Lymph Node Transplant for Willene
- By: Willene Clair Venter
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/lymph-node-transplant-for-willene
On 3 September 2016, I was diagnosed with Inflammatory Breast Cancer. The radical and prolonged treatment of 15 months resulted in severe lymphodema of my left arm and hand.
This condition makes even the most mundane tasks, e.g. lifting an item with the affected hand and arm, something I am unable to do. So imagine wanting to lift your suitcase, my hand and arm cannot due to severe swelling. I have to wear a compression sleeve and glove daily and cannot go without this. The only way I can describe this is to wear a jersey on one half of your upper body in 40 degree heat, and you cannot remove it. This is night and day 24/7.
The only hope I have is a vascular lymph node transplant. I have travel to Cape Town to consult Dr Pienaar, the only doctor at this moment in South Africa that has successfully done this operation. I am a very good candidate. But the chances of my medical aid paying for an experimental surgery is very very low. The cost they will be asking for is only R21 342.19 while I will be left with R25 739.19.
The quote has been sent to my medical aid but from telephonic conversations it seems this will become a drawn out battle without end. I have a fixed date I can have this done 9 May 2018 and appeal for help in raising the full R47 081,48 before this date.
- Apr 03, 2018 - R 154.23
- "You are an inspiration thank you " - Stacey Naidoo
- Feb 06, 2018 - R 1 028.20
- "I understand the big C journey, although not as intense as what you’re going through. Keeping you in my prayers XxX " - A friend XxX
- Feb 06, 2018 - R 51.41
- "Sterkte vriendin." - Niekie
- Feb 06, 2018 - R 110.00
- "Ons Vader sal voorsien ?" - Met liefde
- Feb 05, 2018 - R 205.64
- "You are a true inspiration, a super strong woman inside and out, keep fighting, you have got this" - Nicoleen Weyers