Hope for 2020
- By: Martha van Zyl
- Short URL: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/martha-van-zyl
My name is Martha van Zyl, I'm 41 and live in Johannesburg. I was retrenched in November 2019 but fortunately found a contract position immediately. That contract expired at the end of March 2020.
I've had two very successful interviews in March and still send applications out daily. During the national lock down it is unlikely that I'll be able to secure employment.
I'm fortunate to be living with a wonderful partner, but cannot be a financial burden to him, because my financial responsibilities aren't his. I've cut down all my expenses to the basics:
The interest payment on the student loan I've taken out for my nephew, my cellphone contract, my medical aid, my mom's medical aid, life insurance, car insurance, retirement annuity, funeral cover. There's no provision for groceries or household expenses. Nothing for petrol, but that's probably the only upside about being unemployed. I have no savings and nothing to save.
I'm on chronic medication for depression and anxiety, and people keep checking in with me to see how I'm doing being cooped up. Honestly, as an introvert, I don't mind having time to craft and do online courses and bake and cook for my partner as his company goes through tough times too. I feel overwhelmed when I think about paying my bills until everything has been resolved.
Knowing I'll be able to meet my responsibilities reaches beyond myself. It will give my mother and partner immense peace of mind.
I'm unable to completely expresses the depth of my despair. I don't want people to think I'm being overly dramatic.
- May 21, 2020 - USD $ 19.97
- "I really hope things get better. " - Tanya
- May 05, 2020 - R 1 050.00
- "When the road looks rough ahead And you're miles and miles From your nice warm bed You just remember what your old pal said Boy, you've got a friend in me" - Randy Newman (not really)
- Apr 29, 2020 - R 262.50
- "We're all in this together! " - Anonymous
- Apr 23, 2020 - USD $ 55.54
- "Sterkte" - Anonymous
- Apr 19, 2020 - R 1 575.00
- "Sometimes the hardest thing is asking for help - thank you for being brave - you are an inspiration. " - Friend
- Apr 16, 2020 - R 1 000.00
- "Really sorry for what you're going through, friend xxx" - NA
- Apr 01, 2020 - R 105.00
- "Good luck" - Anon
- Mar 30, 2020 - R 2 100.00
- "Good Luck." - Anonymous
Martha van Zyl Support Cause
My name is Martha van Zyl, I'm 41 and live in Johannesburg. I was retrenched in November 2019 but fortunately found a contract position immediately. That contract expires at the end of March 2020.
The money I manage to raise will pay my bills at the end of April, and anything left over can be saved for the following months, should things not improve.