Logan Guillaume Slabbert
- By: Wilmie Slabbert
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/logan-slabbert
My name is Wilmie Slabbert and I am the mother of Logan Guillaume Slabbert. He will be 1 year old on 27/12/2020. We are from Windhoek Namibia, however Logan was born in Cape Town.
This is our story
When we found out we were having a little boy, we were ecstatic. However, at our 20 week appointment our Dr noticed something is wrong with his little heart. After a second and third opinion it was decided I should head to Cape Town to see a specialist. At 24 weeks pregnant our little man was diagnosed with Tetralogy of Fallot - Tetralogy of Fallot is a combination of four congenital abnormalities. The four defects include a ventricular septal defect (VSD), pulmonary valve stenosis, a misplaced aorta and a thickened right ventricular wall (right ventricular hypertrophy). This was the biggest shock of our lives leaving us devastated. It was then decided I should give birth in Cape Town at Christian Barnard Memorial.
Our little boy was born on 27 December 2019 at Christian Barnard Memorial in Cape Town via emergency c-section at 38 weeks and extremely small at 2.4 kgs. However at birth it was not only his little heart that was an emergency, the doctors noticed numerous physical medical problems that could not have been seen on any scans. He strtuggled to breath and had to be intubated. He had an anal malformation meaning he could not poop.
At 1 day old they had to give him his first operation, a Colostomy, a bag on his stomach where his poop can go. A few weeks later he got the Tracheostomy so that the intubation tube could be removed. This is the little tube you can see in his throat. Not too long after this he received his first Heart operation, the actual and primary reason that we were there. A Blalock shunt was inserted.
After all this our little hero was still growing each and every day. He was so strong and resilient, even after all the doubts that the Doctors had. He was on a ventilator for a while and then finally was able to breath on his own and go on just oxygen.
After almost 3 months in the PICU in Cape Town we could finally come home on 10 March 2020.
All these operations were however just temporary fixes until he is big enough to have the actual corrective surgeries. He is still on oxygen due to his heart condition and his lungs that are still a bit weak but looking past all this he is the happiest little boy ever.
We are returning to Cape Town January 2021 for follow up corrective operations like his heart which is open heart surgery and colostomy reversal.
We are still paying off medical bills from the first hospital stay and surgeries and due the fact that the hospital and doctors are all above medical aid tarrifs leaving us with enormous co-payments. Logan is also still on a lot of medications that are also extremely expensive. And then also with our new journey around the corner again and new medical bills on top of the existing ones.
We will do anything for our little boy, please help us help Logan grow into the little boy that he is meant to be.
- Mar 01, 2021 - R 300.00
- "." - M
- Feb 18, 2021 - USD $ 67.66
- "Hey jonge. Hope things are going well. Veel sterkte groeten uit canada" - William
- Feb 02, 2021 - R 200.00
- "Bid nog steeds vir julle!!" - Marcelle
- Jan 20, 2021 - USD $ 66.96
- "Ons dra julle op aan ons Hemelse Vader! Liefde" - Sarina & Morné
- Jan 08, 2021 - R 1 000.00
Ons glo saam met julle die operasies sal suksesvol wees!!" - V Oosthuysen
- Dec 23, 2020 - R 200.00
- "Sterkte!! Bid vir julle!!" - Marcelle
- Dec 15, 2020 - R 500.00
Julle is in ons gebede." - Anonymous
- Dec 11, 2020 - USD $ 6.67
- "MRD" - Mr d
- Dec 07, 2020 - R 500.00
- "Bid vir julle!" - Anonymous
- Dec 07, 2020 - R 1 000.00
My ou vriend se sterk seun. Julle is in ons gebede." - Clifford Yates
- Dec 07, 2020 - R 1 500.00
Alles Liebe und gute für den kleinen Mann." - Jana Werner
- Dec 06, 2020 - USD $ 32.92
- "Sterkte! Ons gedagtes is saam met julle." - Paul & Alida Willemse
- Dec 04, 2020 - R 500.00
- "julle is in ons gebede en gedagtes, sterkte " - IanK
- Dec 03, 2020 - USD $ 19.51
- "Trust that God is enveloping you and your family with His comfort and presence " - Anonymous
- Nov 28, 2020 - R 2 000.00
- "Baie sterkte, ons dink aan julle!" - Christa en Pieter Hoffman
- Nov 28, 2020 - USD $ 65.27
- "Praying for a bright future for Logan x " - Claudette Deysel
- Nov 27, 2020 - R 1 000.00
Logan mamma en pappa is in my hart en gebede" - Jhb
- Nov 27, 2020 - R 200.00
Sterkte julle!!" - Marcelle
- Nov 27, 2020 - USD $ 20.00
- "Logan" - David
- Nov 26, 2020 - USD $ 327.58
- "Logan is 'n klein held. Baie liefde en sterkte met al die uitdagings. Julle is in ons gebede. " - Gys Burger
- Nov 24, 2020 - USD $ 13.04
- "Dink baie aan jou. Hou aan so sterk wees. " - Anonymous
- Nov 18, 2020 - R 1 000.00
Dear Lord. I put this little baby and his parents in the hands of the All Mighty. Amen" - Beatrix
- Nov 17, 2020 - R 1 000.00
Lief jou Logan. Baie liefde Ouma Miemie" - Miemie Conlan
- Nov 17, 2020 - R 3 000.00
Mag God jou seën op jou pad vorentoe. Baie liefdee" - Dirkie en Marietha Heyns
- Nov 14, 2020 - USD $ 64.19
- "Sending all our love and prayers to Logan and his family!" - Chantel F
- Nov 14, 2020 - USD $ 128.38
- "Good bless you Good will provide all needs in Jesus name" - dipo
- Nov 14, 2020 - USD $ 82.71
- "Logan, you are loved!" - Wendy Wynjeterp
- Nov 13, 2020 - R 5 000.00
- "Love you lots & lots!!" - Oumie & Oupie