- By: Adelle Vermeulen
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/literacy-center
Heart to Heart is a local non-profit organisation based in a local town in the Garden Route called Mossel Bay. We provide food parcels in our community and have counselors in some of the school that provide emotional support for teens, as well as run after school programs for kids between the ages of 8-13 years old and a lunch meal. We also provide support in crisis pregnancy.
There is a large number of kids from 7-10 years of age who need urgent help in reading, writing and understanding English in the community. 70% of children between ages 7-10 will not be able to speak, write or read English by the time they are 13years old. Only 50% of them will go on to write final exams in high school.
This tugged at our hearts and therefor the Literacy center was birthed! Where volunteers along with our Education Coordinator will asses and walk alongside these young ones to make sure they know they are not just a statistic but a life that counts!! We need R55 000 to the content and also for renovations to the space that we are using in a local primary school. Donating to this cause will help us help the next generation to flourish, grow and be equipped for the years to come. We are passionate about education and the next generation of leaders.
- May 30, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Changing Lives!" - Erica C
- May 15, 2019 - USD $ 35.09
- "Keep up the good work!" - Clyde
- May 15, 2019 - R 514.10
- "We believe in you! " - Basil George Brown
- May 15, 2019 - R 205.64
- "Shine on!" - Zane C
- May 15, 2019 - R 514.10
- "Investing in our future Leaders!" - Erica C
- May 09, 2019 - R 102.82
- "Believing in future leaders!" - Blessing
Heart to Heart
Heart-to-Heart Care Centre aims to bring life, hope and opportunity to children made orphaned or vulnerable in South Africa, by HIV/AIDS, TB and poverty. Heart-to-Heart believes that together WE CAN change the destiny of children one child at a time.
What are we about? I'm so glad you asked! We run 4 growing projects at the moment and we're super excited to see them grow.
- PREGNANCY CARE: Walking alongside women facing unplanned pregnancies.
- KIDS ON THE MOVE: This is a afterschool prgram where staff and volunteers create a loving and nurturing environment for ages 7-10 years can come and receive lunch as well as homework help.
- LITERACY CENTRE: 70% of children between ages 8-10 will not be able to speak, write or read english by the time they are 13years old. Only 50% of them will go on to write final exams in high school. This tugged at our hearts and therefor the Literacy centre was birthed! Where volunteers along with our Education Coordinator will asses and walk alongside these young ones to make sure they know they are not just a statistic but a life that counts!!
- CHANGE WON PRJECT: The change won project is an initiative where we empower students to become the best versions of themselves. We have a counselor in almost every high school in our town which supports teens with an ear to listen.