 - R 510.00
- "Keep it up man! Amazing work :D " - Warryn
- Feb 23, 2018 - R 308.46
- "Happy birthday bro! Keep the legs moving and thanks for setting such a great example!" - Dwayne
- Feb 12, 2018 - R 514.10
- "Nothing short of admirable Kosta! " - Kim G
- Feb 11, 2018 - R 308.46
- "Thanks for an unforgettable experience Kosta and your personal commitment to the community. " - Duncan McMillan
- Feb 10, 2018 - R 5 000.00
- "Nice one Kosta. Keep up the awesome work!" - Anonymous
- Feb 07, 2018 - R 510.00
- "keep inspiring...." - Taahir Osman
- Feb 05, 2018 - R 400.00
- "Well done Kosta! Appreciate you taking care of the mountain and the people you see along the way each day. " - Lauren Medcalf
- Feb 05, 2018 - R 200.00
- "Great idea, keep up the good work" - Julie Scott
- Feb 02, 2018 - USD $ 26.65
- "You are the change that you wish to see in the world!" - Elias Vrohidis
- Feb 02, 2018 - R 102.82
- "Stay Strong :-)" - Mandy Meyer
- Feb 01, 2018 - R 407.74
- "Keep up the good work!" - Kiveli
- Feb 01, 2018 - USD $ 44.42
- "Thanks for all your help on the mountain last night!" - Christina
- Jan 31, 2018 - USD $ 43.33
- "It was a pleasure to hike with you Kosta. Thanks again for your help" - Carol and Donald Borland
- Jan 30, 2018 - USD $ 20.00
- "Keep going Kosta! " - Miriam Mannak
- Jan 18, 2018 - R 514.10
- "Look forward to many a lioning with you this year Kosta" - Katya Soggot
- Jan 12, 2018 - R 1 028.20
- "Great initiative." - YiorgoZ
- Jan 11, 2018 - R 117.21
- "Inspirational! We need more people with your dedication and perseverance and empathy" - Andrew